none
Access is Denied (550)

Question

• I have read a few similar posts regarding the 550 error when uploading, but I do not think I have yet found the final answer to resolve the problem.  Some people say to test the permissions by setting up a test site to see if that can upload.  However, in my case in "one" site, some of the pages upload fine and other pages are getting the error.   Therefore, I do not think setting up a test site would help.  If portion of the pages can upload, the entire site should be able to upload (all of the pages that can not upload are in the same root directory).

I have now moved to Expression Web 3 and it fortunately lists the "failed" pages in the publishing report so that I can see.  If it is a server issues, why do many of the pages upload fine and only some pages fail.  I do not set different permissions for each page.  Therefore, I think it may be an Expression Web issue and not a server issue.  My pages have been developed in Front Page (these pages previously uploaded OK).  Now moving to expression web, troubles...  Note: I have the Front Page extensions set on the server as a back up plan and trying to upload with FTP.

An example of one of the pages receiving the 550 error is http://www.apparelsearch.com/embroidery.htm Can anyone tell from the source code is something appears unusual on the page.  I can not figure out what would be different about this page from my others.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 4:46 PM

Answers

• Are the pages that do upload AND the pages that do not all in the root directory?

Permissions do not publish nor do file attribures such as Read only Hidden and so on.
    A 550 error is definitely a server permissions issue.

Do the files that won't publish have a common script or a Google search or google adsense?

Also, the file you linked to does not have a valid doctype but I doubt that is the issue

Also #2, if you have extensions installed and enabled and you publish using ftp://, you have just broken the extensions.

Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Regarding the 550 Error. The issue now appears to be resolved.  This will not fix everyone's 550 access denied error, but here is what happened for me.

I had moved to a new server. At that time, I also made the move from Front Page to Expression Web.  Because I know must use FTP to upload, the host company created an FTP account for me for uploading.  The problem was that the FTP account used a different login and password then my primary server login and password.  It appears that this was not the proper thing to do.  We removed the new user account for the FTP and I now tried the regular log and pass and the upload worked without any 550 errors.

Thank you all for your help.  For now, the issue appears resolved.

Regarding the Font Size in my message, I am not sure why my font is so small.  I am using a browser to reach this forum, then I am typing this message directly into the box. I am unsure how to change the font size when typing in this box (maybe Microsoft can add a font size icon for me to change the font).  I use Windows 7. Any suggestions?

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:07 AM

All replies

• Are the pages that do upload AND the pages that do not all in the root directory?

Permissions do not publish nor do file attribures such as Read only Hidden and so on.
    A 550 error is definitely a server permissions issue.

Do the files that won't publish have a common script or a Google search or google adsense?

Also, the file you linked to does not have a valid doctype but I doubt that is the issue

Also #2, if you have extensions installed and enabled and you publish using ftp://, you have just broken the extensions.

Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 5:31 PM
  • "My pages have been developed in Front Page (these pages previously uploaded OK).  Now moving to expression web, troubles...  Note: I have the Front Page extensions set on the server as a back up plan and trying to upload with FTP."

Not sure how to take this, but if you have the FP extensions installed and enabled on your site, and you're uploading with FTP, or a mixture of HTML and FTP, that will definitely hose the FPSE, and might lead to the kind of permissions issues you are seeing. And the problem is at the server end; 550 is a server error.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 6:44 PM
  • The pages that do upload and the pages that do not upload are in the root directory.  Also, I have other pages in folders and they appear to be uploading. 

Yes, I have google adsense on the pages.  However, I do not think that is the issue because it is on pages that also do not receive that error message.

I was not aware that uploading with FTP would break the extensions.  Is it possible to upload with expression web with out FTP? Can I upload the same way as previous with Front Page?  If FTP is the only way (which I thought was the case), I guess it is not possible to use server extensions if they break each time I upload.

Also, forgot to point out that the pages should already be on the server.  I get the error message when I try to upload changes to the site.

By the way, it takes FOREVER for the program to figure out what changes have been made and which pages to upload when I want it to only upload changes.  In fairness to expression web, I do have large site (over 20,000 unique page).  Unfortunately, I think I reached the capacity for building a site with this software.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:33 PM
  • 500 level errors are server errors not Expression Web errors. List of error codes: http://www.astahost.com/info.php/common-ftp-server-error-codes_t19102.html

Typically a 550 is a mail server error message re authentication/port blocked. Make sure your userid/password is correct and that there is no firewall blocking your access.

Note, I've seen similar error messages when the hosting account is running out of allocated space. Many host include your log files and even mail server space in your total plan space. Log files in particular can eat up vast amounts of storage. The one time I was having similar issues that is what it turned out to be. Deleting some log files resolved my problem.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    • Edited by Cheryl D Wise Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:35 PM added more info
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Do you what steps can be taken on the server side to resolve the issue?
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Umm, did you read Cheryl's last paragraph? Have you checked your allocated space? Your log files?

[EDIT: BTW, yes, you can continue to use the FPSE for publishing via http just as you have in the past. EW supports those parts of the extensions, and others, although some of them cannot be created or edited, such as shared borders.]

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular ) "Web" (singular ), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:07 PM
  • "Is it possible to upload with expression web with out FTP? Can I upload the same way as previous with Front Page?  If FTP is the only way (which I thought was the case), I guess it is not possible to use server extensions if they break each time I upload."

When you set up the publishing destination information, click the dropdown next to "Conenction Type" to select how you will connect.  FrontPage Server Extensions is right there on the list. On many hosts, publishing with FTP will damage the extensions.  You may need to have them repaired/reinstalled.

With a site of 20,000 pages, you *don't* want to wait for EW to figure out changes, unless you want to take a break and go see a movie while waiting.  Frankly, I'd just know what files I had changed, and explicitly publish them, in that situation. 

And do take Cheryl's advice and see if you are running into a space limitation on your hosting account.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Thank you all for your comments. 

Space Issue:  It is definately not a space issue on the server.  It is not a shared plan and I actually just moved to a new server so their should not be any old logs etc. taking up space.  I am nearly positive that it is not a space issue.

Mail Server error : Cheryl's comments "Typically a 550 is a mail server error message re authentication/port blocked. Make sure your userid/password is correct and that there is no firewall blocking your access.".  I do not think it is a mail server issue. I do not have e-mail set up on the server.  The userid/password are correct because the other pages appear to be uploading.  Firewall is not blocking the access (other pages are uploading).

The pages that have the 550 error do not have any forms (for sending e-mail, etc.)  I really do not think that their is any special script or anything else special on those pages that would be causing an error.

Until recently, Front Page was handling all the pages and would not take too long to find pages changes and upload them.  I am wondering if Front Page had a better system to identify changes and then complete the upload. It appears Expression Web is trying to look at every single page differently then front page.

I am really not sure what the proper next step is.  I have not been able to successfully "complete" the update upload in nearly a month. I am really in a state of panic.  Should I contact direct to Microsoft?  Do they actually provide good support?  I have seen many complaints about the expression web thus far but not too many actual solutions. 

I do not understand how I can build a site with Front Page, import it into expression web, but still have such difficulty uploading it.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 9:33 PM
  • "Should I contact direct to Microsoft?  Do they actually provide good support?"

Not for free.  Not unless you want to pay more than you did for the program.  I doubt server errors are something Microsoft would deal with anyway.

Have you asked your host why you are getting 550 errors?

Saturday, June 05, 2010 10:06 PM
  • I am now trying one other thing with the host company.  They did inform me that maybe it is infact a permissions issue on the server.  They are taking a look at the special permissions and may make some changes.  Also, they are stopping indexing service on the server that may be slowing it down, but not sure if that will actual help.  Anyway, I have been trying to upload again to see if the errors report again but it has been saying "retrieving pages from.." for a few hours.  I am not sure if the program is hung up or actively still retrieving pages.  Anyway, after I get this resolved I may be forced to work live on the site in the future and never again work on my desk top and then upload.  I prefer to work on the desk top and then upload changes, but it appears that expression web is not built to handle large sites in this manner.
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 12:29 AM
  • You're getting a server permissions error, the server company is working on the permissions on your server, yet you say "...it appears that expression web is not built to handle large sites in this manner." That doesn't follow at all. Neither does stating that you may have to work live on the site. It's a server error.

On the other hand, EW4 comes out on Monday, and if they have made any changes to the publishing system in it, it makes sense for you to upgrade. It's free. There's no reason for anyone not to upgrade.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 1:28 AM
  • At this point, even when the server is sorted out, you'll probably want to run FPCleaner, since EW's metadata related to your server file status is probably swiss cheese.
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Bill: I think I have two separate issues.  First is the 550 error.  Hopefully my host company (rackspace) will be able to help me get that corrected.  The second issue regarding my comments, "it appears that expression web is not built to handle large sites in this manner" probably should be on a different discussion topic.  I should not mix the two issues.  In summary, I think my site is getting too large for Front Page / Expression Web.  After I get the 550 error figured out, I still have the issue that it takes forever for the program to figure out my site.  For example, I started to try and upload "changes" yesterday afternoon.  It is around 20 hours later and expression web 3 is still saying "retrieving pages".  I realize it is not timed out because a few hours ago in the "publishing status" toward the bottom of my screen it now shows 9 pages that get the 550 error.  I assume the system is still checking because above that publishing status section it still says retrieving pages.  I assume that the intention of expression web is not for site builders to have to wait a full day to publish.  Therefore, I am thinking my site my be too big.  The only solution I can think of is working live and not have to use the publish function.  However, I prefer not having to work live.  Anyway, I guess I should start a new thread to discuss this issue. 
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:24 PM
  • How do I find FPClearner?

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Google.
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:33 PM
  • http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/ew3.htm

It is a program I could NOT do without.

Pat

Pat Geary Microsoft MVP Expression Web http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/ http://www.expression-web-tips.com/
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Well, Apparel (I assume that's your first name) ;-), if you search this forum, you will find similar threads from people complaining about that very thing. It has to do with the way EW synchronizes files between the local computer and the server and keeps track of them. There are work-grounds, but I never use the FTP function of EW, so I haven't paid as much attention to those threads as some others--I have always used an external FTP program (since long before EW).

Search the forum for suggestions, or...just wait until tomorrow when EW4 is released. I'd bet dollars to donuts that there's big changes afoot in the publishing parts of EW that will address this very issue. But will they give us a hint? Noooooooooo.

And to give you an idea of how different people's experiences are with EW, Pat says above that FPCleaner is a program she could NOT do without. I have used all 3 versions of EW on two different computers. I ran FPcleaner just once for fun in EW2 to see what it did. Never have had a reason to use it since. Go figure.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:44 PM
  •  

I have upgraded to EW4 and have still been faced with the 550 access denied.  I thought I made some progress but as of last night still have problems.

1) Tried to upload "changed" pages.  Received an error report showing approximately ten pages getting access denied 550.

2) Hosting company helped me by doing something for each of those pages with the security settings.  I believe they manually went to each of those pages and set the permissions.

3) I then used the EW4 function to upload "one" page at a time and uploaded one of the pages that previously gave me the 550 error. That page uploaded fine. (I thought problem solved...)

4) I then tryed the upload "changed" pages and EW4 had an error and said it needed to turn off.  I hit OK and EW4 closed.  I re-opened the program.

5) I opened an existing page made a minor change and saved the page.

6) I then tried to upload that one page and it gave me the 550 error (this page had NOT been on my original report that showed a list of approx. 10 error pages).

Is it possible that the 550 error is going to happen each time I update a page and try to upload it?  Will I have set the permissions on the server for every single page.  Note: before it received the 550 error (on the page I updated), the page did go to the state of asking me if I wanted to override the existing page with the upload.  So I know the page was trying to connect with the server and then got denied toward the end of that process.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions let me know.  I will try to discuss with hosting company again tonight.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I'm sorry but any attempt to read your last post will result in a headache unless I zoom text in my browser whihc would then require me to restore it to my defaults.

I don't know how you are composing/posting your posts but please increase the font size to something that doesn't appear in the forum at the equivilent of 5pt print.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:51 PM
  • "6) I then tried to upload that one page and it gave me the 550 error (this page had NOT been on my original report that showed a list of approx. 10 error pages).

Is it possible that the 550 error is going to happen each time I update a page and try to upload it?  Will I have set the permissions on the server for every single page. "

No one else is reporting this issue. It's something on your PC (are the files on your PC the correct permissions before and after you publish them?) or on your host.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Regarding the 550 Error. The issue now appears to be resolved.  This will not fix everyone's 550 access denied error, but here is what happened for me.

I had moved to a new server. At that time, I also made the move from Front Page to Expression Web.  Because I know must use FTP to upload, the host company created an FTP account for me for uploading.  The problem was that the FTP account used a different login and password then my primary server login and password.  It appears that this was not the proper thing to do.  We removed the new user account for the FTP and I now tried the regular log and pass and the upload worked without any 550 errors.

Thank you all for your help.  For now, the issue appears resolved.

Regarding the Font Size in my message, I am not sure why my font is so small.  I am using a browser to reach this forum, then I am typing this message directly into the box. I am unsure how to change the font size when typing in this box (maybe Microsoft can add a font size icon for me to change the font).  I use Windows 7. Any suggestions?

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:07 AM
  • "The problem was that the FTP account used a different login and password then my primary server login and password. "

Since you can have multiple FTP accounts, including some set with permissions to only access part of the site, each of which can be used from within EW to access the site, I strongly suggest this reflects an error with your new host on setting up your hosting account.  Regardless, I'm glad you've got it sorted out.

"I am unsure how to change the font size when typing in this box "

Click the "HMTL" menu item.  It will show you the HTML the forum is going to post with your reply, and you can remove text size formatting that you don't want.  [Simply typing into the response box does not add small text sizing.  Copying from something else, including someone else's post, can.]

Friday, June 18, 2010 2:57 PM
  • See we told you it was hosting issue. <vbg />

FWIW, it is fairly common for FPSE & FTP userid/passwords to be different even on the same server.

As for the font size, see Kathy's answer but this time your post was normal size.

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:48 PM