Files Stored in Temp Directory

שאלה

• This is more curiosity than anything, but why does Visual Studio store needed files in my temp directory? Specifically the v4.0.AssemblyAttributes.vb file. The error I get when launching a project or solution after opening VS2010 Ultimate the first time each day is:

Unable to open module file 'C:\Users\myuseraccount \AppData\Local\Temp\.NETFramework,Version=v4.0.AssemblyAttributes.vb': The system cannot find the file specified.     C:\Users\myuseraccount \AppData\Local\Temp\.NETFramework,Version=v4.0.AssemblyAttributes.vb

It just seems a bit silly to store a file VS needs in a temp directory. Yes, the file usually gets created by VS2010, but you have to close and reopen your project or solution for VS to find it and it can take several attempts before the file is created or you have to rebuild your project/solution. It would be better if VS stored these types of files in its own installation directory or the directory it creates in My Documents to help ensure that the file is not removed.

I clean my temp directories out each day and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does so. Storing requisite files in a temp folder just seems silly, as stated earlier. Is there a way to change the folder VS2010 uses to store these files in?

• הועבר על-ידי YiChun Chen יום שלישי 10 אוגוסט 2010 07:09 VB issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    יום שני 09 אוגוסט 2010 15:02

תשובות

כל התגובות

• Hi Ldonyo,

I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum to the "Visual Basic IDE" forum, since the issue is related to VB IDE. There are more experts in the "Visual Basic IDE" forum.

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    יום שלישי 10 אוגוסט 2010 07:09
  • Hi,

I will check with some internal resources and see if I can get an answer for you.

Thanks,

Keith Fink
    Microsoft Communities Support

יום שישי 13 אוגוסט 2010 18:57
  • I appreciate that, Keith!
    יום שישי 13 אוגוסט 2010 19:18
  • I heard back from some VS experts, and unfortunately don't see a way to have VS use a different folder for this. There is a Connect bug filed on this issue already at https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/526663/vb-2010-client-assemblyattributes-vb-file-missing?wa=wsignin1.0. Hopefully the VS team can consider it for future versions.

Keith Fink
    Microsoft Communities Support

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי Keith Fi - MSFT יום רביעי 18 אוגוסט 2010 19:23
    • סומן כתשובה על-ידי ldonyo יום רביעי 18 אוגוסט 2010 20:05
    יום רביעי 18 אוגוסט 2010 19:16
  • I had seen that, as well. I was just hoping for some sort of action on it by now. I find it hard to believe that a different folder could not be used for storing files that are not supposed to be temporary. Office used to do this a few versions back and even they figured out that the Temp directory is not the place to store non-temporary files.

Thanks for trying, Keith.

יום רביעי 18 אוגוסט 2010 20:05
  • This just bit me in the ____... I did a disk cleanup, cleared out my temp folders, and I can't rebuild a solution I was working on
    I wrote a book :) http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Visual-Studio-2008-Programming/dp/0071604081
    יום שישי 08 אוקטובר 2010 17:46
  • You have got to be freaking kidding me. I cannot believe I got bit by this silly error.
    יום חמישי 08 מרץ 2012 16:03