none
Problem with scroll bars not showing up in internet explorer 8

Question

• I am a novice just trying to help out a youth football group. I designed the site with Exp web 4. The site is www.mckeesportlittletiger.com  when you hit football you go to the next page. On the left side all the years are listed from 2010 back to 1951-52. But the scroll bar doesn't work. I tried it in superviewer and it works everywhere else but not in EI 8. What can I do? Plus anything else you think I can do to enhence it. Remember I don't know much.
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:47 PM

All replies

• [Delete your other duplicate posts.]

The home page has a frameset inside of a frameset.  Gack.

The page you are asking about: What scrollbar?  The one on the right side of the site works.  There is no scrollbar in the frame with the years in it, and that's not just true in IE8.  (Try it in firefox.)  And, again, a frameset page.

I strongly recommend you rework both of those pages and drop:

• framesets
    • layers
    • absolutely positioned anything
    • containers that have text in them that have both width and height defined. (Your site breaks when text is resized in the browser.)

... and, make sure all the pages have links back to the home page.  Once you click on a year's link, you're down the rabbit hole with no links back.

That would be easier than trying to fix the problems you currently have, and the resultng pages would be much easier to maintain.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:32 PM
  • I removed the duplicate questions,"sorry" didn't know they went thru. Once you hit football the side with the dates should have a scroll bar. It does on my screen but its not showing on the reg EI 8, it shows on the EI 7-8 But not 8. I will copy what you wrote and try to figure out what your saying. So if I read right I should start from scratch on the home page, and the Football page and add a button for "home" on each page to take you back to the main Football page.
    Thanks Jim
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Before you start your redesign, do the following, or you'll be back with many frustrations.

There is a minimum set of knowledge you need to design sites that will work and also won't break with text resizing.

In the "Before Posting" post at the top of this forum, scroll down to the Resources section.  Go through the HTML/XHTML and CSS tutorials at w3schools.com, so you  understand what you are asking EW to do, and then download the asset files and work along with the Basic Website tutorial at http://by-expression.com/post/2009/09/22/Basic-Website-Tutorial.aspx.  It will walk you through creating a site in EW, the right way (and with nary a frameset in sight). 

Invest a few hours with these resources, and save yourself from days of frustration later.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Kathy thank you so much I will let you know if that does it.
    Thanks Jim
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 8:34 PM