none
How to insert GIF to Expression Blend 2 and make use of transparent background

Question

• I'm new to Blend and have not found how to insert a GIF into Blend.
    I want my image to have the transparent background features that is possible with GIF's.

Can anyone please explain how to handle GIF's with Blend please.

(I'm creating Silverlight 2 applications to be used in VS2008 as an asp.NET page)

geoff
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,
     To use transparency features in Blend stick to the PNG format.
    You can add GIF files to Blend projects but if you double-click on the GIF file it will open in Paint and loose the transparency.
    Expression Design is really handy for this, PNG transparency is a snap to create.
    If you don't have Expression Design you can use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or even the free GIMP.
    • Marked as answer by geoffHome Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:08 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,
     To use transparency features in Blend stick to the PNG format.
    You can add GIF files to Blend projects but if you double-click on the GIF file it will open in Paint and loose the transparency.
    Expression Design is really handy for this, PNG transparency is a snap to create.
    If you don't have Expression Design you can use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or even the free GIMP.
    • Marked as answer by geoffHome Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:08 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 1:22 PM
  • Thanks.  I'm a developer rather than a designer so just need a hint about how to do this.
    I've got Expression Design, I'm looking at an image the background of which I want to be transparent (at present it just looks white).
    What to do now to save it or export it so that the white become transparent.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff

geoff
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Hi,
     I create videos for things like this, as a Technical Evangelist for Micosoft products.
    If you'd like to Email that GIF file to me I'll create a Video using Expression Blend and Design.
    wisemx@msftwise.com
      All the best,
       Mark Wisecarver
       http://weblogs.asp.net/markwisecarver/
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:15 PM
  • I create videos for things like this, as a Technical Evangelist for Micosoft products.
    If you'd like to Email that GIF file to me I'll create a Video using Expression Blend and Design.

Did you ever create a video for this? If so please provide a link to it for the forums. Thanks!

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:52 PM