none
Creating hyperlink areas in a JPEG image

Question

• Hi - pardon my lack of knowledge of terms.

I want to create a simple intranet website with EW4.  I created a workflow drawing in Visio, exported it as a JPEG and want to use the entire image as the Home Page of this simple intranet site.  The idea is that when a person hits a key workflow item it hyperlinks to a related page with more details.

The problem is I don't have enough experience with "graphics" software products.  I was thinking of using Expression Design 4 for this purpose, but don't know if this is possible. 

I thought that I could create a rectangle, for example and place it over a workflow object like "contract is created" and then have that rectangle [transparent image] be a hyperlink to the "contract" web page.  When I created the rectangle and tried to get further information / right click it disappeared! 

I'm sure it's possible and maybe I am overthinkingthe approach, but can't seem to find an explanation in the Help or on these forums...I can't be the only person wanting to do something like this?

Do I have to recreate the Visio drawing in EW4 or ED4?  Perhaps that is a simpler solution?  I need to keep it in Visio so that I don't have to create 2 sets of documents, etc.

Thank you.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:24 AM

All replies

• You might be over-thinking this.

It's been a long time since I used Visio--and don't even have a copy anymore to test. But I thought one could add hotspots inside Visio and have Visio export the drawing as HTML.

In an application such as ED, one would create slices--shapes on top of your Visio drawing--that one chooses to export as one of a few different target applications, one which is html. Then one may need to clean it up, fix any links, etc.

Or, inside of EW, one can add hotspots to an already placed image. For this, one would choose to show the Picture Toolbar if it isn't already shown. The shapes one can use for the hotspots (circle, rectangle, polygon, etc) are on that toolbar.

Look at your Visio help file first. This capability might be there.

Take care, Mike

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:20 PM