none
Codec for Expression Encoder 4

Question

• I have just recently discovered Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 and I am currently experimenting with the free version.  Now it looks like I may need to record some instructions for my non-technical sister who lives out in Portland (I am in Montana).  With my very limited experience using this software I have been unable to get my session recordings to play back on other machines without installing Expression Encoder 4.

What I would like to do is record the instructions that she needs, share the file in the cloud using a web-based file sharing service, and then she could just download and play the file with a minimum of effort on her end.

What is the easiest way for her to get the proper codecs installed so that she can just click and play the file without needing to install Expression Encoder 4?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:51 PM

All replies

• Which OS is she running? Have you tried running Encoder and transcoding the screen capture file that you've produced to a WMV file and then sending here that?

Regards

Dean.

Dean
    Monday, April 18, 2011 5:43 AM
  • She is running Windows XP.  I am running Windows 7, but I would record the instructions by using an XP virtual machine.  I'm not currently sitting at the machine that I'll be using to record the instructions, so I will need to check the file format that it's producing and post that information later.  I'll try to check that tonight.

--Tom

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Yes if you use Encoder to encode your screen capture to a Windows Media file she should be able to play it without problems (and without having to install Encoder).

Regards
    Dean.

Dean
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:38 PM