none
msxml 4.0 SP2 (kb 927978) istalling continuously

Pregunta

• I reinstalled my sistem three weeks ego.Updates coming one by one,every minute ,non-stop.After every update finished,in my C disk is making a new file like ff22b18b93b61efeac529dda2518...calling.There is more than 400 of those files.Can someone tell me if is something wrong with my laptop and if it is what to do?thanks!
    martes, 23 de enero de 2007 10:06

Respuestas

• Hello everyone how have read this message. I found the solution for this issue (it works for me. I hope i works for you too).

1. DELETE all your IE (I use IE7 so I don't know if happen the same with IE6cookies and temporary internet files.
    2. Uninstall the previous MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) in ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS list.
    3. Re-Install the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2). This reinstallation will take less than the first installation of Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable.
    4. Install again the MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978). 
    5. Restart your computer.
    6. To confirm this solution go to Microsoft Update. If this works the MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) update will not appear again in the update list.

Take care everyone. And I hope that if someone solve this problem with other method please write down here.

Regards,

c.garnier

lunes, 05 de febrero de 2007 2:43
  • Gentlefolk,

To resolve this issue I am now using the following process successfully;

1.  Use add/remove programs (with the "Show Updates" box checked) to remove both MSXML patches.

2.  Download 927978 manually from MS's site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=24B7D141-6CDF-4FC4-A91B-6F18FE6921D4&displaylang=en assuming your language is English)

3.  Manually install the file once downloaded.

4.  Reboot

I have been using this method successfully on machines WITH Symantec AntiVirus installed, and have not needed to disable Symantec at any point.  I also found I don't have to disable Automatic Updates (as I earlier had believed).  After completion, you may wish to delete the multiple folders at the root of your C:\ with random numbers - they are earlier installation folders.

Microsoft - could you please address this issue and patch these patches?

Karen G.

martes, 06 de marzo de 2007 19:22
  • I was enduring the same symotoms...Update kept prompting to update this file, I would, Install successful, but prompted again repeatedly. (Using Windows Vista)

Fix:

(Vista)

Go to Control Panel

Programs and Features (XP - Add/Remove rograms)

Locate the update - It is on the installed Programs list

Uninstall it

Re-Boot

When prompted by the Microsoft Update feature, re-install the update.

(If you do not have MS Update set to automatically update...run the update manually)

I have received no more promptings!

This corrected it for me :-)

Actually, a pretty simple fix, wouldn't you agree :-)

domingo, 18 de marzo de 2007 17:13

Todas las respuestas

• I'm getting the same problem.  I haven't found a fix so far.
    lunes, 29 de enero de 2007 15:32
  • Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978
    I am getting this error on all new laptops as soon as the Windows Update kicks in. 
    viernes, 02 de febrero de 2007 1:45
  • I'm getting the same, but not on a laptop. I got suspicious after I was told the 20th or 30th time an upgrade was ready to be installed. The link above doesn't lead to a fix for this one. Looks like MS have a bit of a problem here.

viernes, 02 de febrero de 2007 21:06
  • +1

I am continually getting a second MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update as well:

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672)

I've been getting these on one computer for the past couple of days, but haven't found it to be a problem on a second computer. Both computers are desktops, both XP SP2, but the computer encountering this problem was re-installed approx 4 weeks ago and is running  IE 7. The computer without the problem was set up Sept 2006 and is still running IE 6. (Don't know whether the browser version makes a difference or not.)

Like Alan, I see nothing of help in the KB link.

sábado, 03 de febrero de 2007 16:31
  • I don't know if the version of IE is relevant either, but for what it's worth I am using IE7.

FYI the following is the text of a letter I've just written to MS in the UK........

Dear Microsoft,

There are problems with the MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB 927978) update. Judging by the discussion groups, they are affecting a lot of people.

The problem I’ve had is that it repeatedly offers itself for installation, and it’s clear I’m by no means the only one who has had this. I don’t have automatic updates enabled, but prefer to authorise it manually, which, it turns out, is a very good thing; otherwise I’d by now have many thousands of log files, all called msxml4-KB927978-enu.log,  each in it own newly created subdirectory of my root directory. They’re all about 200KB, so in a PC switched on all the time this one can gobble up disk space at the rate of about 2GB per week without a user knowing what’s going on. It isn’t good. Now I know I was right not to opt for your recommended setting.

I’ve found out how (via the ‘Custom Install’ option) to tell it not to offer itself any more, which temporarily removes the irritation, but I would like to know:-

a)      Does this mean the update has failed to install, and my PC remains vulnerable?

b)      How do I solve the problem properly?

There are a lot of people posting things in discussion forums who would like answers to the same questions. Most of the ‘solutions’ offered there are no help, to the extent that I’ve given up looking for one that does.

Since this problem has arisen because your software doesn’t work well, I think you owe it to us to get the thing sorted, and tell everyone about it, as soon as possible. I trust also that any support or assistance users need in respect of solving this problem will be offered entirely free of charge, without question.

Yours sincerely, etc.

sábado, 03 de febrero de 2007 16:38
  • Hi:

I've the same error after my last OS reinstallation (that was two week ago aprox). This update have been creating folder's (more than 8) in my C disk with a strange combination of letters and numbers. I tried a lot of methods to resolve or find an answer for this error. But, it still happen the same. If anyone find the answer for this error I'll appreciate.

lunes, 05 de febrero de 2007 0:51
  • Hello everyone how have read this message. I found the solution for this issue (it works for me. I hope i works for you too).

1. DELETE all your IE (I use IE7 so I don't know if happen the same with IE6cookies and temporary internet files.
    2. Uninstall the previous MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) in ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS list.
    3. Re-Install the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2). This reinstallation will take less than the first installation of Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable.
    4. Install again the MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978). 
    5. Restart your computer.
    6. To confirm this solution go to Microsoft Update. If this works the MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) update will not appear again in the update list.

Take care everyone. And I hope that if someone solve this problem with other method please write down here.

Regards,

c.garnier

lunes, 05 de febrero de 2007 2:43
  • Please send me the log file and we will look into it. The issue could happen when there are pending file rename operations because of a previous patch which resulted in the file not being updated. As the current update approaches it might see that there are some pending files which requires to be updated and it fails. Can you please also let me know what is the version of msxml4.dll in Sys32 directory before and after the update offer.

Thanks,

Nosheen Syed

Program Manager

Microsoft.

lunes, 05 de febrero de 2007 16:10
  • I tried to sent you all the information that you request. But, I received a failure message with your email. Please, confirm it to me. I hope that my information help others issue.

Thanks,
    Cesar Garnier
    c.garnier'at'gmail.com
    lunes, 05 de febrero de 2007 16:48
  • I have had the same problems in the past two weeks building new laptops.  Per the above quoted MS Article, it was trying to install SP1 and SP2 patches.  I tried to follow the article, but as the updates were not listed in the add/remove programs, that didn't work.  So, first I turned off Automagic updates, then I deleted the .dll file referenced in the article (msxml4.dll), then I downloaded manually the SP2 patch from microsoft.com, and ran it locally.  During the install, the program asked if I wanted to repair, to which I said yes (per the MS article).  Then it rewrote the .dll.

I then went back to windows update, and it no longer showed I needed those two patches.  I then turned Automagic Updates, and it no longer attempted to install the patches.

Karen G.

miércoles, 07 de febrero de 2007 0:35
  • Worked great and it was quick to do!  Thank you.

All the best.
    jueves, 08 de febrero de 2007 12:49
  • I had this same problem. I found that attempts to install the update did not update the Msxml4.dll file to version 4.20.9841.0, and I therefore assumed the update had failed. This probably explained the continous installations.

My solution seemed so simple that I wondered about it, but switching off my Norton AntiVirus, resulted in a successful install withe the correct version of Msxml4.dll installed and no repeated rquests to update.

I hope this is a general solution!

miércoles, 14 de febrero de 2007 12:16
  • Friend of mine had this problem and solved it by uninstalling MSXML4 and installing it back.

jueves, 15 de febrero de 2007 7:01
  • I just built a new XP Pro SP2 machine yesterday and after the 80+ patches were updated I am seeing these two repeat with growing numbers (10 as of now) of strange folders at the root of my second drive (not on the System disk) with a sub folder, "Update":

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672) & MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)

Since this system is fresh, I've not done any software loading other than hardware drive & software bundles.  There isn't yet any anti-virus but I was hoping to throw OneCare on today as soon as the updates were fulfilled.  I'll try going the Add/Remove route to see if this fixes things.

**edit**

OK back again- Now I've removed both and restarted.  They are still being offered; this is expected.  So now I reinstall, restart, recheck, and cross the fingers.

To be more thorough I decided to peform a step I've done before troubleshooting Update issues; remove the contents of the distribution folder such as instructed in method 10 of KB822798:

drive:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder

**edit II**

OK did all that and all checks out no more offers.  Eureka!  Thanks for your documented experiences.  The solution seems to be remove through ADD/Remove (look for KB numbers) and then return to Microsoft Updates and reinstall.

BTW, still it was weird that the temporary install folder got thrown on my external HD and not the system drive as the update said was the expected behavior.

jueves, 15 de febrero de 2007 22:13
  • Thanks ~

This solution worked on my computer and it had been reinstalling [MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)] for weeks !  I have no idea how you figured it out. It had me stumped.

sábado, 24 de febrero de 2007 4:48
  • Hello,

I was wondering if you ever got a resolution for this issue. I am not a very technical person and tried switching off anti-virus as worked for someone in this thread but not for me:(

I cannot see the update in my add/remove programmes list yet it shows 21 times in the xp help /update history as being installed succesfully!

It is very annoying to say the least to see the update waiting everytine the computer shuts down.

Can anyone help someone who has limited knowledge in these matters?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

lunes, 26 de febrero de 2007 18:48
  • I am not completely clear what needs to be done to fix this problem.

I have checked my ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and I dont see msxml 4.0 listed as being installed.  Yet, when I go to Microsofts website to check for updates and view the history of what has been installed, I find that the msxml 4.0 was installed 4 times.  Is there anything on MS website with step by step directions?

Thanks,

martes, 27 de febrero de 2007 4:55
  • I have found the following fix worked for me. My eternal thanks to the author. No more KB 927978 attempts-brilliant!

miércoles, 28 de febrero de 2007 11:36
  • KB927978 installed 8 times in 4 days.  I uninstalled the update using control panel remove applications.  I turned all items in Norton Antivirus OFF.  I reinstalled the update, rebooted.  The update notice was gone and the update had installed successfully.  Thank you!
    jueves, 01 de marzo de 2007 1:55
  • Question: did anyone find out whether the "strangely numbered directories" can be deleted after the fix, or even if there is a way to delete them?  It sounds like the bug is serious enough that it will eat up a lot of space.  Going to try a number of these fixes tonight, as I am having the same problem.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Gil

jueves, 01 de marzo de 2007 21:04
  • Many other posts point to turning off Norton AntiVirus as part of the fix.  did you have to do this as well in order to successfully uninstall/reinstall?

Thanks!

Gil

jueves, 01 de marzo de 2007 21:17
  • Norton has nothing to do with this.  Still, turning off any AV product during an installation is a standard troubleshooting step for problematic installations.
    viernes, 02 de marzo de 2007 20:18
  •  

I, too, am having the exact same problem with a new laptop I purchased at the end of December.  I haven't yet tried c. garnier's fix, but will do so this afternoon.

Additionally, I cannot delete some of the folders left on my hard drive after an install.  For example, I have a folder named with a seemingly random string of 26 letters and numbers that has a subfolder also named with a seemingly random string of 26 letters and numbers.  Every time I try deleting the subfolder, I get an "access denied" error message, and I can't find any way to delete it -- even though I'm logged in as administrator on my machine.

sábado, 03 de marzo de 2007 20:46
  • would someone please tell me exactly what to do to solve this problem
    martes, 06 de marzo de 2007 3:49
  • Gentlefolk,

To resolve this issue I am now using the following process successfully;

1.  Use add/remove programs (with the "Show Updates" box checked) to remove both MSXML patches.

2.  Download 927978 manually from MS's site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=24B7D141-6CDF-4FC4-A91B-6F18FE6921D4&displaylang=en assuming your language is English)

3.  Manually install the file once downloaded.

4.  Reboot

I have been using this method successfully on machines WITH Symantec AntiVirus installed, and have not needed to disable Symantec at any point.  I also found I don't have to disable Automatic Updates (as I earlier had believed).  After completion, you may wish to delete the multiple folders at the root of your C:\ with random numbers - they are earlier installation folders.

Microsoft - could you please address this issue and patch these patches?

Karen G.

martes, 06 de marzo de 2007 19:22
  • I, too, have the same problem you described (with the already downloaded annoying update on my computer, ready to be installed). I went to my Windows Software Distribution folder, but there are a lot of files there. Which one do I delete or can I really delete all of the contents?

Thanks for anyone's help. This has been a nightmare!!!

martes, 06 de marzo de 2007 22:58
  • I have a client with the disaster version of this problem.

the log file seems to indicate a completed install, but his laptop hard drive was left with a substantial number of folders in subdirectories under the access denied install directory and the original folders in his tree missing a significant number of files. A really big woops as the majority of the missing files from My Documents only existed on this laptop which he was using while traveling.

Any body else heard of this? SEE HIS INITIAL REPORT BELOW:

While away from home for a couple weeks last month, I was working on my Toshiba laptop. I now have an immediate/urgent need to access current versions of work certain files/folders on the laptop, but I can not do so.

When I looked for the folders/files tonight, I could not find them for quite a while. I was eventually able to find the main work folder on my hard drive, but it was in a different location on the drive from where it was supposed to be - not in My Documents, but inside a folder in the C drive folder with a long number for its name.

When I opened the main folder, I could not open most of its sub-folders, and I could not open any files. I am able to open other files on the laptop. I did a 'properties check' for the main folder and saw that in the "Attributes" area, it was marked "Read only". When I tried to change this attribute, I was not able to do so.

I found a 285kb text file [created by Notepad] in the 'numbered folder containing my main work folder which had been missing. I've attached it for your reference along with an MS Word file which I'd created last year. I can open the text file but not the Word file. After attaching the 2 files, I tried to send this message and got a message saying that one of the files could not be found & therefore couldn't be attached to this message. I don't know which of the 2 files that is, but I am going to send this e-mail anyway.

viernes, 09 de marzo de 2007 20:43
  • Hi Penny,

As I concluded and has been echoed now by more than a few in this thread.  For the solution to this problem you merely need to remove the update via Add/Remove and then go back to Microsoft Updates/Windows Updates and reinstall the patch.

The suggestion to remove or rename the Software Distribution folder was an extra step that turns out ot be unnecessary for this situation. The specifics of doing that are written in detail at the KB article I had noted.  Removing the Software Distribution folder (all of it) is fine.  The contents of it are the left-overs of previous patches.  The purpose of keeping this folder's contents is in the event that you wish to use the Add/Remove tool to remove a patch as in the first step of this solution.  Once that folder is deleted the system automatically recreates it.  Though now empty it will be filled as you update your system.  Hope that answers your question.

jueves, 15 de marzo de 2007 21:27
  • I was enduring the same symotoms...Update kept prompting to update this file, I would, Install successful, but prompted again repeatedly. (Using Windows Vista)

Fix:

(Vista)

Go to Control Panel

Programs and Features (XP - Add/Remove rograms)

Locate the update - It is on the installed Programs list

Uninstall it

Re-Boot

When prompted by the Microsoft Update feature, re-install the update.

(If you do not have MS Update set to automatically update...run the update manually)

I have received no more promptings!

This corrected it for me :-)

Actually, a pretty simple fix, wouldn't you agree :-)

domingo, 18 de marzo de 2007 17:13
  •  

Mr. Robinson,

Did you ever receive any response to your problem.  I've been encountering the same for some time, and you did a good job of discribing the issue, but many of us are still trying to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Nelson Poe

NP@pure-airsystems.com

miércoles, 21 de marzo de 2007 14:56
  • Did You Find A solution 'cuz I'm installing this thing all day???
    viernes, 23 de marzo de 2007 0:21
  • Thanks Karen G. for the solution. (uninstalled MSXML 4.0, re-installed via microsoft.com)

This horrible patch install, install, install, install...has been annoying me for the past week...So according to this thread, this problem has been going on at least since early January & STILL MS has done nothing to fix it!! They make us wade through forums in hopes of stumbling upon the answer via trial & error, instead fixing this problem or at least posting a REAL solution on their "official" web page for this patch...Was contemplating upgrade to vistas, but Linux is looking better & better everyday.
    martes, 27 de marzo de 2007 21:50
  • Nelson,

Yes, I did find a fix.

Firstly, you can stop the repeated attempts to install. If your preferences (Set via Control Panel) are set so that updates are automatically downloaded but aren't installed automatically (not recommended by MS, but most definitely recommended by me!), you will be prompted every time it thinks it wants to install it. When it does prompt you, enter the dialogue box and select Custom Install, which gives you the option to un-check it. When you click OK it will then ask you if you want to be reminded again about the unchecked update. If you say no, at least the repeated attempts to install go away. But the problem isn't really fixed, because the update hasn't been installed, and it should be.

The letter I sent to MS eventually (after a few failures - their support people were up to their necks with Vista and other new releases) got them to contact me and provide free support. The solution was essentially to uninstall the patch and manually download and install it. I didn't post the procedure because I was acting under the guidance of the support guy, and didn't think to write down exactly what I did. In any case I don't know if the solution that worked for me will work for everybody else.

So my advice is that you give MS a hard time - via snail mail! - until they help you out. And make sure it's for free. They did it for me. If everybody did that maybe MS would be pressured into being more useful in the first place. I don't know whether the fact that I'm in the UK makes a difference to the effectiveness of my approach or not.

Regards, Alan Robinson.

miércoles, 28 de marzo de 2007 10:28
  • I am getting this continuous installation of MSXML 4 SP2. It is causing more serious errors than just trying to reinstall itself.

My work has a policy of 'download and automatically install windows updates'. My work PC downloads this update, attempts to install and then gives a svchost.exe error and my computer becomes totally unresponsive and has to be restarted by the power button!!

I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it manually but still doesn't work, what can I do?

lunes, 02 de abril de 2007 11:39
  • Phil,

This issue should be brought to the person responsible for the computer systems for your company.  Please email them a link into this forum where they can see this is a legitimate well known problem.  Also you are doing the lion's share of the work by identifying the problem, its root cause, and the fix.  While you can see repeated over and over that removing the patch and then reinstalling from a new download will fix the problem, this requires that the new download actually be what is installed.  If your business is using Windows Software Update Services, SMS or a third party patch management system (like Shavlik) those systems may be pushing out the same bad patch bytes before you get the chance to do an installation yourself with the correct version.

Regards and good luck

martes, 03 de abril de 2007 0:05
  • Thank You Karen G.

Your instruections are simple and concise.  The procedure took about a minute or two plus reboot time but the update is re-installed and further automatic updates have stopped.

I am not sure whether to remove the 21 text file folders?  (that were created each time an automatic update happened for KB927978)

Pete D

viernes, 06 de abril de 2007 13:09
  • As of today, April 10'th, KB927978 is being re-released and supersedes KB935672 as observed in my WSUS console.  Hopefully this means the end to this chronic painful problem.  The online articles haven't yet been revised as their dates are a month old.   Cross your fingers folks Smile
    miércoles, 11 de abril de 2007 3:02
  • IT Support have fixed my problem and it's working fine again! Smile
    martes, 17 de abril de 2007 15:54
  • Hi Phil,

I have the *exact* same problem with svchosts.  My system is essentially useless once I install this update.  I have done this several times, and I know it is specifically because of the MSXML update.

Can you ask your IT department what they did to fix your problem?  I would really appreciate it, as I am running out of options.  I have removed and installed the patch, MSXML SP2, etc. 

I am sure that we are not the only two having this problem, and others would like to know the answer as well.

Thanks!
    viernes, 20 de abril de 2007 8:51
  • Would you share your fix for this problem with me.  My email address is (otlanof@aol.com)  Thanks, Frank :-)
    lunes, 14 de mayo de 2007 13:36
  • I can not continue to insatll my special software. Because I have a display as "cannot find Msxml4 sp2 setup files". I can not know how to solve it. So try to download one to check if it is ok or not.

viernes, 02 de mayo de 2008 8:30