none
ViewCast Osprey 700e HD capture card and Expression Encoder 4

Question

• I recently purchased a ViewCast Ospsrey 700e HD capture card and I am trying to encode two separate streams with different bitrates simultaneously.

The 700e HD card has SimulStream built in, which according to ViewCast - "SimulStream® is a premium driver upgrade that delivers digitized audio and video content from Osprey video capture cards to multiple applications at the same time"

I can create two separate Job files in Expression Encoder 4 and run two instances of Expression Encoder 4 and successfully capture both at the same time using the same video and audio input for both.

However when I attempt to use the Expression Encoder 4 SDK in my application it appears the SimulStream functionality doesn't work. Here is what my code looks like;

LiveJob job1 = new LiveJob();

LiveJob job2 = new LiveJob();

Job1.Load("c:\\temp\\LowRes.xej");

Job2.Load ("c:\\temp\\HiRes.xej");

Job1.StartEncoding();

Job2.StartEncoding();

When Job2 attempts to encode I get the message “Cannot create device, The device may be in use by another program.”

Why does the SimulStream functionality not allow me to have two encoding sessions programmatically? I have emailed ViewCast but they just ignored me.

Hope you can help

Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:13 AM

Answers

• Note that I didn't suggest to use multiple threads, but separate processes or app domains, which will most probably going to be handling the device differently.
    • Marked as answer by Phil Moroney Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:44 PM
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:58 AM

All replies

• This is purely a guess, but I suspect you will have to spawn each Live job into its own process (or app domain) for it to work, which is why running two instances of EE4 works. Have you tried that?
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Eric. The code example was for simplicity sake. They are two separate threads.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:46 AM
  • Note that I didn't suggest to use multiple threads, but separate processes or app domains, which will most probably going to be handling the device differently.
    • Marked as answer by Phil Moroney Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:44 PM
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply and answer to my query Eric. The Expression Encoder 4 SDK does indeed encode the separate sessions when running in their own process.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:48 PM