none
Microsoft Expression Blend 4 has stopped working.

Question

• I get the following message when trying to open up my project "Microsoft Expression Blend 4 has stopped working."

I read another post having a simliar issue and took the liberty to run the app with /ExceptionLog on. This is the second project it has happened on. The first one I built and got this message so I installed SP 1 for Blend. The second project was built from scratch after SP1 was installed.  Running Windows 7 Enterprise on Dell laptop Latititud E6500. I tried running with ADMIN priveleges but did not change results. I tried moving the solution to a new folder like the other post suggested and that did not help.

-------------------------------------------------

Microsoft® Expression® crash report:

Date: 2010-10-07 09-23-29
    User: #######

Application Version: 4.0.1000.1000
    Operating System Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0
    Common Language Runtime Version: 4.0.30319.1

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.MSBuildBasedProject.ReevaluateIfNecessary()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.MSBuildBasedProject.GetProperty(String propertyName)
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.MSBuildBasedProject.get_FullTargetFileName()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.MSBuildBasedProject.RefreshImplicitAssemblyReferences()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.MSBuildBasedProject.<UpdateAssemblyReferencesImmediately>b__1e()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.KnownProjectBase.NonIncrementalAssemblyUpdate(Action updateAction)
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.MSBuildBasedProject.UpdateAssemblyReferencesImmediately()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.KnownProjectBase.UpdateAssembliesAndChangedItemsIfPossible()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Project.SolutionBase.ProcessDelayedChange()
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
       at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
       at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Framework.ExpressionApplication.RunApplication()
       at Microsoft.Expression.Application.Main(String[] args)

more upon request....

Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:37 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry you are having trouble. What type of project are you creating/trying to open? I am wondering if somehow there is a mismatch in installed tools (SDKs, etc...).

I am a bit puzzled by the Application Version number reported in the above crash. I've never seen that number, and it doesn't fit the proper pattern. If you are able, it might be worth trying a re-install of Expression Studio.

If you are able, it might help to check the version number as reported in 2 places.

1. In the add/remove programs control panel

2. Right click blend.exe and look at the details tab.

I would be curious to know what version number of shown there.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Chuck

Version 4.0.20901.0 is displayed in both places

Should I just reinstall then?

Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:07 PM
  • OK, that is a much more normal version number, not sure why the crash report had that strange number.

You could certainly try a re-install.

What type of project are/were you working on?

Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Silverlight SketchFlow Application
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:14 PM
  • I would then check the versions of SL, SL 4 SDK, and SL Tools for Visual Studio 2010.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:22 PM
  • OK Thanks I am uninstalling both versions of Exp Studio and the forementioned add-on's, then reinstall!  I will report back soon.
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:28 PM
  • OK uninstalled all Expression related installs, rebooted, installed suite from scratch, then  SP1.  Problem is gone. Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:03 PM
  • Glad that worked, sorry you had the issue at all.
    Friday, October 08, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Chuck,  AHH I spoke to soon.   I opened up my project this morning and back to same exact issue and errormessage.  I made no changes and just closed the project and shutdown.

I am going to test by reapplying the SP and see if I get one chance to open the project again. (Nope that did not work)

Friday, October 08, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Have you submitted an error report after the crash? Hopefully I can investigate that way. Also, if you are willing, email me at first.last@microsoft.com using my name and I can see what I can do to help further.

Friday, October 08, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Just emailed you - and yes I initial sent the bug report in but I no longer am seeing that option during a crash. Thanks for your help.
    Friday, October 08, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Having the same problem. Blend crashes when I try to open my solution. Any ideas?
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

Which version of Blend are you running? Also, can you share the exception log or send a repro project to navits at microsoft dot com and I will take a look at it.

--Navit Saxena

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:12 AM
  • Same problem with me, after installing and unistalling Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Dev Preview...
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Same problem with me, after installing and unistalling Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Dev Preview...
    I can confirm the same, after VS 2011 uninstall MS Blend always fails to start. Tried to uninstall, it worked while I rebooted, after that it stops working again. It looks like VS 2011 messes up the things pretty badly.
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 8:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by uberblue Monday, February 13, 2012 10:54 PM
    Friday, November 04, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I was having the same issue (expression blend crashes on startup) and Brians steps resolved the issue for me. Thanks Brian!
    Monday, February 13, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Repeatedly getting this, there are some serious stability issues, in both Expression Web and Blend. 

After adding the WPF Bing Maps control (jan. 2012 release) the entire environment crashes every time I open an xaml file with a map control set to visible. 

Monday, March 12, 2012 1:35 PM