none
A kinder gentler captcha? Are you Human or Robot that is the question.

Answers

• I don't know if it is too simple to fool (although, even if OCR is used, the instructions would probably befuddle a robot), but if it is too complicated for a human, his family probably keeps him sitting in a corner with a drool rag, and he's incompetent to enter into a binding agreement in any event.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Time Bandit Monday, April 29, 2013 6:05 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 5:46 PM
  • I would have thought that's fine. The similar sort of thing I use is 'If today is Monday, what day is it tomorrow?' with the question as an image rather than machine-readable text.

(As an aside, you could use an optgroup in the select box with the most common options at the top of the list. Saves users having to scroll right through a huge list).

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:52 PM

All replies

• I don't know if it is too simple to fool (although, even if OCR is used, the instructions would probably befuddle a robot), but if it is too complicated for a human, his family probably keeps him sitting in a corner with a drool rag, and he's incompetent to enter into a binding agreement in any event.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:46 PM
  • I would have thought that's fine. The similar sort of thing I use is 'If today is Monday, what day is it tomorrow?' with the question as an image rather than machine-readable text.

(As an aside, you could use an optgroup in the select box with the most common options at the top of the list. Saves users having to scroll right through a huge list).

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Hmmm -- well I figured out what you meant --

BTW, I happen to prefer a technique that requires nothing at all from the user, and which I learned from someone on this forum years ago (forgot who though -- it might have been Steve Easton)

The technique is to put two fields on the form, one with blank text and one with a specified text. Use CSS to ensure they are not displayed, so humans never see them. But robots do. And if they put anything in the blank field, or change the text in the other field, off to the trash.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:47 AM
  • Hmmm -- well I figured out what you meant --

BTW, I happen to prefer a technique that requires nothing at all from the user, and which I learned from someone on this forum years ago (forgot who though -- it might have been Steve Easton)

The technique is to put two fields on the form, one with blank text and one with a specified text. Use CSS to ensure they are not displayed, so humans never see them. But robots do. And if they put anything in the blank field, or change the text in the other field, off to the trash.

Often called a "honey pot" Clark.  Easy enough for the bot to figure out by looking at the CSS. The best SPAM bots actually render the form and look at the result like a user would so even using javaScript to disable the honey pot for the user doesn't fool them.  
    • Edited by Time Bandit Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Often called a "honey pot" Clark.  Easy enough for the bot to figure out by looking at the CSS. The best SPAM bots actually render the form and look at the result like a user would so even using javaScript to disable the honey pot for the user doesn't fool them.  

Heh -- I guess that means the best bots never come by my site then because I don't get any bot-filled forms.

I know my site isn't what you would call high traffic, but to even be ignored by the best bots!!

What am I gonna do??

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:45 PM
  • I've used a simple "how much is 5 + 3?" type of question with great success (on sites with relatively low contact request numbers).
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:32 AM