Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 and EM2 - Catalog opens only as "Read Only"

Question

• I am setting up a file share server using Mac OS X Server 10.5 and I have an entire organizations worth of media organized with EM2 on a USB hard drive that I need to move onto to the server so that I can share the media over a small network.

1) What is the best way to bring original media that is organized with EM2 onto the server? "Tranfer to folder"? Sync annotations and then make disk images?
    2) Will EM2 work in a small network environment?  Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:16 AM

All replies

• I create even an empty catalog, save it to the server, and when I try to open from a client machine, I get this message:  "This catalog is already open elsewhere.  Open "read only" to review the catalog, use Save As to make changes"

I am thinking it might be a bogus alert, because I can make changes and save and all seeem to be well but don't want to take any chances as I am about to import all the organizations media on to this new server.

Permissions? Ownership?

Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 - 

thanks

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:26 AM
  • I've gotten mysterious messages about opening as read only myself.  Does that go away if you cancel the open operation by not opening it as Read Only...and then go back right away and open the file again?  That usually works for me.

I can't speak to using xM2 in a small network environment but I can say that when you want to move media to the server I would do what you suggested:
    1. synchronize annotations so you trust the catalog and media files all have the same metadata.
    2. select all and transfer to folder - duplicate items and dump them all on the new network location.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:58 PM
  • I've donw that on my local machine, but on the server I am trying to create, the "read only" message never goes away.  I've noticed that if I open as "read only" it seems that I have full control over the catalog.  I am checking with Mac support as all of the permissions on the server folders are restricted - I'll make sure that all of my folders are set up as "read +write" for all users and then we'll see where we're at - 
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Is the catalog still open on another machine? If so, this is the correct behavior. EM2 is telling you another machine owns the catalog or has the catalog opened. It's not a client/server app. Therefore two computers cannot alter the same catalog at once. What's nice is EM2 is letting you now another computer is currently writing to the catalog. This is a similar feature as Excel. Try closing the catalog or quitting EM2 on all the other computers.

If the catalog isn't open on another computer have you tried saving over the catalog on the OS X Server. I get the "read only" alert as well. I just save over the file and EM2 doesn't report read only again. I think I get the "read only" response because some times I open a catalog either from my G5 and then my MBP. For me it's easy because I'm a one man shop. It use to be with multiple users you would yell across the office to make sure a catalog wasn't open on another machine or just look to see it the hidden ivc_0 is file is open.

As far as moving the assets to the server here is my low risk way of being overly careful. I recommend taking the parent folder of all the assets from the USB drive and copying it to the file server. Duplicate the catalog in the Finder. Move the dupe catalog to the file server. Give it a new name. Open the the new catalog. Now reset folder path of the parent folder to the parent folder on the server and all should be well. If the assets on the USB drive are not in a single parent folder no worries, just copy all the stuff to the file server and reset the folder path to the new partition. 

Here's an easier solution. Name the partition on the server the same name as the USB drive. Unplug the USB drive. Now EM2 will have the correct path to the files. 

I hope this all makes sense. Good luck.

Mike
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:01 AM