none
Captions & Subtitles in Expression Encoder 3

Question

• I have looked at a training video & read through the software help that says you can do captions and subtitles in LIVE encoding using the script command option.  While I have followed the directions in both to the letter I can't get it to work.  Is there a solution for EE3 that gives me that function that is simple? :-)  I am not a developer so some of the terms I don't know.  Thank you for any help!!!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:59 PM

All replies

• Have you found the Script Command panel in Live mode (Window -->  Script Commands).  When broadcasting to a EE template, if you specify the script command type as Caption and click Send, it will send that event to the template and display the Command text as a caption.  You can check this by clicking the Launch Preview button.  There is a delay when broadcasting but they should show up at the botton of the video area.  When archiving, the script commands will appear in the Script Command panel after exiting live mode (with the append to job checkbox checked).   Let me know what is specifically failing and we can work though the problem.  Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Yes I have found the panel and followed the instructions.  Does it work when streaming to a publishing point?  The Launch Preview is only available when I select broadcast under streaming and not publishing point. When I hit the Launch Preview it opens an explorer window but for some reason I'm not seeing anything on the page.  If I right click it shows me silverlight info but nothing else is on the page?
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:02 PM
  • It should work either way. Were you broadcasting when you clicked Launch Preview?  It won't show anything unless you click Start first.  I just tested both broadcasting (using Launch Preview) and using a publishing point.  The Launch Preview button should launch our test web server in the default web browser when broadcasting. 

Broadcasting:

• Add devices or file sources
    • Check Streaming checkbox on Output tab
    • Click Start
    • Click Launch Preview button
    • On Script Command panel, enter 'caption' for Type and the text you want to display in the Command field.
    • Click Send
    Publishing Point
    For this you will need to get an EE template up on a server.  The easiest way is to create some output in on-demand mode and then update the default.html to point to the publishing point.

• Add devices or file sources
    • Check Streaming checkbox on Output tab
    • Select Publishing Point radio button
    • Enter URL to server
    • Click Pre Connect buttont to make sure you can access the server
    • Click Start
    • Take the on-demand output template (all you need is default.html and MediaPlayerTemplate.xap) and copy it to your web server
    • Update the <PlaylistItem> in the default.html page to point to your publish point
                                    <PlaylistItem>
                                        <Description>Caption Test</Description>
                                        <IsAdaptiveStreaming>false</IsAdaptiveStreaming>
                                        <MediaSource>http://jlang-svr:81/captions</MediaSource>
                                        <ThumbSource></ThumbSource>
                                        <Title>Captions</Title>
                                    </PlaylistItem>
    • Launch the default.html in your web browser pointing to the server (local access won't playback)
    • On Script Command panel, enter 'caption' for Type and the text you want to display in the Command field.
    • Click Send
    You should see the captions along the bottom of the video window in the template.

Hope this helps. 
    Friday, December 04, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Where would I find the default.html file? 
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:19 PM
  • It's with the encoded file(s) when you select a template in the output tab.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:03 PM
  • But what if I am encoding via Publishing Point?
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:26 PM
  • When you are streaming live in push (publish point) or pull (broadcast) mode, we create a separate script stream in the output that contains the captions you send.  The client that plays this back needs to be able to support this stream.  What are you trying to playback the file with?  You can take an on-demand output template (just encode a file using a template) and then post it to a web server and update the media source to point to the publish point, the Silverlight template will show the captions over the live video feed as they are sent.  To test this out, you can just to a live archive and send some captions and select 'Append to job' checkbox on the Output panel.  Then when you exit live mode, you will see the source file and the captions on the Script Command panel.  Pick a template, apply the 'Apply Source Encoding settings' preset and click Encode.  The output template will play the captions back as they would in live mode.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:57 PM