none
Attach Dynamic Web Template - Greyed Out - Help

Question

• Help...this is my first time using Dynamic Web Templates and I am having trouble.  In Expression Web, I am trying to use the command "Attach Dynamic Web Template," but it is greyed out.  I have tried everything I could, but to no avail, so I must be doing something wrong.

I have created the .dwt file and have identified one editable region.  I also have my html pages.  I have tried using that command with only the .dwt file open, with both the .dwt and html files open, and with only the html files open, but nothing works.

Maybe I am doing this all wrong.  I took over a site that had 20+ pages.  I want each page to have the same header, side menu, upper menu, etc... and the only thing I want to be different is the main content on each page.  So I created my .dwt file and have it looking exactly how I want it and I defined one editable region, now I want to create each individual page with different content.  So I tried to use the "Attach Dynamic Web template" option, but it is not working.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Brett
    Saturday, May 03, 2008 4:47 PM

All replies

• BrettOlbrys said:

Help...this is my first time using Dynamic Web Templates and I am having trouble.  In Expression Web, I am trying to use the command "Attach Dynamic Web Template," but it is greyed out.  I have tried everything I could, but to no avail, so I must be doing something wrong.

I have created the .dwt file and have identified one editable region.  I also have my html pages.  I have tried using that command with only the .dwt file open, with both the .dwt and html files open, and with only the html files open, but nothing works.

Maybe I am doing this all wrong.  I took over a site that had 20+ pages.  I want each page to have the same header, side menu, upper menu, etc... and the only thing I want to be different is the main content on each page.  So I created my .dwt file and have it looking exactly how I want it and I defined one editable region, now I want to create each individual page with different content.  So I tried to use the "Attach Dynamic Web template" option, but it is not working.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Brett

I can think of a couple things that might make it unavailable. You are on the right track though.

1.  I think "manage site using hidden metadat" needs to be on for DWT to work
    2. Make sure you are working in what EW think is a "site". Did you start off by saying create new site? The folder icon for your root should be the litte website folder. If it is not, right click it to make it a "site"
    3. To attach the dwt, have the page you want to attach it to open and click anywhere in design view. Then go to the attach dwt option.

Hopefully one of thos things will get you going!

Perry
    • Proposed as answer by Cheryl D Wise Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:50 PM
    Saturday, May 03, 2008 5:36 PM
  • for me, it was #1  -- wasted a fair amount of time :(
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:44 PM
  • You realize that this thread is over 2 years old?
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:50 PM