none
How do you embed an MPEG video in Expression Web 4?

Question

• HELP!   How do you embed an MPEG video in Expression Web 4? I cannot seem to figure this out... ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED... I love expression web and believe there is a solution for this... PLEASE HELP!
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:32 PM

Answers

• If your video has audio, you will drive visitors away using autoplay. Nobody wants their speakers hijacked by a website. Manty people are already using their speakers (listening to a Pandora feed or NPR feed or ripped audio on their computer, etc.). When your audio suddenly blares in, people hate it, expecially if the controls to stop it don't display first and prominently in every browser--and they don't. If a visitor is browsing in an office environment, the last tjhing they want is to announce what they are doing to their coworkers. If it's a business site, you'll alienate potential customers.

Even if it's just video with no audio, your visitors on mobile devices almost always have data caps, and NOBODY wants to stream a video and waste their limited bandwidth without asking for it first.

That's why you never see autoplay used on any respectable website.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

• Marked as answer by webbygirl Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:49 AM

All replies

• You use a Silverlight or Flash player though depending on your site's target audience you maybe able to use the HTML5 <video> tag but then you'd have the problem of codecs since Android, Chrome and Firefox don't support that file format (Microsoft and Apple do).

This is a browser issue more than a web program. Easiest way is to put it on YouTube and embed their code in your site (or use some other media hosting service.)

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:04 PM
  • thank you... can you give me the code...
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:38 PM
    • Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Thank you but I know how to embed in Youtube. I was wondering how to get the code to embed the MPEG into Microsoft expression web 4. If you know let me know. Otherwise, from what I understand there is NO way to embed MPEG into Exp. Web 4!  :-(((
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:10 PM
  • You-tube provides the embed code snippet; you copy it into your web site code view.  When you view your web page(s) you will then see the video for play-back.

Using You-Tube avoids you having to host the video yourself, and having to be concerned about hosting space, bandwidth and server load, especially if you expect high traffic to your site.

Otherwise, the options available to you are under Insert > Media menu in EW4

Alternatively a quick Google search may have some answers for you:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=insert+MPEG+video+in+Expression+Web+4&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:58 PM
  • webbygirl,

That code is what you put in your page (in Code View).  That's all there is to it, once you have uploaded your video to YouTube.  You are not embedding mpeg, you are embedding YouTube, which will play your video for your website visitors.

Try uploading your video to YouTube, and see if it works.  If it does, use the YouTube code.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:05 PM
  • Thank you but I know how to embed in Youtube. I was wondering how to get the code to embed the MPEG into Microsoft expression web 4. If you know let me know. Otherwise, from what I understand there is NO way to embed MPEG into Exp. Web 4!  :-(((

EW provides built-in support for embedding Silverlight, Flash, and WMV format videos using the "Insert|Media." If you choose Silverlight, one of the formats you can choose is mpeg, but IIRC, that is re-encoded when selected. It's been a while, but you can give that a shot...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Thank you but I already tried all that... When you embed a Youtube video into a website - the video you embed does not autoplay. You have to press play. So Youtube allows you to convert it to Flash and then it autoplays by inserting a code. The problem with that is that I already TRIED flash. Flash does not appear in Chrome and in Ipad. That is why I wanted to have my website display a video that autoplays from the by itself on all the browsers... Seems that can't be... THank you for trying though...
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Thank you but I already tried all that... When you embed a Youtube video into a website - the video you embed does not autoplay. You have to press play. So Youtube allows you to convert it to Flash and then it autoplays by inserting a code. The problem with that is that I already TRIED flash. Flash does not appear in Chrome and in Ipad. That is why I wanted to have my website display a video that autoplays from the by itself on all the browsers... Seems that can't be... THank you for trying though...
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Thank you but I already tried all that... When you embed a Youtube video into a website - the video you embed does not autoplay. You have to press play. So Youtube allows you to convert it to Flash and then it autoplays by inserting a code. The problem with that is that I already TRIED flash. Flash does not appear in Chrome and in Ipad. That is why I wanted to have my website display a video that autoplays from the by itself on all the browsers... Seems that can't be... THank you for trying though...
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:15 AM
  • YouTube videos play on my iPad.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:34 AM
  • If your video has audio, you will drive visitors away using autoplay. Nobody wants their speakers hijacked by a website. Manty people are already using their speakers (listening to a Pandora feed or NPR feed or ripped audio on their computer, etc.). When your audio suddenly blares in, people hate it, expecially if the controls to stop it don't display first and prominently in every browser--and they don't. If a visitor is browsing in an office environment, the last tjhing they want is to announce what they are doing to their coworkers. If it's a business site, you'll alienate potential customers.

Even if it's just video with no audio, your visitors on mobile devices almost always have data caps, and NOBODY wants to stream a video and waste their limited bandwidth without asking for it first.

That's why you never see autoplay used on any respectable website.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

• Marked as answer by webbygirl Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:49 AM
  • "Flash does not appear in Chrome"

Sure it does.  If it doesn't for you, you haven't downloaded the correct version of flash.

Note that videos that auto-play are a very bad idea, if they have sound.  No one wants sudden sound coming from their computer unbidden.  If yours is visual only, no sound, go ahead.  And go to the YouTube link I gave you earlier and read the parameter options: you can set the parameters to autoplay.

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:56 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:54 AM