none
Capturing Document Metadata from Users

Question

• Hello Experts,

Working in SP 2007. I have a Document Library set up which will house a lot of PDFs.

Users will submit their PDF to me (they cannot upload/edit the Doc Library) via a form. That form will have the fields (columns) I need populated in order to ensure I receive the related metadata (user knows the metadata, I don't).

Each PDF needs to have a fair bit of metadata tagged to it. So, a single document might be:

Document "A" with metadata of:
    - Region
    - City
    - Group
    - Building

Now, that's not so bad for metadata. Except... the very deep levels each of those go in to. For example, you can imagine having to choose from a drop down of over 140 Regions, then another drop down of over 400 cities, and yet another drop down of over 900 buildings. And sometimes there are multiple selections! Needless to say.... it's just not functional for the user.

So, I built a Lookup column, where all related metadata is attached to a single Lookup Number. Then, all my users would have to know is their "Lookup Numbers", enter it in the form, and all the data would be populated. However... this is completely dysfunctional in my environment as it is imperative I have SORT capabilities on each of those exact pieces of metadata. And, since Lookup columns won't sort... I have had so scratch 3 weeks worth of work on that.

So, now I'm just at a loss of how I can maintain this very large document library in SharePoint, and yet find a way to capture the document's related information from the user, and get it populated in to the list without the dreadfully long drop-down choices.

I am sure I'm not the only person who has had to try to do this. Oh.. it should be remembered.. in my environment, I do not have access to SPD or BDCs.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    avi

samedi 31 mars 2012 00:38

Toutes les réponses