none
when moving sub sites, how to prevent update of old site without down time during import

Pregunta

• Hi

I have several sites that needs to be moved with several subsites under them.

This was my plan:

I will start an export of each site. After the export finishes, I will make the site read only.  I will then make the site read only by modifying permissions and then complete the import process to the new destination. Once the import is complete, I will have a quick review of the import log and site to make sure everything is working correctly. confirming there are no issues within the imported site, I will hide the old site, rename the old site URL to ensure access is broken, and change the links in homepage.

However I know realize that there are tons of unique permissions under the sub sites, so making a sub site read only with all the nodes is no easy task. What is the best practice for this? How can I prevent users updating the existing site during the import.(I can rename the site url and break the links but this will be downtime. )Should I be sending an old-school email to warn users, 'not to update'

I thought about locking the whole site collection read only. but then this will also prevent import I think?

Any ideas will be welcome.

ceren

• Editado ova c martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 15:30
    martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 15:07

Respuestas

• I'd make sure that you backup your entire site collection (or ideally entire content database) before doing this restore. These restores can go kinda haywire. Also if you try repeatedly and dont like the results, I recommend also that you try moving the site using Manage Content and Structure instead.

Good Luck!

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 20:39

Todas las respuestas

• You want to lock at the site collection level so you do not mess with granular permissions. You want to lock before exporting. It might behoove you to move each site collection to its own content database for the sake of moving EVERYTHING. This guy has a discussion of your question.

http://blog.jonathanroussel.com/2009/04/thinking-of-copying-locked-sharepoint.html

There are third party tools for moving sites and site collections also, like DocAve, Quest, ControlPoint...

Learn.SharePoint.com

martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 15:23
  • I do not want to lock at site collection level, because I will move sites within same site collection.

I am not moving site collections, I am moving sub sites (spweb)

My site collections are already in separate databases. I will just move some sites wihtin the same site collection.

What I want is to move sites without downtime.

ceren

• Editado ova c martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 15:30
    martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 15:28
  • I can't think of a good way to keep your granular security and also use security to keep the people off the sub sites during backup...If it were a site collection we'd have lots of options...Maybe you just do it after hours and give the users a heads up saying "stay off at this date and time", maybe you go ahead and lock the site collection anyway during the backup process...

How are you going to actually move the sites? Manage Content and Structure? Powershell backup and Restore? These are different processes with different pros/cons. If they are in the same site collection I would *try* Manage Content and Structure and look at the results, and if it doesnt pan out then use powershell.

Learn.SharePoint.com

martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 16:45
  • I am using export import

Moving via content and Structure is not a good way to move large sites. It always causes trouble!

ceren

• Editado ova c martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 20:12
    martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 20:12
  • I'd make sure that you backup your entire site collection (or ideally entire content database) before doing this restore. These restores can go kinda haywire. Also if you try repeatedly and dont like the results, I recommend also that you try moving the site using Manage Content and Structure instead.

Good Luck!

Learn.SharePoint.com

martes, 01 de mayo de 2012 20:39