none
How to create link in Website to a Word document?

Question

• I want to list some links in a Website page to word documents that are published with the site.  I tried the following after saving the WORD document as a .htm file
    <a class="style24" href="TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm">
    				<strong><span class="style25">Time Enough</span></strong></a>
    				<br />

and it doesn't work.   I also tried this by making the href="TimeEnoughSynopsis.doc" and that won't work either.  I know that I can do an Insert/File/name of Word file and it will post all of the text of the word document, but that is not what I want to do.  I want only to list the link and when the link is executed to have the word document or its .htm version open for reading.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?   I am using EW version 1.
    jellis00
    • Changed type jellis11 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:45 AM Question solved
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:25 PM

Answers

• I solved the problem.   As Andrew said I needed to be more careful about which file extension I designated.  Everything works now!  Consider this problem solved!
    jellis00
    • Marked as answer by jellis11 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:45 AM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• The link is to a page named TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm located in the same folder as the page with the link. Does this page (TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm) exist in that location? If on a Unix server the caSe must be accurate - unix is case sensitive.

Apart from the possible non-existence of the page in the right place, there is nothing in the link shown that will prevent the page opening.

Similarly, substituting TimeEnoughSynopsis.doc for TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm should also either download or open the Word document - the download or open action depends on the server and the browser. It is possible (though unlikely) that the server could give an error for the .doc file if the mime type has not been set up. Again the case in the link must match the filename if on a Unix server, and the document must be in the same folder as the page with the link.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:43 PM
  • "and it doesn't work."

You missed a rather important detail with your post:  Doesn't work, how?  What error, what does it do?

As you can see, Ron is trying to guess what is wrong, but he wouldn't have to if you provided complete information, or even better, published your page and posted a link so we could see exactly what was happening.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:44 PM
  • You create it just like you would any other hyperlink.

Hilight the word you created for the link and right click it and select, Hyperlink.

Make sure the file is imported into the site, then browse to the file and select it. do not browse "outside" of your website.

Expression Web MVP
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:58 PM
  • I want to list some links in a Website page to word documents that are published with the site.  I tried the following after saving the WORD document as a .htm file
    <
    strong><span class="style25">Time Enough</span></strong></a> <br />
    and it doesn't work.   I also tried this by making the href="TimeEnoughSynopsis.doc" and that won't work either.  I know that I can do an Insert/File/name of Word file and it will post all of the text of the word document, but that is not what I want to do.  I want only to list the link and when the link is executed to have the word document or its .htm version open for reading.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?   I am using EW version 1.
    jellis00

That shoudl work but ONLY if the TimeEnoughSynopsis.html is in the same folder as the page calling it AND that the page is named exactly that complete with the same capitalization.

I will note that looking at that code makes me cringe with all the inline styles and span tags. It will be a nightmare to keep consistent from one page to another. The code should look more like:

<a class="doclink" href="TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm">Time Enough</a> <br />

Where the doclink class would have the styles in your style24 & style 25 along with font-weight: bold. Then put it and other styles you will be using in an external stylesheet so that you aren't recreating the same styles over and over again on each page. That way next time you want to use it you don't end up creating more styles that don't have a meaningful name to tell you why you should be using it.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:10 PM
    <
    strong><span class="style25">Time Enough</span></strong></a> <br />
    jellis00

That shoudl work but ONLY if the TimeEnoughSynopsis.html is in the same folder as the page calling it AND that the page is named exactly that complete with the same capitalization. 

I double checked that the TimeEnoughSynopsis.html file is in the same folder as the page that is calling it, and that the spelling is exactly the same.  Still doens't work.  I get an error that says "Server error: There is no file with URL 'FictionGallery/TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm' in this Web."  Yet I can see in the EW1 Folder List that this file is in fact sitting there in the FictionGallery folder and all the spelling/case is correct.  Any suggestions??

Thanks, Cheryl, for the tips on CSS.  I am struggling to understand CSS and  because of that have been using the tools in EW1 bar to select text words and make them Bold, Underline, Init, etc. without using a CSS sheet.   That is what seems to creat all the spans and superfolous styles.  Any tips on where I can go to get a good tutorial to better understand how to use CSS?  The help in EW1 on this topic is useless. 

jellis00
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:06 PM
  • "Any suggestions??"

Yes. Post the pages and give us a link to it.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:10 PM
  • I will do that as soon as my GoDaddy host completes the registration of the domain I purchased for this site.  I will make a post here when it is accessible.
    jellis00
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Great.  That will let us solve your issue in a few seconds, most likely. :)
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:30 AM
  • I double checked that the TimeEnoughSynopsis.html file is in the same folder as the page that is calling it, and that the spelling is exactly the same.  Still doens't work. 

Are you referring to a file named TimeEnoughSynopsis.html or TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm ?  These are two different files.  You seem to be mixing the two from reply to reply on this subject.  Naturally this could just be a typo, but it still confuses the issue.

What is the file named: TimeEnoughSynopsis.html or TimeEnoughSynopsis.htm ?

To give any sound advise we still need a link to the file, showing your link to the Word document that's not working.

Andrew M
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:07 AM
  • I solved the problem.   As Andrew said I needed to be more careful about which file extension I designated.  Everything works now!  Consider this problem solved!
    jellis00
    • Marked as answer by jellis11 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:45 AM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Re tutorials, go though those in the BEFORE POSTING sticky.

We told you that it is very important that the local name match "exactly" what is in the code letter by letter including capitalization. :)

If I had a nickel for every typo I've made that screwed something up from how I intended I'd be quite comforatble now.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 6:13 PM