Unexpected Error In Binding Visual Studio Solution to SourceSafe (Windows 7)

Question

• I am getting this same error trying to BIND from VS2010 SP1 to VSS 2005 on Windows 7; when I click [OK]

It is recommended that you restart the application as soon as possible.
    Error: The specified procedure cannot be found.
    File: vsee\internal\inc\vscomptr.inl
    Line number: 621

I have tried the suggestions in this and other threads

1. register (regsvr32) oledb32.dll -fails-
    2. reinstall MDAC; cannot figure out how on Win7 as MDAC is 'protected'
    3. reinstall WSH; also cannot figure out how to do on Win7

I'm sure this is a Windows 7 issue because I can successfully bind from another machine which is WinXP not Win7. Also, I can register oledb32.dll on this other machine. It appears that MDAC and WSH are 'protected' on Win7 so how am I supposed to fix this?

My development is halted and I am dead in the water until I get this working. HELP!

Thanks in advance.

lundi 13 février 2012 21:10

Toutes les réponses

• Could you please try this update for VSS 2005: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=291

"1. register (regsvr32) oledb32.dll -fails-"

Could you please try to read this KB, and get some information from regsvr32: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

And I want to get more inforamtion about your OS, or how can reproduce this error on my Windows 7 system?

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

mardi 14 février 2012 06:40
  • Bob - thanks for the quick response.

1. VSS 2005 update (id=291)

KB976375; I will install
    KB943847; already done, supposed to facilitate VS2010 <-> VSS2005

2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

$ regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll"

Error: The module "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll" failed to load
    Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path ...

NOTE: this works on a WinXP laptop
    NOTE: file oledb32.dll is identical on Win7 and WinXP

I will look into 249873; there is a link re: registering oledb32 using C++ which I will try and figure out

3. more inforamtion about your OS

VS 2010 Ultimate SP1 and VSS 2005

OS -- MSInfo32
    --------------------------------------------------
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 
    Other OS Description  Not Available 
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation 
    System Name DVSALPHA-PC 
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc. 
    System Model OptiPlex GX280 
    System Type X86-based PC 
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz, 3391 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s) 

NOTE: Win7 SP1 is out -- do you think anything in SP1 might fix the problem?

Again thanks for you help!

TerryMx

mardi 14 février 2012 21:33
  • Well, I searched it internal, and find many bug records similar with it in Visual Studio 2010, so I think it is not a OS issue. Of course, we still recommend you to update to the SP1, since it can fix many problems for OS.

For this issue, I suggest you to submit one connect record in our Connect site for VS 2010 / TFS 2010 with VSS 2005. And it seems only occur on some project types, could you please try to create other type project in VS 2010, and test it.

For workaround, I think you could try to use TFS Source Control instead of it, ot try to use other third-party version control to manage yout code temporarily.

Bob Bao [MSFT]

mercredi 15 février 2012 02:46
  • Bob -

First, I applied KB943847 as you suggested previously (no help); note it is older than KB976375 which I had already done

Well, I searched it internal, and find many bug records similar with it in Visual Studio 2010, so I think it is not a OS issue. Of course, we still recommend you to update to the SP1, since it can fix many problems for OS. 

I think it *is* a Win7 problem because I can successfully bind to the same VSS database on WinXp -- both using the same VS2010. Something is hosed w/ OLEDB on Win7 -in my opinion-

For this issue, I suggest you to submit one connect record in our Connect site for VS 2010 / TFS 2010 with VSS 2005. And it seems only occur on some project types, could you please try to create other type project in VS 2010, and test it. 

1. I will post my original question on https://connect.microsoft.com/ as you suggest.

2. I see no reason to try another solution; AGAIN I can bind the same solution on WinXP

For workaround, I think you could try to use TFS Source Control instead of it, ot try to use other third-party version control to manage yout code temporarily. 

I have no plans to switch to TFS. I should not have to. My experience is with VSS and AGAIN the bind is working on WinXp. 

Thanks for your help.

TerryMx

mercredi 15 février 2012 17:14
  • hello,
    I'm with the same error.
    managed to solve?
    jeudi 16 février 2012 13:51
  • I thought I had the problem resolved after installing the following
    . Windows 7 SP1
    . Six recent VS2010 updates

Because -- after Win7 SP1 I have a new oledb32.dll. Everything I have seen says this error is caused by OLEDB. Again, I don't have the problem on WinXP.

Unfortunately, I am still getting the error.

Note than I have also reported this bug on MS Connect [ https://connect.microsoft.com ]
    . no response yet

TerryMx

vendredi 17 février 2012 00:29
  • Hi TerryMx,

For this issue, I will help you to consult it internal. I paste the connect link here http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/725086/unexpected-error-in-binding-visual-studio-solution-to-sourcesafe-windows-7#details may help other members have the same issue to search.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]

vendredi 17 février 2012 03:21
  • Based on the error you are getting, the following article that may help (it says Visual Studio 2005, but you can use the  workaround in VS 2010 as well):

952102 Open/add from SourceSafe result in Unexpected error encountered
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;952102

This might be useful also:

952043 In Visual Studio a SourceSafe Get returns Unexpected error encountered on Line number: 5907
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;952043

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

vendredi 17 février 2012 20:41
  • Trevor -

I looked into both of the links you sent me

952102 Open/add from SourceSafe result in Unexpected error encountered
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;952102

I did what the article suggested

$ cd "\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE"
    $ devenv.exe /resetskippkgs /log .\devenv.log

- no log was created
    - still cannot bind; same error

952043 In Visual Studio a SourceSafe Get returns Unexpected error encountered on Line number: 5907
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;952043

I did not try this one (the error is not vscomptr) which would involve unbinding all projects, removing all projects from the solution, adding all existing projects back, and then rebinding

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to stress *again* that I think this is a Win7 problem because I can bind the same solution containing the same projects on an Acer laptop running WinXP. The problem maybe OLEDB or MDAC or WSH but I feel it is tied to Win7.

TerryMx

lundi 20 février 2012 23:17
  • You may be correct; the  problem could be OLEDB or MDAC or WSH. Since you have tried a lot of things, I just want to make sure I understand the scenario now.

1. Were you able to register oledb.dll eventually?
    2. What build number of Visual SourceSafe do you have installed now on the Windows 7 machine?
    3. Are you running Devenv.exe as administrator?
    4. I would like to see a log to see if the vvsprovider addin is being loaded.
    5. Please run this command and post the log (mind any word wrap; this is one line): devenv.exe /resetskippkgs /log  C:\temp\devenv.log

jeudi 23 février 2012 19:14
  • Trevor --

You may be correct; the problem could be OLEDB or MDAC or WSH. Since you have tried a lot of things, I just want to make sure I understand the scenario now.

1. Were you able to register oledb.dll eventually?

No. As I reported in this Forum and also in MS Connect, when I installed Win7 SP1 I got a new oledb32.dll (v6 instead of v2). But, I still cannot register the dll and I get the same vscomptr error when binding.

2. What build number of Visual SourceSafe do you have installed now on the Windows 7 machine?

Visual SourceSafe Version 8.0.50727.4414

I have installed the VSS 2005 update (KB976375) which is supposed to aid VS <-> VSS integration

3. Are you running Devenv.exe as administrator?

Yes; title bar shows 'DVNet Microsoft Visual Studio (Administrator)'

For grins I ran devenv.exe in compatibility mode WinXP SP3 and tried to bind; same error

4. I would like to see a log to see if the vvsprovider addin is being loaded.

5. Please run this command and post the log (mind any word wrap; this is one line): devenv.exe /resetskippkgs /log C:\temp\devenv.log

I have already done this but I did it again per your instructions; no log is created

$ cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE"

$ devenv.exe /resetskippkgs /log  C:\temp\devenv.log

$ dir C:\temp\devenv.log
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Thanks for your assistance.

TerryMx

jeudi 23 février 2012 20:54
  • Hi TerryMx,

I am very sorry we are having such difficulties getting this log file.   I am not sure why this is a problem.

I tested the exact syntax on my  Windows 7 machine from the Start> Run dialog, and it makes a file.   This occurs whether or not a devenv.log exists or not in the C:\temp folder.

Are you running this command from the Run dialog?

Using the same  account that starts Visual Studio, can you create a text file in the C:\temp folder using Notepad?

vendredi 2 mars 2012 22:22
  • Do you still need help?

jeudi 8 mars 2012 17:22