none
How to convert xej or xesc file?

Question

• I've managed to get both xej and xesc files, but neither are terribly helpful. I don't really care what format it is, as long as it's a generally recognized video format. Help?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:39 PM

All replies

• Good morning

.xej file are Expression Encoder job files and aren't registered as a video file format.

.xesc files are generated using the Expression Encoder's Screen capture utility. I suspect you're using version 3 or earlier. When you installed the screen capture utility, the installer should have installed the Screen Capture Codec as well. I expect you to see it in Add/Remove programes

You do have the option of importing the .xesc generated by the screen capture utility into Expression Encoder then transcode it into any format you choose e.g. .wmv or .mpg then play with your desired media player.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Good morning

.xej file are Expression Encoder job files and aren't registered as a video file format.

.xesc files are generated using the Expression Encoder's Screen capture utility. I suspect you're using version 3 or earlier. When you installed the screen capture utility, the installer should have installed the Screen Capture Codec as well. I expect you to see it in Add/Remove programes

You do have the option of importing the .xesc generated by the screen capture utility into Expression Encoder then transcode it into any format you choose e.g. .wmv or .mpg then play with your desired media player.

Where do you go in the encoder to change the file type? ( I have encoder 4)
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Where do you go in the encoder to change the file type? ( I have encoder 4)

It is not clear whether you are referring to the difference between .xej versus .xesc, or how to convert a captured .xesc file into a player-friendly video format. An .xej job file contains encoder setup information; it is not a video file. Captured videos are saved as .xesc files that can be converted to WMV or MP4 using the EE4 transcoding utility.

The following instruction describes how to convert a captured .xesc file into MP4:

1) Open a transcoding project:

2) Import the screen capture file using | File | Import... |

• Edited by Profitic Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:02 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:23 PM
  • 3) The default video format is WMV. Use the Output Format pull-down menu to select MP4, if desired:
    4) Expand the video options and set as required:
    • Proposed as answer by Profitic Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Profitic Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:09 PM
    • Edited by Profitic Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:09 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:39 PM
  • 5) Use the Output tab to identify a location to save the encoded file(s):

6) Start the encode:

For more information on encoding, please consult the EE4 User Guide | Working with Projects | Creating a Transcoding Project | Preparing your media for encoding.

• Edited by Profitic Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:16 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

I am really hoping you can help me as I have a deadline very soon.
    I have merged 3 screen captures together in Encoder (I am completely new to this) the duration comes to about 19minutes

However, when I go to encode it, it only selects the first screen capture which is 10minutes long and converts that

How do I make it so it encodes it all into one single file?

Thanks in advance,

Charlotte

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Refer to the EE4 User Guide section | Working with projects | Editing your Media | Add multiple clips to the Timeline | for information on how to join multiple videos into one file. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294622(v=Expression.40).aspx

Sunday, January 06, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hello, I have a question. I'm trying to upload my screen captures to Youtube, but I can't due to the file being a .xej...

Can you help?

Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:00 PM
  • Screen capture files (.xesc) need to be converted to either mp4 or wmv. Instructions were posted earlier in this thread. Is there a specific question not addressed in the discussion above?
    Monday, January 07, 2013 1:49 AM
  • I'm guessing that the above is with the full version of Encoder?
    Monday, January 28, 2013 5:57 PM
  • The free version will export to wmv. EE4 Pro supports wmv and H.264/MP4 export.

Earlier releases imposed a time limit on screen captures. EE4 SP2 "no longer limits screen capture durations."

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:21 PM
  • The free version will export to wmv. EE4 Pro supports wmv and H.264/MP4 export.

Earlier releases imposed a time limit on screen captures. EE4 SP2 "no longer limits screen capture durations."

UPDATE: This may have been true a couple months ago, but now you have to have the fully featured Pro version purchased online. I am having the same problem. I had overcome this problem before, so I'm trying to figure out how I fixed it last time. I'll update soon.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:26 PM
  • I have finally found a fix! You can actually convert it to .wmv in Expression Encoder, but there is a different way to do this than the outdated instructions above. I tried Format Factory, which not only messed up my Internet settings and installed some Internet protection service I did not want nor read anything about during installation, but it DIDN'T WORK. That, apparently, is ANOTHER outdated method that seemed to work last in February. However, I found a video entitled "How to convert a .xesc file to WMV without Format Factory" on YouTube (http://youtu.be/KzWL8UfFNXc) demonstrating how to convert it in the Expression Encoder. I did it and tested it and it worked. I am SO relieved to finally have gotten this done, and it seems to be in even better quality than the last video I did (which I still don't remember how I converted). Thank you SO much to the publisher of this video!!

If you do insist on downloading Format Factory (it can be useful for converting many other types of files, and not just videos; it also has great reviews and is free), it wouldn't download for me from its website. Instead, I download it from Softonic and the download and installation began promptly after 3 failed attempts from the original website (http://www.formatoz.com). Also, I read some "bewares" about the toolbar it installs (which may be what installed against my will on my computer) so I unchecked EVERY box, just to find it installed anyway. It's called Hot-something. It's an easy fix; just uninstall it from your computer (you'll have to look that up if you don't know how; it's different for each Windows and all those programs). It will require you to close all your browsers to completely uninstall.

Anyway, my video is now YouTube compatible and working perfectly! Yay!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:34 PM
  • RENAME THE .XESC TO .WMV

Make sure u can edit file extensions in windows 7 by editing the windows explorer view options.

This is the simplest way that I got it to work; I was running out of options, I tried this, it worked great!

Not only do media players recognize it has wmv, I didn't even need to convert it or anything, I just

renamed the file that's it!

• Proposed as answer by Darius23 Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:09 PM
  • Hi can you describe how you do that, i need to convert a video and its killing me, please advise,

Thanks

Dan

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Thanks, I just renamed the .xesc to .wmv and uploaded to youtube - worked fine.
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:42 PM