none
NTFS documentation

Pregunta

• Is there any documentation for NTFS?
    I have found some documentations on Internet, but they are not detailed enough. I would like to have details like the relationship between Data Runs and the checking bytes of update sequence in each sector.

Is it possible to provide this? Thanks.
    lunes, 30 de marzo de 2009 3:09

Respuestas

• Good morning Jensan. I have been advised that we do license the NTFS specification. However, there is no direct link on any of our websites for this. If you wish to pursue the matter, go to the following:

Microsoft Intellectual Property Licensing
    http://www.microsoft.com/iplicensing/Default.aspx

Near the lower right of the 'Create Your Next Big Thing' box, under 'License', click:
    • How to license Microsoft Intellectual Property

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    • Marcado como respuesta Bill Wesse MSFT miércoles, 15 de abril de 2009 11:38
    miércoles, 15 de abril de 2009 11:38
  • Good morning again Jensan. There should not be any conflict with any other programs; I double-checked 'how to' on NTFS licensing. Even though is is possible to license it, there is no choice for it on our Intellectual Property Licensing page; it must be requested separately, via the email link shown below.

Near the lower right of the 'Create Your Next Big Thing' box, under 'License', click:
    • Patent Licensing Enquiries

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    lunes, 27 de abril de 2009 9:08
  • You're welcome. I have already forwarded your request!

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    • Marcado como respuesta Bill Wesse MSFT miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2009 10:56
    miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2009 10:56
  • You are very welcome! Glad to have been of assistance.

Regards,

Bill Wesse

• Marcado como respuesta Bill Wesse lunes, 13 de septiembre de 2010 12:10
    lunes, 13 de septiembre de 2010 12:09

Todas las respuestas

• Looks like your chances are not good: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/isvtoolsprocessesandarchitecture/thread/699e4f81-e54c-4326-b775-17c68526a1bd/

I guess it is worth waiting for an official microsoft response...

Brad

lunes, 30 de marzo de 2009 4:31
  • Thanks...Very helpful.

At least I know the attitude of Microsoft.
    lunes, 30 de marzo de 2009 6:43
  • Hi Jensan, thanks for your question.

This forum is for software developers who are using the Open Protocol Specification documentation to assist them in developing systems, services, and applications that are interoperable with Windows. The Open Protocol Specifications can be found at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350.aspx. NTFS is not part of the specifications.

Despite that, I have already requested internal guidance concerning this, and will respond as soon as possible.

Please note there are no NTFS offerings on 'Microsoft Intellectual Property Licensing' (http://www.microsoft.com/iplicensing/productDetail.aspx?productTitle=Microsoft%20Sync%20Framework).

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    lunes, 30 de marzo de 2009 11:45
  • Thanks for the reply.

I am sorry to have posted in a wrong place, but I had spent 15 minutes to try to find out where this question should be asked, and thought that this is the most suitable place.

If there is no such document or it is MS's privacy, that's fine. I just want to make sure not to spend too much time on studying something which is already available.
    miércoles, 01 de abril de 2009 6:27
  • Jensan - no problem - this particular forum the isn't precisely the wrong place; even though NTFS is outside my group's scope, we do get the occasional request concerning formats and specifications. I do expect some final information to be forthcoming soon from program management (especially so, since our property licensing page doesn't list NTFS). I am advised the specification should be available through licensing.

Brad - sorry I didn't say hello in my previous post. A momentary lapse of reason on my part.

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    miércoles, 01 de abril de 2009 9:05
  • Good morning Jensan. I have been advised that we do license the NTFS specification. However, there is no direct link on any of our websites for this. If you wish to pursue the matter, go to the following:

• How to license Microsoft Intellectual Property

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    • Marcado como respuesta Bill Wesse MSFT miércoles, 15 de abril de 2009 11:38
    miércoles, 15 de abril de 2009 11:38
  • Bill,

We will check it out. Thanks a lot.
    viernes, 24 de abril de 2009 9:22
  • Bill,

I have a couple of questions:

1. Actually we have joined the Gold Partnership program already. Is there any conflict with this?

2. I can't find any NTFS related topic. How can I license it?

Thanks.
    viernes, 24 de abril de 2009 9:30
  • Good morning again Jensan. There should not be any conflict with any other programs; I double-checked 'how to' on NTFS licensing. Even though is is possible to license it, there is no choice for it on our Intellectual Property Licensing page; it must be requested separately, via the email link shown below.

• Patent Licensing Enquiries

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    lunes, 27 de abril de 2009 9:08
  • Bill,

I am sorry that I need to push this thread again.

I have followed your link and sent two emails like this:

Interested in Receiving More Information for Patent License 

I am interested in patent licenses from Microsoft. [place an x in appropriate choice]:

yes [ x ]

no [  ]

I would be interested to receive more information for the patent license for the following technology.Please enter the name of the technology or specification here:

NTFS

The first email was sent a week ago, and the next email was sent yesterday. There is no response.

Am I doing anything wrong with this? Normally how long should I wait for?

Thank you.
    martes, 05 de mayo de 2009 1:05
  • No problem - I will see what I can find out. I would expect you to have been answered expeditiously.

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    martes, 05 de mayo de 2009 18:23
  • Jensan - it looks like the iplpat@microsoft.com is temporarily out of commission. I will check on that again tomorrow, and let you know what's up...

Regards,
    Bill Wesse
    Escalation Engineer
    miércoles, 06 de mayo de 2009 20:07
  • Thanks Bill.

Is there any news?
    miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 1:28
  • No problem - the the iplpat@microsoft.com alias is still out of comission. I will check with my internal contacts today about what other options are available.

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 11:10
  • Bill,

Is there any news? However I don't think we can wait forever. Honestly I am quite disappointed that there is no way to join the programme at all, but thanks for all the efforts you have paid on this issue. If there is any news, please let me know.

Regards,
    Jensan
    lunes, 25 de mayo de 2009 3:59
  • Yes - I have located the people who service the (broken) email alias, and have sent direct internal email to them. I expect an answer tomorrow (as soon as everyone is back from the Memorial Day holiday).

I do apologize for not being able to get to this point sooner.

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    lunes, 25 de mayo de 2009 15:09
  • Jensan - could you email your request to dochelp@microsoft.com? That way, I can forward it directly to those responsible for iplpat@microsoft.com (which is still broken), without exposing either of our email addresses on the Internet.

Thanks!
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    martes, 26 de mayo de 2009 10:14
  • Thanks Bill. I have sent an email to the address.
    miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2009 6:33
  • You're welcome. I have already forwarded your request!

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    • Marcado como respuesta Bill Wesse MSFT miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2009 10:56
    miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2009 10:56
  • FYI, the correct alias for licensing requests would be iplcust@microsoft.com.  You can also visit IP Licensing page for more information. 

Best regards, Tom Jebo Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft Open Specification Documentation Support
    jueves, 17 de diciembre de 2009 20:42
    Moderador
  • You are very welcome! Glad to have been of assistance.

Regards,

Bill Wesse

• Marcado como respuesta Bill Wesse lunes, 13 de septiembre de 2010 12:10
    lunes, 13 de septiembre de 2010 12:09
  • I remember seeing my 1st Rootkit trojan in 1998 and being so excited to be the 1st to call Eugene Kaspirsky and let him know.

I was just wondering if the attribute bits have changed since then and their leverage within Windows. It all has to do with the Volume Name file is the only file that can have the V attrib assigned. WHY? because when a DIR in command terminal or listing in Explorer.exe window is done, the Volume Label file is hidden and assigned to the Disk volume where used.  The hole in this rule is that any file or folder with the hidden -v attribute flag is also hidden. Of course this can only be done offline or in my case on win98 using a raw Diskedit.exe utility to change 1 bit in the once formatted win98 system in FAT32 with the ATTRIButes for the \Windows folder. which made it hidden by the rule default and hence "Operating System" not found... and the most effective 1 bit rootkit I have ever seen that infected our IT mgr and me (from her floppy months later). But I was the only one successful to detect the flaw and fix it with a single bit toggle from 1 to 0 to restore the OS.

I was just wondering if the V attribute still exist in NTFS and how it is used. or misused as a vulnerability. Just a heads up... naturally the disclosure if the v bit is hidden or a rootkit itself ;) so attrib  {-rashi } is all you can change in Windows.

E. Engineer since 1975

martes, 22 de mayo de 2012 19:51
  • Hi Sunnyskyguy,

This forum is for software developers who are using the Open Protocol Specification documentation to assist them in developing systems, services, and applications that are interoperable with Windows. The Open Protocol Specifications can be found at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350.aspx. NTFS is not part of the specifications.

Your question may have a better chance to be answered here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/threads

Thanks and regards,

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT Escalation Engineer Protocol Documentation Team

miércoles, 23 de mayo de 2012 13:36
    Moderador