none
Microsoft Expression Encoder 4

Question

• Hi,

I have Microsoft Expression Encoder 4. I have performed a screen recording 4 times, have merged the 4 files together and edited and cut what I wanted.

This file I have merged plays back fine in Microsoft Expression Encoder 4. It is saved as an .xej

I really need this file to be able to play in any standard playback e.g. wmv, vlc, anything...

What do I do?

Thanks,

Charlotte

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:48 PM

All replies

• The XEJ is just a project file, not a video output.

To encode, you'll need to press the Encode button on the lower left. But you'll probably want to change the encode settings to your liking, including frame size, bitrate, etc.

For screen capture data, I would recommend applying the "VC-1 Screen Encoding VBR" preset, found in "Encoding for Silverlight -> VC-1 -> Variable Bitrate" in the top right corner. Then tweak the settings in the Encode tab.

Note that the output won't be looking as good as your xesc files, and that's expected since the xesc files are encoded with a screen capture codec which will playback only in WMP when the proper codec is installed, while VC-1 is a generic raster codec and WMV/VC-1 files are supported by most media players.

A lot more information about the workflow is available in the User Guide, under the "Expression Encoder workflow" topic.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Thanks so much for replying so quickly!

I have tried encoding after watching a demo on youtube for it - but a bit confused...

Once its finished encoding, then what? its still saved as .xej... sorry I am very new to this program so need step by step !

Thanks,

Charlotte

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:52 PM
  • I have just realised it saved itself in a different file with new format!

Thanks so much for replying, very grateful!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:54 PM