Having a problem with MTM.EXE ERROR in Test Professional.

Pregunta

• Hi,

I have a trial version of Microsoft Test Professional. I'm trying to create test cases for a project and all of sudden this mtm.exe error pops-up and takes away all the data if it's not saved. Can someone help me to get rid of this mtm.exe error?

Thanks!

miércoles, 09 de junio de 2010 19:21

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

Can you paste the error message that you get? Is it a process crash ? In that case, check the event viewer logs as well and paste the error from eventviewer as well.

Thanks!

jueves, 10 de junio de 2010 4:54
  • Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I was out of town. And the error i've spoken above is still an issue. The event viewer log msg is as follows:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( VSTTExecution ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: (mtm.exe, PID 25988, Thread 13) Error in IsLabConfigured. Error=TF259194: System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 Admin Console is not installed on following machine : CWAPTFS02PV. Please make sure it is installed properly before performing any Lab Management operation...

Thanks!

viernes, 09 de julio de 2010 18:59
  • Lavanya, can you share the outcome of this issue with our readers? Has it been resolved?
    miércoles, 27 de octubre de 2010 17:24
    Moderador
  • I see this same error really annoying microsft need to provide solution soon
    seeya
    jueves, 18 de noviembre de 2010 3:50
  • We are experiencing the same error message. Anyone have an idea of what to do? Currently we use VMware as our virtualization tool. What role does SCVMM play in TFS?

jueves, 02 de diciembre de 2010 14:40
  •  

Hello All

You can safely ignore this error shown in event viewer (It comes because Lab Management is configured on the TFS)

We recently released a rollup QFE for Microsoft Test Manager that contains fixes for some crashes, memory leaks and other issues reported. This patch is available for public download on Connect . The list of issues it services is available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387011 

This patch is a client only patch, so you don’t need to update your TFS server at all – just download and install the patch on the client machine where MTM is installed. This patch is applicable to Visual Studio Ultimate 2010 and Visual Studio Test Pro 2010.

Let us know you are still facing this issue.

Thanks!

Hariveer Singh (haris[AT]microsoft.com) Program Manager, Visual Studio 2010 Lab Management
    jueves, 09 de diciembre de 2010 12:13
    Moderador
  • Hi Lavanya, Goldfish, Staats

I hope the problem is fixed after installing the above mentioned QFE (KB2387011). In case you have any additional queries, kindly let us know.

Thanks!

Hariveer Singh | If a post appropriately answers your query, Click 'Mark as Answer'.
    miércoles, 22 de diciembre de 2010 18:31
    Moderador
  • We have this problem with some machines as well. The server is on Windows 2008 R2 64 bit. One client machine runs Windows 7 (32 bit), VS2010 Ultimate, Test Professional 2010, Test Scribe. Everything runs fine. Another machine runs Windows 7 (32 bit). Test Professional 2010 and crashes Test Professional when Test Scribe is installed. Otherwise it runs Test Professional fine. Another machine runs Windows 7 (32 bit). Test Professional 2010 (no Test Scribe) and crashes intermittently in Test Manager. The two machines that crash have installed the Test Manager patch from  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387011 but it did not help.

We are ready to implement Test Manager 2010 but it may go on hold due to these errors.

Here is one of the errors from the Event log on the server:

>>

TF53010: The following error has occurred in a Team Foundation component or extension:

Date (UTC): 3/9/2011 7:26:17 PM

Machine: SERVER1

Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/8080/ROOT/tfs-1-129441351665000000

Assembly: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Framework.Server, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a; v2.0.50727

Service Host:

Process Details:

Process Name: w3wp

Process Id: 3688

Thread Id: 4400

Account name: DOMAIN\123456

Detailed Message: "LabService error has occurred"

Web Request Details

Url: http://SERVER11:8080/tfs/_tfs_resources/Lab/v3.0/LabService.asmx [method: POST]

User Agent: Team Foundation (mtm.exe, 10.0.30319.1)

Headers: Content-Length=418&Content-Type=application%2fsoap%2bxml%3b+charset%3dutf-8&Accept-Encoding=gzip&Accept-Language=en-US&Expect=100-continue&Host=gbtfs1%3a8080&User-Agent=Team+Foundation+(mtm.exe%2c+10.0.30319.1)&X-TFS-Version=1.0.0.0&X-TFS-Session=bcbdd348-feb0-415a-9173-c11bc019bcdf&TF-Instance=bcbdd348-feb0-415a-9173-c11bc019bcdf&SOAPAction=http%3a%2f%2fschemas.microsoft.com%2fTeamFoundation%2f2008%2f01%2fLab%2fLabService%2f01%2fListTeamProjectLibraryShares

Path: /tfs/_tfs_resources/Lab/v3.0/LabService.asmx

Local Request: False

Host Address: 10.1.47.147

User: domain\123456 [authentication type: NTLM]

Exception Message: TF259194: System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 Admin Console is not installed on following machine : SERVER1. Please make sure it is installed properly before performing any Lab Management operation. (type LabServicesUnavailableException)

Exception Stack Trace:

<<

viernes, 11 de marzo de 2011 16:24
  • Hello,

I am working with Visual Studio 2010 Team Foundation Server Ultimate. Everyday I see the MTM.exe error and the VSTTExecution error. My computer has all updates from Microsoft for Windows XP and Visual Studio 2010 including SP 1 released in the fall.

Today I lost 3 hours of work just trying to get the application to launch. Everyday I loose some amount of time because of this issue. The problem was gone after some of the updates in December. I ran without this error until around three weeks ago. Now the problem is worse than ever before.

Event Viewer information for the application hang:

Hanging application mtm.exe, version 10.0.30319.360, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Viewer information for the VSTTExecution:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( VSTTExecution ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: (mtm.exe, PID 5248, Thread 3) Error in IsLabConfigured. Error=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: TF259194: System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 Admin Console is not installed on following machine : TFS2010APP01. Please make sure it is installed properly before performing any Lab Management operation.

at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Lab.Server.LabService.ListTeamProjectLibr

I have a dump file available if you need it please let me know where you would me to send it. Also I forgot to say I do have the latest updates for VS2010 installed.

Please help!

lunes, 21 de marzo de 2011 21:37
  • Hi Rose,

Could you share with me how "TFS2010APP01" being used?

Taking a guess from its name it seems to be an AT tfs possibly in a multi-AT setup. If so, could you request your admin to verify that this machine has the appropriate version of SCVMM admin console installed on it.

Thanks

Allen Mathias

martes, 22 de marzo de 2011 14:11
  • Hi Allen,

Thank you for the response. I am not sure how "TFS2010APP01" is used. I am not using Lab Manager and no one on my team is using Lab Manager. We use the Testing Center section only. I have asked my manager to verify with the admin for TFS and will pass along the answer when I get a response from them.

Thank you,

Rose

martes, 22 de marzo de 2011 17:29
  • Hi Allen,

My Manager and the admin have confirmed that the name of our TFS server is TFS2010APP01. They do not understand why SCVMM (virtual machine) admin console need to be installed on it if we are not using Lab Manager. They also do not understand why I am the only one running into this problem when there are 5 other testers using Test Manager.

Thank you,

Rose

martes, 22 de marzo de 2011 19:24
  • My mistake for assuming that you are using Lab Management. While you have confirmed that this is a tfs AT could you share out if there are multiple ATs in the server configuration?

Two things that could possibly help me.

1) Can you check the labsettings on this AT/TFS 'tfsconfig lab /settings /list' This should be all empty.

2) Do 'tfslabconfig.exe getvmmserver /collection:<collectionurl>' for the collection that you are connecting to. This should be empty too. You can run this from your client machine itself.

Thanks

Allen Mathias

miércoles, 23 de marzo de 2011 14:08
  • Hi Allen,

Thank you for the response. I am still waiting for a response from management on the 1st step. On the second I cannot get this to run on my machine. I am sorry to say I am not sure where to run the line. I tried from "run" and from Explorer. I asked my manager if she knew where to run the line and am waiting for a response.

Thank you,

Rose Meadows

jueves, 24 de marzo de 2011 17:13
  • Not a problem. Here are the steps.

Open up an admin command prompt

cd <VS2010 InstallDir>\Common7\Ide

TfsLabConfig.exe getvmmserver /collection:http://TFS2010APP01:8080/tfs/<collectionname>

Thanks

Allen Mathias

viernes, 25 de marzo de 2011 3:38
  • Hi Allen,

Our TFS admin replied to your questions:

The response to #2 is:

"There is no SCVMM server associated with this project collection"

On the app tier server reports that:

"This feature requires Microsoft Visual Studio Lab Management..."

He also asked our IT department to verify my connectivity to the server. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to check.

Thank you,

Rose Meadows

lunes, 28 de marzo de 2011 18:32
  • Ok, Can you share out your dump on a secure share (windows skydrive) and email me the link at allendm-msft@hotmail.com. I can then help debug the issue further.

Thanks

Allen Mathias

martes, 29 de marzo de 2011 3:54
  • Hi Allen,

Thank you for all of your help. It seems that my IT department made some changes to the network last Sunday and now MTM is working great. I am sorry to have had to bother you with something that I was sure was an internal network issue.

Take care,

Rose Meadows

viernes, 01 de abril de 2011 13:09
  • Can you explain what the network issue was? I am running into the same problem here. I'm not using Lab Manager and it is not configured. It usually crashes during or at the start of running a manual test.

Error in IsLabConfigured. Error=TF259194: System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 Admin Console is not installed on following machine : . Please make sure it is installed properly before performing any Lab Management operation

• Editado Doinky martes, 04 de octubre de 2011 14:44
    martes, 04 de octubre de 2011 14:43
  • Hi Lavanya,

The issues I had were resolved with updates from Microsoft. Maybe the trial version does not have the updates? I have also noticed that you will get these strange errors if your Windows OS is not up to date. Make sure everything on your PC has all of the needed Windows updates.

Oh yes, when I switched to Windows 7 OS the problems went away completely.

I hope this helps,

Rose

martes, 04 de octubre de 2011 15:11
  • Hi,

One of the issues was a setting within the browser. My company uses an automatic configuration script and for some reason it was selected as well as Automatically detect settings. This caused MTM to hang and crash. To get to the screen via Explorer go into Internet Options and choose Connections. Next choose Lan Settings. The two settings I am talking about are in the Automatic configuration area of the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog.

Another issue is that Visual Studio and the operating system of the box being used need to have all of the latest updates from Microsoft.

I hope this helps,

Rose

martes, 04 de octubre de 2011 15:26
  • I'm still having this issue with all the latest updates to Windows and Visual Studio. I always get the error when running a test and alt tabbing or switching to another window that is not inside the test window. This is really frustrating because there is no clear problem or solution.

• Editado Doinky jueves, 02 de febrero de 2012 19:36
    jueves, 02 de febrero de 2012 19:26
  • Hello, Hariveer (or the current Microsoft Monitor)--

I too am having this issue where an unknown error appears upon attempting to open MTM. I downloaded the patch and the error is still occurring. Do you have any additional suggestions for addressing this issue?

Thanks!

miércoles, 06 de junio de 2012 16:28
  • Hi, I am also experiencing this issue since installing Visual Studio 2012 RC.  Every time I open a test plan in Test Manager 2010 I get an error message that "mtm.exe has stopped working".  I have installed the hotfix and even ran a repair on VS2010.  If I delete C:\Users\WolskiB\AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamTest, I can run Test Manager 2010, but it crashes after I select a test plan.

How can I fix this issue? 

Here's an extract from the Error event log:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.Stack Trace ==>   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Client.WpfControls.DataGridConfigurator.ApplyColumns(String categoryReferenceName, DataGridControl dataGrid, String valuePathPrefix)

at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Activities.ManageTestSuitesView.ManageTestSuiteView_Loaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

lunes, 09 de julio de 2012 22:38