none
Lost connection to server?

Question

• Hi,

I am having a problem and not sure why, but it is probably an easy fix for someone else.

When I go to view the page on the browser, it now only shows the mark-up.

The web page doesn't display. How can I fix this?

Thanks

Dan

• Moved by Anna UllrichModerator Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:34 PM question for Expression Web (From:Expression Studio)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:30 PM

All replies

• Are you using Expression Web? I'll assume so and move your thread to that forum.

A few questions about your post ... are you using the Preview in Browser feature to display your page in the browser? Or is your page online and displays that way?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/anna
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Is it an ASP.NET page and you're not previewing the the development server?
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Another possibility is if your host doesn't support the technology you're using. You end up with something like what Chris mentioned. Posting a .aspx page to a UNIX server may result in this behavior because the UNIX server has no idea what a .aspx page is and instead just serves it up as a plain text file. ASP.Net pages are primarily used only on Windows servers. There are some ways to run them on UNIX, but generally aren't available on standard UNIX hosting plans.

So, if you're publishing and seeing this sort of behavior on your live server, check to make sure that you are not using a file extension for a technology not supported by your host server. If this is the case you may either have to re-do things to avoid that technology, see if your host can move you to a server that supports the technology or find a different host that supports that technology (choices b and c though can be the most frightening since they can have other consequences such as your mail server, etc..)
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:10 PM
  • I can normally use visual web developer, or Expression, or blend and be able to view it, but none of these worked.
    I tried through browser preview and localhost. It only shows the file (code).

Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:06 PM
  • It is an asp page. It is showing some type of long error message when I go to reinstall the expression studio. Something about a corrupt or unreadable file.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:10 PM
  • No, it's not on the web just my PC (localhost).
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Have you set the root folder for the site as the application root in IIS?

Expression Web MVP
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:17 PM
  • "It is an asp page."

Asp, or asp.net?  .asp, or .aspx?

And, you need to provide a lot more details at this point.  Show us the page.  Tell us the error.  ...And so on.

Also, you didn't answer Chris's post: If this is an asp.net page (.aspx) and you are previewing in browser through EW, have you set the site settings to preview using the development server?  If not, it will only show the html markup.

Is this a plain disk based site in a folder on your hard drive, or is your local version hosted on an IIS server installed on your local machine?  Steve's post presumes the later, and there are differences for previewing in the browser.  Which is your case?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:53 PM
  • The OP said he was previewing through localhost, or trying to.

;-)
    Expression Web MVP
    Friday, January 29, 2010 12:06 AM
  • "The OP said he was previewing through localhost, or trying to."

Yes, but I'm not willing to assume why, at this point.  We don't know how much the OP knows, yet.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 12:42 AM
  • They are .asp and .aspx pages, and they did show fine until some file somehow got corrupted

This error message never goes away and I cannot find the file to delete it.

The error message says:

The file or directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SL\DL2\SoftwareLicensing\f50d9dc2-15b0-49e7-b9e3-94bbf77638ad_met.xml is corrupt and unreadable.

Please runthe Chkdsk utility.

Friday, January 29, 2010 10:31 AM
  • I not even sure I know what OP means.
    If it's operator, meaning me, then yes I am just creating a site and trying to view it on my PC.
    I installed a database not long ago, that could be part of it. It was working even with the database, I'm not sure when, or what happened
    I removed the database trying to fix the problem.
    I am in programming classes, still trying to learn these things.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:39 AM
  • OP is 'original poster' :)

The error message indicates something outside EW, VWD or Blend.

I'm guessing but the corruption could have been caused by a virus. Is your PC well protected by antivirus software?

If not. try the MS Malicious Software Removal tool, http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

Now you posted the error message someone may be able to help.

Ian
    MS MVP Expression

http://www.ew-resource.co.uk

Ian Haynes
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:56 AM
  • If he is previewing through the testing server Classic ASP will always show as code because there is no support for it in the Cassini server. You have to have IIS installed and it has to be configured to support classic asp as well as asp.net 2.0/3.5.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:58 PM
  • The error message isn't consistent with anything I've seen connected with the EW Dev Server.

You would normally get a 'This type of page is not served' error.

Ian
    MS MVP Expression

http://www.ew-resource.co.uk

Ian Haynes
    • Edited by Ian Haynes Friday, January 29, 2010 3:06 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I do have anti virus protection, but I do turn it off when I go to install something.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:28 PM
  • How would you go about doing that?
    What should I uninstall and reinstall, or is that not the answer?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:43 PM
  • "How would you go about doing that?
    What should I uninstall and reinstall, or is that not the answer?"

What are you replying to?  If you are talking about the Malicious Software Removal Tool, you just run it and see if it finds anything.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:55 PM