none
Setting up a Blog on 1and1

Question

• I use 1and1 to host my site which I developed with Expression Web.  It is hosted on a Microsoft Platform, with FrontPage Extensions active.  I would like to add a Blog to the site, but can't find anything that doesn't reference Sq/Server - which evidently is not available if you utilize FrontPage Extensions.  I have read just about everything I can find on the Blogger and WordPress websites, but they all reference Sq/Server.  Can someone please help me find out how I can set up a blog on my 1and1 platform.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:38 PM

Answers

• Just FYI, WordPress works fine on Windows servers.  But if 1and1 doesn't support a database for it, that's a 1and1 limitation (not a WordPress's issue or a Windows server issue).

You mention the database isn't supported by 1and1 if you use FrontPage server extensions: if that is really the only reason you can't have the database on 1and1, perhaps now would be a good time to dump the extensions.  You'll want to do that eventually anyway.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I have set up a WordPress blog in an existing site hosted on 1&1 Windows server. No problem. All WordPress needs is PHP and MySQL, makes no difference what platform it's on. There are differences in the setup between Windows and Linux, but they are minor (but important).

Download the e-book Launching a Wordpress Blog, edition 2.0 (I think from WordPress site. not sure), and I found the downloads at http://www.lucidgreen.net/webbybooth/?page_id=8 to be most helpful. Plus, the WordPress Codex is great http://codex.wordpress.org/Integrating_WordPress_with_Your_Website

So a skeleton walks into a bar and orders a beer. And a mop.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:51 PM
  • You could use Blogengine.NET on your 1and1 Windows hosting since it does not use a sql server however 1and1 is not a very good Windows hosting envirnoment. The way they configure their Windows hosting accounts if very non-standard. I have set up over 30 WordPress blogs for clients on Windows hostings without any issues whatsoever. However, I have had serious issues with how 1and1.com configures application roots on their windows hosting which is why I never recommend using Windows servers on 1and1. Their Linux hosting is much better but even then I moved all of my clients off them several years ago due to performance issues.

As Kathy said you can use php & MySQL on Windows hosting even at 1and1 but you may have to get ride of the FPSE (something that I'd encourage you to do anyway) if you want ot use it.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:22 PM

All replies

• Have you asked 1and1 for help / advice on what to use on their servers?
    Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:43 PM
  • I have.  Their response was not entirely helpful...

"Thank you for contacting us.

With your current hosting package, 1&1 Blog is not supported. However, you may consider to use any kind of third party blog application as long as we support it.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us."

My most recent contact with 1and1 yielded the following...

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Consolas; panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750091 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; font-family:Consolas; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} span.PlainTextChar {mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char"; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:"Plain Text"; mso-ansi-font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; font-family:Consolas; mso-ascii-font-family:Consolas; mso-hansi-font-family:Consolas;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Thank you for contacting us.

We've checked your account, and found that you have an MS hosting package which most Blog softwares are not supported.  Like Wordpress or Joomla, they are (CMS) Content Management System that you can be downloaded through their sites for free.  If you wish to try Wordpress, you need to switch your package to a Linux hosting package so that you can install Wordpress in it.   

We would like to inform you that if you switch your package to a Linux hosting package, your website files will not be carried over.  If you are using ASP files with your current website kumidesigns.com it will not work with Linux, since Linux supports php and html."

It would appear that I have to switch platforms in order to get a Blog.  This would appear to be a major defect with hosting on a Microsoft Platform.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:11 PM
  • It would appear that I have to switch platforms in order to get a Blog.  This would appear to be a major defect with hosting on a Microsoft Platform.

Or hosting with 1and1  Have you checked out content seed?

http://contentseed.com/

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Just FYI, WordPress works fine on Windows servers.  But if 1and1 doesn't support a database for it, that's a 1and1 limitation (not a WordPress's issue or a Windows server issue).

You mention the database isn't supported by 1and1 if you use FrontPage server extensions: if that is really the only reason you can't have the database on 1and1, perhaps now would be a good time to dump the extensions.  You'll want to do that eventually anyway.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I have set up a WordPress blog in an existing site hosted on 1&1 Windows server. No problem. All WordPress needs is PHP and MySQL, makes no difference what platform it's on. There are differences in the setup between Windows and Linux, but they are minor (but important).

Download the e-book Launching a Wordpress Blog, edition 2.0 (I think from WordPress site. not sure), and I found the downloads at http://www.lucidgreen.net/webbybooth/?page_id=8 to be most helpful. Plus, the WordPress Codex is great http://codex.wordpress.org/Integrating_WordPress_with_Your_Website

So a skeleton walks into a bar and orders a beer. And a mop.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:51 PM
  • You could use Blogengine.NET on your 1and1 Windows hosting since it does not use a sql server however 1and1 is not a very good Windows hosting envirnoment. The way they configure their Windows hosting accounts if very non-standard. I have set up over 30 WordPress blogs for clients on Windows hostings without any issues whatsoever. However, I have had serious issues with how 1and1.com configures application roots on their windows hosting which is why I never recommend using Windows servers on 1and1. Their Linux hosting is much better but even then I moved all of my clients off them several years ago due to performance issues.

As Kathy said you can use php & MySQL on Windows hosting even at 1and1 but you may have to get ride of the FPSE (something that I'd encourage you to do anyway) if you want ot use it.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:22 PM