none
merge two video files together?

Question

• Hi,
    I am a real neophyte in this video world..  and I am getting along with Encoder2..  but I don't see instructions on how to merge two video files together..  The stock I am working with is MPEG in 15 minute segments.  I need to merge excerpts of two video files.
    Can anyone tell me how?
    Thanks..
    Jim H

Monday, July 20, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can add another video as a leader or a trailer to combine them together.
    Regards
    Dean.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Hi Dean,
    Thanks for getting back to me..
    Is that the only way?
    Doesn't that identify the added file as a leader?
    What if I want to add a leader?

Nothing like cut and paste or some similar way to put files together?
    Thanks..
    Jim H
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:05 AM
  • In Encoder V2 you can essentially combine up to three files by adding a leader, main file, and trailer. Nothing is really identified as a leader or trailer once it's encoded.

In Encoder V3 you can add multiple files together see the following post for more details and some screen shots.

http://blogs.msdn.com/expressionencoder/archive/2009/07/10/9828866.aspx

Hope that helps
    Dean.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Thanks for your insight..
    I get it!

Jim H
    www.COREresonance.com
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Dean,

One more question, if I might..
    I see how I can add a video segment as a leader and it becomes leaderless the next time I open it..  Very cool..

So, when I added an actual leader, it seems it takes less time to encode the entire video.
    Is this because the bulk of the file does not change?
    In other words, does the overal file degrade when I add the short leader?
    If so, is the degregation significant?

Thanks for your thoughts..
    Jim H
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:24 PM
  • If you choose Source as the video profile and the leader was encodded with the same video settings as the main video file then the bulk of the video file should just be passed through without being re-encoded. There will probably be some re-encoding around the join to make sure the key frame spacing matches the settings.
    Regards
    Dean.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Hi Dean,

I am learning this stuff!  Using your insight and the factory DVD tutorial I see how to make edits, at least edit out.. and I now see how to encode using Source..  Is this the time to do "2 pass encoding" and complete the project?

Love these forums.. 
    Actually, all of them all over the net..
    People helping people..
    Thanks..
    Jim H

Now all I have to do is figure out the voting..
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:20 PM
  • I personally use a third party program to help. It can join or merge multiple video files into a large one like AVI Joiner, MPEG Joiner, WMV Joiner, RM Joiner, FLV Joiner, MP4 Joiner etc. Here is the step by step guide shows how to
    join flv files into one,
    http://www.flash-video-soft.com/join-flv/

Hope it helps.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:27 AM