none
firefox conflicts

Question

• i created my website:   www.outdoorsojourn.com in expression web.

when i publish it to the web it comes up fine in ie but there are several problems with viewing it in firefox. 

in firefox the page color should be white not the same blue color as the background.

firefox doesn't recognize some new pages, such as stateparks2.htm.  if you look at the ie version you can see that the state names are missing above the images.

thanks for your help

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:37 PM

Answers

• Your site seems to look correct for me in Firefox (v3.03).  Maybe you have a caching issue.  Try clearing your Firefox cache (Ctrl + Shift + Del), then view your site and see how it looks.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:55 PM
  • milesdanderson said:

i have the same problem. www.milesanderson.com/temp

the line beneath the home button on the right doesn't line up with my tabs the way it does in IE 7.

What gives? Should I be adjusting something when designing? I am at a loss. But I don't think it is a cache problem.

You're using layers and absolute positioning. Not recommended, and I wish that Microsoft had just left the bloody layers out of the interface. As you have discovered, it leads to cross-browser issues, as well as a host of other problems.

BTW, it's not just the line beneath the Home "button" on the left (your other right ;-) that is out of alignment. The whole sidebar is positioned differently. It's just that the Home button has a point of reference and the other links don't.

I suggest that you download and watch Cheryl's "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial, at
    http://by-expression.com/media/p/1300.aspx.

It will teach you how to build a page and position text, images, etc. without ever using layers, or absolute or relative positioning, and the result will be cross-browser compatible. You seem to have plans to add a good deal more to the site, and if you continue to use layers and absolute positioning, the problems are only likely to compound, not get better. Good luck.

cheers,
    scott
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:03 AM

All replies

• Your site seems to look correct for me in Firefox (v3.03).  Maybe you have a caching issue.  Try clearing your Firefox cache (Ctrl + Shift + Del), then view your site and see how it looks.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:55 PM
  • great job, that was the problem.

i would have never thought of that, and it sure was a lot quicker than messing with code.

thanks
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:00 PM
  • i have the same problem. www.milesanderson.com/temp

the line beneath the home button on the right doesn't line up with my tabs the way it does in IE 7.

What gives? Should I be adjusting something when designing? I am at a loss. But I don't think it is a cache problem.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 4:34 AM
  • milesdanderson said:

i have the same problem. www.milesanderson.com/temp

You're using layers and absolute positioning. Not recommended, and I wish that Microsoft had just left the bloody layers out of the interface. As you have discovered, it leads to cross-browser issues, as well as a host of other problems.

BTW, it's not just the line beneath the Home "button" on the left (your other right ;-) that is out of alignment. The whole sidebar is positioned differently. It's just that the Home button has a point of reference and the other links don't.

I suggest that you download and watch Cheryl's "Build a Basic Web Site" video tutorial, at
    http://by-expression.com/media/p/1300.aspx.

It will teach you how to build a page and position text, images, etc. without ever using layers, or absolute or relative positioning, and the result will be cross-browser compatible. You seem to have plans to add a good deal more to the site, and if you continue to use layers and absolute positioning, the problems are only likely to compound, not get better. Good luck.

cheers,
    scott
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Sadly none of the major web editors have removed "layers" but at least Dreamweaver has given it the proper name of AP elements.

The problem isn't so much the ability to use absolutely postioned elements is that the MS tutorials lead people to think that they are simple, easy and you can have a pixel perfect layout cross browser/platform with little or no knowledge.
    MS MVP Expression http://by-expression.com
    Friday, November 14, 2008 4:42 PM