none
Supported USB Capture Devices Expression Encoder 4

Question

• Our company does live webcasting and for years have used firewire on laptops to encode to WME 9.  We are currently switching over to Expression encoder 4 and also have upgraded laptops, which do not have firewire.  We are looking for a list of supported USB capture devices to use with Expression Encoder 4.  We are not able to use desktop machines for the encoding so PCI devices will not work for us.  Is there a list of USB devices anywhere? 

Thanks so much!

Josh

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Any device that provides a dshow filter is supported by EE4. Currently, there is no list currently available of supported devices, though most usb devices have little to no issues with encoder.

Regards

-Matt

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Hi Drummerjosh

If your laptop has an ExpressCard slot then it is possible to add Firewire support. These are cheap cards and IMO provide the best quality captures (better than USB devices).

J.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:54 PM
  • I found a Dazzle DVC100 that is supported by Win7 and connects without a problem to EE.  However, EE and WME9, both drop all but 30 frames (out of thousands) if I select the Dazzle for the Audio device.  If I select the internal mic or another source, EE and WME9 have no issues with the video capture of the Dazzle.  Any ideas why the USB audio source of the Dazzle would cause the encoding the drop frames?  CPU is only showing 20-30%, I dropped bit rate to 100kbps, local capture only and still same results.  Laptop is Win7- 64bit, 4gb ram, Centrino duo 2.5ghz
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Unfortunately, we would prefer that option, but are running into video sources without firewire output.  We have worked with ADS Composite->DV before, but as with the other issues, trying to get supported devices on Windows 7 vs Vista/XP has been a little difficult.  The idea behind a USB solution is to unify our method and be able to offer the same solution in multiple applications.
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:25 PM
  • If this happens with both wme9 and ee then it is a driver issue. Given that it happens only when taking audio, I think it is a demuxing issue. I would check to make certain you have the latest drivers and see Dazzle's forums/help to see if anyone there has a work around for the device.
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Haven't found one as of yet, but interesting enough, the device audio works outside of EE or WME9.  I will check and see what I can find.
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:11 PM
  • That's not too surprising. EE and WME9 use DirectShow. Windows Vista and 7 use Media Foundation as their base which is different. Some newer software uses that as well or instead of Dshow.
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:16 PM