NEF files and Mac OS

Question

• Hello,

I sent a message earlier, but apparently it did not get through. I have been a longtime user of iView MediaPro, love the program, but it wouldn't support my Nikon D300 12-bit or 14-bit NEF (RAW) files. So I purchased Expression Media2, hoping that would solve the problem. It didn't. When I try to open an NEF file it says "unknown error [0]." I am running the latest Leopard OS X 10.5.1 software on the Mac.

I love the old iView software and hope that you can fix this problem. There are probably thousands of us out there who need this kind of help.

Betty
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:03 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I posted in the other thread, too, but want to make sure this one has the right info. The Mac OS should support the D300 - but you may have to change the rendering preferences for RAW files to Apple. Service pack 1 for EM2 will support the D700 and D300 under the manufacturer's rendering engine.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley
    Microsoft Expression Media Support
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:46 PM

All replies

• Betty,

I have been shooting the D300 almost since its release.  Early on there was little to no support for the nef files soon Adobe in camera raw and dng converter can readily deal with the raw files.  Once that occurred I had no problems, as I use Bridge/lightroom to edit, sort, some keywording, etc, then I convert to dng.  EM for me only sees the dngs or derviatives of dngs. 

The experiences I have seen people go through when a new camera comes out, has fully convinced me of the use of open formats.  In fact, I am seriously considering converting all of my nefs into dng upon import.

Since you are on a Mac, do you have the most recent version of Quicktime installed?  If not that may be your problem with the openingnefs, as I had been thinking that was the sticking point others have had using the Mac.  Also you may want to search this forum as there was lots of discussions early this year about this exact issue.  I do nto remember any ofthe details since I have been using dngs.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    Scott
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Hello,

I posted in the other thread, too, but want to make sure this one has the right info. The Mac OS should support the D300 - but you may have to change the rendering preferences for RAW files to Apple. Service pack 1 for EM2 will support the D700 and D300 under the manufacturer's rendering engine.

Regards,
    Anita Oakley
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Hello Scott,

Thank you for your great advice. I also use Lightroom but until now haven't been converting my NEF files to DNG unless needed. I just tested a DNG and it works! Finally. Guess I'll have to build DNG conversions into my workflow, not something I particularly look forward to.

I do have the most recent QuickTime software installed. In fact, ME wouldn't install until I had updated that software.

More thoughts on NEF are welcome. Is there a NEF plugin or something for the Mac?

Again, your help is much appreciated.

Betty
    Friday, August 29, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Hello Scott,

Thank you for your great advice. I also use Lightroom but until now haven't been converting my NEF files to DNG unless needed. I just tested a DNG and it works! Finally. Guess I'll have to build DNG conversions into my workflow, not something I particularly look forward to.

I do have the most recent QuickTime software installed. In fact, ME wouldn't install until I had updated that software.

More thoughts on NEF are welcome. Is there a NEF plugin or something for the Mac?

Betty
  • Hello Scott,

Betty
  • Hello Scott,

Betty
    Friday, August 29, 2008 11:16 PM
  • Anita Oakley said:

Hello,

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

SP1 does not support Mac.  When can we get a Mac OSX version instead of a workaround?
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Betty Sederquist said:

Hello,

I sent a message earlier, but apparently it did not get through. I have been a longtime user of iView MediaPro, love the program, but it wouldn't support my Nikon D300 12-bit or 14-bit NEF (RAW) files. So I purchased Expression Media2, hoping that would solve the problem. It didn't. When I try to open an NEF file it says "unknown error [0]." I am running the latest Leopard OS X 10.5.1 software on the Mac.

I love the old iView software and hope that you can fix this problem. There are probably thousands of us out there who need this kind of help.

Betty

I have exactly the same problem.  The answer is EM2 does NOT support NEF files currently and I can not get a response from them as to when they will.  See this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946333/en-us

( Please see my follow up to this message! )
    • Proposed as answer by Evan215 Monday, December 15, 2008 10:03 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Anita Oakley said:

Hello,

Regards,
    Anita Oakley

OK, sorry Anita,  I stand corrected. However there is ambiguous info. on this subject, SP1 will indeed correct for the NEF glitch.  One info. page says there is no work around for Mac, another says there is.  Anyway.....

Here is an SP1 Rollup download page:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=EAB20BE5-785E-45B9-97B8-9172AF5EE0C5&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

It is available for WIN and MAC OSX!  Just remeber to delete your previous version of EM2 first before updating.
    BTW- the new ver. for OSX will read- [ Version 1.0.3 (9058) ].  Good luck!  ea.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:24 PM