Licensing error when I try to start Microsoft Expression Studio 4

Question

• Every time I try to start Microsoft Expression Studio 4 I get this:

"A licensing error has occured. Restart your expression program and try again. If you continue to receive this error message, reinstall your Expression program to make sure that the license installs"

I downloaded expression studio from Dreamspark and have a 100% genuine edition of Microsoft Windows 7 (64 bit). I have tried reinstalling and repairing it (over 5 times now), removing the files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SL\DL2\SoftwareLicensing, turning on the Software Licensing service, and running the System File Checker. I know that this error has something to do with my computer because I tried installing it on others and it works fine.

It seems that this error has been reported over and over again and there still isnt a fix. Will Microsoft please finally look into this error and fix it? If you can please tell me any other options I can try to fix this and if you need any information please let me know.

• Edited by ub3rst4r Monday, December 06, 2010 2:11 AM added version
    Monday, December 06, 2010 2:08 AM

All replies

• I'm in the same boat here. Would love to get this corrected.
    Monday, December 06, 2010 6:55 PM
  • In case anyone is looking for proof that my Windows is 100% Genuine here is the log from the MGA diagnostic tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****
    Windows Product Key Hash: 289NoAWl2ZoVfuieux/315WkDIc=
    Windows Product ID: 00426-OEM-8992662-00173
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001
    ID: {BF384B43-DD52-4FAA-9552-C37562AA9BDD}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621
    TTS Error: 
    Validation Diagnostic: 
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{BF384B43-DD52-4FAA-9552-C37562AA9BDD}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VKM6G</PKey><PID>00426-OEM-8992662-00173</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2205313978-3900027342-3344079670</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1303  </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20100308000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F7313707018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>_ASUS_</OEMID><OEMTableID>Notebook</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, Ultimate edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: 7cfd4696-69a9-4af7-af36-ff3d12b6b6c8
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00426-00178-926-600173-02-4105-7600.0000-3592010
    Installation ID: 022160098695079323131461434172657910733254389792683293
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: VKM6G
    License Status: Licensed
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 2
    Trusted time: 25/12/2010 8:35:24 PM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 12:25:2010 14:53
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: PAAAAAIABgABAAEAAQACAAAAAgABAAEAonaaJV48O/WMJmhlRryENAiFCoAwzLQcje9+uoNKxlMAg+qC

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information: 
     ACPI Table Name	OEMID Value	OEMTableID Value
     APIC			030810		APIC1026
     FACP			030810		FACP1026
     HPET			030810		OEMHPET 
     MCFG			030810		OEMMCFG 
     SLIC			_ASUS_		Notebook
     OEMB			030810		OEMB1026
     DMAR			AMI		OEMDMAR
     OSFR			030810		OEMOSFR 
     SSDT			DpgPmm		CpuPm

and here is a screenshot from microsoft.com saying its genuine: http://imgur.com/MZo3k

Thanks!

Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Just an update, I managed to contact Microsoft Support and this is what they said:

Hello ****,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I am sorry to know that you are unable to install Microsoft Expression Studio 4 on your Windows 7 computer.

I am currently working with my colleagues to resolve your issue. Typically, we hear from them in 24 to 72 hours, depending on the complexity of the issue. If you have not received a reply within 3 business days please respond back to this email for follow-up.

I appreciate your patience.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hey ! Same boat ...

If you have any news could you update the post please ?

Thanks ! B.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Just heard back from Microsoft Customer Support and this is what they said:

Hello Nick,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service. 

I understand that every time you try to start Microsoft Expression Studio 4 you receive a message as ?licensing error has occurred. Restart your expression program and try again. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you.

Nick, As mentioned in your email, you have tried to install Expression Studio 4 that you have got from the DreamSpark site; it means the copy is complete. Please contact the vendor from whom you have purchased the computer and verify if any files are missing that may be required to install programs like this.

We have verified from our end, and the product is working fine.

I hope the above information is helpful. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

So basically, I am screwed and the only way to get it to work is by reinstalling Windows. I guess I will just have to use it via virtual machine even though my computer is genuine...
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Hi ub3rst4r,

We're sorry you're experiencing these problems.

Which Expression application are you trying to launch?

After removing this directory (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SL\DL2\SoftwareLicensing), did you do an uninstall and reinstall of Expression Studio?  Also, did Expression Studio ever work on this machine?

As part of this investigation, would you be willing to run a small program to output the state of your machine's license store?  This neither collects nor displays any personally identifiable information.  Please respond to exfordis@microsoft.com with the best way to contact you.

Thanks,

Suvani Kaura [MSFT]

Suvani Kaura
    Microsoft Expression Blend
    [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.]

Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Hi, I am still talking with Microsoft about this issue.

This is the email between me and Suvani Kaura (aka Christopher Cole):

Hi, I just tried to reinstall it for like the 100 time the way you told me and the same error is there. I would be glad to use a different diagnostic tool to see if you can find out whats wrong with it. Expression Studio 3 worked fine until I tried to update it to 4 and then it stopped working. Thanks
    Nick,
    To debug the issue you are running into, it would be helpful to see the current state of your Expression license store.

Please rename the package to CheckLicenses.ZIP and copy the contents to the machine with the failure?

From an elevated command prompt:

Run SN.exe –Vr LicenseTool.exe

SN.exe –Vr Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll

Run CheckAllLicenses.bat

Send the output back to me.

(SN.exe is included in the SN directory.  Try the SN.exe in the 2.0 directory first)

Then you can run:

SN.exe –Vu LicenseTool.exe

SN.exe –Vu Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll

This tool will display the state of your license store.

Please reply with the displayed information.

No customer information is collected or displayed.

Thank you for your time.

Christopher Cole
    Microsoft Expression
    Microsoft Corp.

Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:12 PM
    To: Expression Forums Discussion
    Subject: Regarding Expression
    Here is the output, not sure if it means anything to you..
    Nick,
    Thank you for the information.  The output shows that your license store believe it is in a “Tampered” state. 

Regretfully I am unable to give you the assistance that you need to resolve this issue.
    You will need to contact Product Support.  

Product Support has the tools to remotely connect to your machine and repair the issue.

I want to warn you that site asks for a credit card, but you will NOT be charged due to this being a licensing issue.

Here is the information from our Product Support contact:

They contact us by going to http://support.microsoft.com and clicking the link on the page that says “Contact a Support Professional by Email, Online, or Phone.” When they do, they are asked to choose their product and then choose a “support topic”, mostly likely “Installation” and then “Product Key” in this kind of issue.

The site informs them that charges may apply and they are presented with three support options; email, online, or phone. Email shows a prices of $99 and both phone and online show a prices of $259. However, these customers will NOT be charged for licensing issues.

I apologize for the issue you are seeing and for not being able to resolve the issue.

With regards
    Christopher Cole
    Microsoft Expression
    Microsoft Corporation

Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 9:55 PM
    To: Christopher Cole
    Subject: Re: Regarding Expression

I have attached the files associated with this email @ http://tinypaste.com/5771a5. I have now been redirected to the Expression Technical Support (xxxxxx@microsoft.com). I will update this thread once I hear from Microsoft (again).

(I guess that email address is an internal email address & now I need to spend another 1 hour on the phone to Microsoft just to get redirected to different departments)

Cheers!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Nick,

FYI, I removed your email address from your post.

Christopher and Suvani are actually two different people, both of whom have been assisting you with your issue. You do need to open a case with us and we should be able to resolve your issue within about 30 minutes. If you will uninstall all Expression Studio products prior to calling, that will dramatically reduce the amount of time required to resolve your issue.

Jim Cheshire -- Microsoft
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:12 PM
  • OK so how do I open a case with you (without having to enter in my credit card information and get billed $100)? Thanks..
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Nick,

You need to follow the directions that Christopher gave you. Here that information is again for your reference.

-----------------------

Product Support has the tools to remotely connect to your machine and repair the issue.

I want to warn you that site asks for a credit card, but you will NOT be charged due to this being a licensing issue.

Here is the information from our Product Support contact:

They contact us by going to http://support.microsoft.com and clicking the link on the page that says “Contact a Support Professional by Email, Online, or Phone.” When they do, they are asked to choose their product and then choose a “support topic”, mostly likely “Installation” and then “Product Key” in this kind of issue.

The site informs them that charges may apply and they are presented with three support options; email, online, or phone. Email shows a prices of $99 and both phone and online show a prices of $259. However, these customers will NOT be charged for licensing issues.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:51 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem, and I can't seem to find a solution either.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Tom,

The solution to this is contained within the post directly above yours. You need to contact our support organization and we can resolve the issue for you.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:21 PM
  • The solution to this is contained within the post directly above yours. You need to contact our support organization and we can resolve the issue for you.

I have read that post, but unfortunately, I am not in the possession of a credit card, and thus not able to follow the steps stated there.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Tom,

What specific product within Expression Studio are you experiencing a problem with?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:14 PM
  • The problem is with Expression Studio 4 Ultimate, which I got from MSDN. All Expression studio programs I installed (Blend, Web, and Design) suffer from the same problem.

I have succesfully installed the same programs on a different Windows 7 machine, and they work there, so it has nothing to do with my download/installation media.

In both cases, I had Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate (again, from MSDN) and the Windows Phone developer tools installed, upgrading Blend from the free version to Ultimate, and adding Expression Web and Expression design.

Now that I think about it, I might be on my fourth installation (having installed Expression Studio on a Windows 8 machine, a windows 7 installation where it works, and on my laptop--which was running Windows 8, upgraded from 7, which I later downgraded, and also installed Expression Studio on.)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:03 PM
  • I realize it's Expression Studio, but I asked about specific products you are using because different support groups support each product. :)

A problem with Expression Web can be resolved by installing the fix here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2635101

Expression Blend doesn't have a fix, so you'll need to talk to that support group for resolving that. Actually, fixing that issue will fix all products, but I would keep the link to the Expression Web fix handy just in case you see the issue return.

I will see if I can get the Blend team to create a case for you. Can you please email me with your email address and phone number? You can reach me at jamesche at Microsoft.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:27 PM
  • I have sent you an e-mail with my (Mobile) phone number and e-mail address.

Also, I tried applying the fix for Expression Web, but the program says "Error applying patch to file C:\Config.msi\PTE716.tmp"

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Thanks. I have forwarded your information to the Blend guys for assistance.

As for the error, this indicates that there may be a problem with your installation. The solution is to download and install the "Full_File" version of the fix.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:03 PM
  • I have sent you an e-mail with my (Mobile) phone number and e-mail address.

Also, I tried applying the fix for Expression Web, but the program says "Error applying patch to file C:\Config.msi\PTE716.tmp"

I'm sorry to say but the only way you can get Expression to work is by reinstalling Windows or by installing Windows on to a virtual machine (ie: VirtualBox). Even though there has been numerous people having this problem, Microsuck still insists there is nothing wrong with it.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Not at all true on either count. This can be fixed easily by resetting your license store for Blend. For Expression Web, we have a publicly available fix. For Expression Design, we have a private fix that will be publicly available before too long. For Blend, it still requires a license reset (which will actually resolve the issue for all Expression products.)

We have not only acknowledged that this is a bug, but we have taken measures to resolve it and we are still working on it.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:07 PM
  • So the answer is basically to wait and sit it out? If that saves me a very time consuming reinstall... I mean, I do have another PC where Expression Studio does work. It's just that I'd like to use Expression Studio on the go, hence the attempt to run it on my laptop.

I have to say, though, despite this major problem, I still think the Expression Suite is a superb set of tools.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Tom,

The Expression Blend guys told me yesterday that they would contact you and take care of it. While reinstalling Windows will certainly fix the problem, it's not necessary. We can reset your license store in about 5 minutes on the phone. To save some time, you can uninstall ALL of your Expression Studio products before they contact you. That's the most time-consuming part of the process.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Hi Jim,

So if I'm understanding it correctly, the only ways to solve this issue are:

1) reset the license store

2) reinstall windows.

the same issue arose on my laptop after I used the refresh my pc feature in the win 8 cp. At least I think that's what it is.

Is there someone I could just write an email to and get it sorted? The problem is only with studio version 4. the blend 5 beta works perfectly.

Thanks a lot!

Monday, May 21, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Abhilaksh,

You will need to open a case with us to resolve this. Details appear earlier in this thread. This cannot be resolved via email.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:43 PM
  • I have the same problem with Expression Design (Studio 4) from MSDN after upgrading W7 -> W8. I tried the Expression Web hotfix - it didn't work.

Is there a fix for this yet?

How do I "reset my license store"?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:56 PM
  • I have the same problem with Expression Design (Studio 4) from MSDN after upgrading W7 -> W8. I tried the Expression Web hotfix - it didn't work.

Is there a fix for this yet?

How do I "reset my license store"?

To reset the license store, delete the directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SL\DL2\SoftwareLicensing and then reinstall Expression Studio. I did that but still no cigar and I also recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 8. I'm not sure why this is taking so long for Microsoft to fix. I guess I will just use Visual Studio for now...
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:46 AM
  • I'm so shocked that this issue has not been resolved. This just happened to me and after reading the forums it seems this issue is years old and very common. How about you create a hot fix?

And no I'm not going to Microsoft support and giving you my credit card number.

Thanks

Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:02 PM
  • I'm so shocked that this issue has not been resolved. This just happened to me and after reading the forums it seems this issue is years old and very common. How about you create a hot fix?

And no I'm not going to Microsoft support and giving you my credit card number.

Thanks

I agree. Even after contacting MS Support and giving them my credit card number, they still weren't able to fix my (and everyone elses) issue. All they said was your Windows isn't genuine and thats the problem. Well thats not the problem! I paid good money for my Windows from Walmart and if they need proof, I have the software box here with my product key and even the receipt to prove I bought it. The bigger problem is why they won't fix Expression Studio... You'd think the software developers would take a hint from everyone reporting this problem on the internet and come up with a solution to this problem. I give up....
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:35 AM