Implementing a File System

Pregunta

• Hello everybody.  I need to implement a filesystem on a diskette, with operations such as format, copy files, directories, etc.  I need to implement my own FS architecture, so I need a way to access directly the data blocks on the diskette.  How can I do that?
    jueves, 18 de agosto de 2005 23:13

Respuestas

• Hi,

I think this is quite a general question. IMO, this could be achieved using low-level language such as C++, or even assembly. Read books that discusses this kind of approach. And If you encounter some specific problems then don't hesitate to post it here...

cheers,

Paul June A. Domag

viernes, 19 de agosto de 2005 2:54
  • Hi,

It sould be possible to write a filesystem in C# as well. In fact Microsoft Research has an OS in C#. Take a look here: http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

However, based on your need which requires more of a direct low-level access, I would agree with Paul in saying that C++ would be the way to go.

Regards,
    Vikram
    viernes, 19 de agosto de 2005 4:33
  • I'd have to agree with Paul and Vikram. You probably want to be looking at writing using C or C++. That said, you may want to look at TinyOS written by Scott Hanselman. A simple implementation, but it will give you the general idea of what goes into a file system. Another good source of the C++ bent is NACHOS (Not Another Completely Heursitic Operating System), which I worked with in university. Great little toy OS for exploring OS concepts, including file systems. You might also want to explore the FreeBSD and/or Linux kernels for their file system implementations. A good discussion of file systems from an implementation perspective can be found in The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System aka "The Little Demon Book".
    viernes, 19 de agosto de 2005 6:09

Todas las respuestas

• Hi,

I think this is quite a general question. IMO, this could be achieved using low-level language such as C++, or even assembly. Read books that discusses this kind of approach. And If you encounter some specific problems then don't hesitate to post it here...

cheers,

Paul June A. Domag

viernes, 19 de agosto de 2005 2:54
  • Hi,

It sould be possible to write a filesystem in C# as well. In fact Microsoft Research has an OS in C#. Take a look here: http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

However, based on your need which requires more of a direct low-level access, I would agree with Paul in saying that C++ would be the way to go.

Regards,
    Vikram
    viernes, 19 de agosto de 2005 4:33
  • I'd have to agree with Paul and Vikram. You probably want to be looking at writing using C or C++. That said, you may want to look at TinyOS written by Scott Hanselman. A simple implementation, but it will give you the general idea of what goes into a file system. Another good source of the C++ bent is NACHOS (Not Another Completely Heursitic Operating System), which I worked with in university. Great little toy OS for exploring OS concepts, including file systems. You might also want to explore the FreeBSD and/or Linux kernels for their file system implementations. A good discussion of file systems from an implementation perspective can be found in The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System aka "The Little Demon Book".
    viernes, 19 de agosto de 2005 6:09
  • Hey andro, I need to implement a similar file system with your specs. If you do find anything related, or the implementation of the file system, could you patch it through to me? Thanks
    viernes, 26 de agosto de 2005 4:21
  • Hello, the only way i found was wrapping the windows api with functions like "CreateFile", "ReadFile" and "WriteFile" on the kernel32.dll.  I found a good resource on this site.  Anyway, I'm still trying to get it to work well Tongue Tied.  Thanks for all your help.
    martes, 04 de octubre de 2005 16:04
  • Another option that I had was using linux, since all devices are treated like files, I would only have to open, read and write to the file /dev/fd0, but I thought it was a pretty easy solution.
    martes, 04 de octubre de 2005 16:06