none
How to automatically go to next html page at the completion of video?

Question

• Hello, I have YouTube content embedded on an html page.  When the video is done running, I would like the page to toggle to the next html page.  I have tried using a behavior "go to url", but it doesn't respond and stays on the current page.  Do you have any suggestions?
    Friday, May 07, 2010 9:30 PM

All replies

• Not sure you will be able to.  I would think that the embedded content, YouTube, would have to provide a mechanism to do this and I don't think they do.

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Friday, May 07, 2010 9:35 PM
  • I think you are right.  Since I am creating my own playlists on my webpages, how about if I use the page transition effect and time it based on the video's time signature?  Would that work?
    Friday, May 07, 2010 9:47 PM
  • No.  Page transitions are outdated, and I believe unsupported in any other browser except IE (over 50% of the market share).

They way to do this, properly, is to create your own Flash player.  Then you can provide the mechanism to do what you need after the movie plays.

Just note that what you are doing breaks the trust of your visitor on your website.  You should never change the page a visitor is viewing without them accepting it or triggering it.  You'll find that visitors will get very frustrated with a page that changes pages automatically - read that as they will never come back.

--
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Friday, May 07, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Good advice.  Never thought of it like that since there are automatic playlists on YouTube.  Thank you for your help.
    Friday, May 07, 2010 9:58 PM
  • The difference is Youtube is changing the video in the player not the page the visitor is on.

For a Flash Player with playlist support check out:

http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/wimpy_rave.html

I'm sure if you search Google you can find pre-made Flash players that simulate a Youtube like player.

--

Friday, May 07, 2010 10:01 PM
  • What happens when the visitor pauses the video? What if the visitor doesn't want to go automatically to the next page? Visitors are funny about wanting to control their own browsing experience. Why not just put a prominent "Continue" button below the player?

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Friday, May 07, 2010 10:26 PM