none
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8"

Question

•  

I did my first EW2 page… I ran it pass the W3C XHTML 1.0 validator.  It came up with one warning… W3C says I could not use the following Meta tag until should time it becomes more standard on various browsers.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" />

I switch to the following Meta tag… and the code passed 100%..

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

Question: is there a way to set EW2 to insert the last Meta Tag?

Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Gene,
    You can turn off the byte order mark by clicking Tools > Page editor options and then the Authoring tab on the dialog that opens.

Uncheck the file extensions you do not want a BOM added to under the list of file extensions under the "Add a byte order mark (bom)" section of the dialog and then click OK

However, the only file extension that seems to have issues with the BOM is .php pages / files
    on non windows servers.

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:12 AM
  • UTF-8 is supported by all relevant browsers for over a decade. Just ignore the silly warning from the outdated W3C validator, and keep UTF-8. It's the best choice in almost all scenarios unless PHP is involved. Also keep the BOM, which is often useful as an unambiguous encoding declaration.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 3:21 AM

All replies

• I found this on the NET... Can someone clarify if this is true? If so, will charset=utf-8 cause problems on some browers and why shouldn't I use it? Does EW2 use the additional characters? I can automatic default to iso-8859-1 in EW2... Is it a good practice?

Start of the Net Message:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using either of the following?

The advantage of UTF-8 (which is a concrete representation of the more
    abstract "Unicode" set of characters) is that it has vastly more
    characters than ISO-8859-1.

The advantage of ISO-8859-1 is that is enjoys slightly wider support than
    UTF-8.

If you don't require the extra characters offered by Unicode, then go with
    ISO-8859-1.

> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    > <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

You should use whichever META tag most accurately reflects the character
    set used by your page. That sounds useless and like I'm evading the
    question, but it really is the best possible answer. (Except to say that
    it's better to use a *real* HTTP header than this META tag.)

End of the NET Message....

Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:22 AM
  •  This is the error message I get from W3C....

Warning Byte-Order Mark found in UTF-8 File.

The Unicode Byte-Order Mark (BOM) in UTF-8 encoded files is known to cause problems for some text editors and older browsers. You may want to consider avoiding its use until it is better supported.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Hi Gene,
    You can turn off the byte order mark by clicking Tools > Page editor options and then the Authoring tab on the dialog that opens.

Uncheck the file extensions you do not want a BOM added to under the list of file extensions under the "Add a byte order mark (bom)" section of the dialog and then click OK

However, the only file extension that seems to have issues with the BOM is .php pages / files
    on non windows servers.

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:12 AM
  • thanks....
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:17 AM
  • UTF-8 is supported by all relevant browsers for over a decade. Just ignore the silly warning from the outdated W3C validator, and keep UTF-8. It's the best choice in almost all scenarios unless PHP is involved. Also keep the BOM, which is often useful as an unambiguous encoding declaration.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 3:21 AM