none
The Partner Website Is Terrible!

Debate general

• I would just like to say that I find the Partner website to be the most infuriating thing immaginable.  From text that makes no sense, to the links that always open in new windows, to the constant "We're sorry, a problem has occured" errors, the entire thing just plain sucks from start to finish.  There are way too many flaws to even list in an coherent post.  I strongly recommend that Microsoft nuke the existing site and start fresh.

\endrant

miércoles, 18 de junio de 2008 18:28

Todas las respuestas

•  

Matt,

I was involved in the design and support of the new Microsoft Partner web site before leaving Microsoft. The internal view is that the web site is solid and that Partners really enjoy the new web UI when compared to what was there before (this is going 2-3 years back, when there was next to no positive feedback for the Partner site).

If you could give me some specific pointers on the site, I could pipe the information through to the Partner IT team, as I know they don't typically browse the MSDN forums. 

• Are there specific task(s) that you found frusterating?
    • Can you give us steps to repro the errors that you are observing?
    • Is there any text on the Partner web site that we could clarify to make it a better asset for you and your company?

The nuke the existing site and start fresh strategy was already undertaken and delivered upon 2 years ago. If you were project manager of the next nuke and refresh, what specifically would you change?

Anthony Mallgren

Novorum Consulting Inc

miércoles, 18 de junio de 2008 20:36
  • I've done some more digging around in the Partner site, and have experienced similar errors. I'm looking into if there are any known issues, or further information they can release to the public.

Anthony Mallgren

Novorum Consulting Inc

viernes, 20 de junio de 2008 5:17
  • The Partner IT team is indeed aware of performance issues and the errors that customers are experiencing. I know the news isn't that great, but they are scheduled to release a build in September which has fixes scoped for some of these issues.

I'm trying to get more information and checking if there is anything we can do as partners to help resolve the issues. My suggestion is to remain patient and provide any assistance where we can. I think we all know that creating and maintaining an extremely complex application can pose difficulties from time to time.

Anthony Mallgren

Novorum Consulting Inc

viernes, 27 de junio de 2008 16:24
  •  

I am dealing with the Partner Web Site for a year and a half now and do agree that it is dreadful (meaning I dread every time I have to use it). 

Apart from technical problems like the ones mentioned: you navigate in circles to eventually end up on an error page or you have to try for a few weeks to actually successfully complete a MS Action Pack order. Without being able to give you cocnrete examples in retrospective I'd like to confirm that I got problems of that kind with almost every visit.

However, my main beef is that it is utterly confusing from a usability point of view. It is such a complex system to understand all the different maintenance options for partner registration, assessments, re-doing assessments etc. all poping up in new browser pages. I hardly know what all the things mean on the partner website let alone being able to easily use them - really frustrating in particular because it is not my job to spend hours or days learning your system.

A concrete example was the re-ordring of our action pack subscription for which I was told I had to do an assessment. But even to understand whether I had two or one assessments to do was impossible to understand for certain. To understand how my assessments relate to the company's registration which was done under another account almost impossible. To understand how to re-do an assessment similar. It wasn't clear if my assessment results were updated immediately or would it take a day or so until they are reflected?

I eventually got somebody from Microsoft on the phone who over an hour or so took me through all the relevant steps in sorting out accounts and assessments etc. and true, when following the instructions everything worked really well. But have you actually ever tested these websites (still don't know if this is one system or multiple related ones) with users who just occasionally need to add a certification or a new associate etc.

For me a complete nightmare and thoroughly frustrating.

jueves, 07 de agosto de 2008 15:38
  • I definitely with you that it is an overly complex system for those who would like to get in and out as fast as possible. I know one of the challenges about making a concise web site is that you obscure a lot of the information of the major users of the system, the ones who put days of time researching how they can fully utilize their relationship with Microsoft, and the people with the most influence one the direction of the tool, as they work alongside Microsoft to provide feedback (but again, this takes an additional time invest). It is basically an information discovery concept... when you sort through all the data to find your answer, you find all the information pertinent to your answer as well (very helpful if you’re looking to really take advantage of their partnership with Microsoft, which is what they were aiming for).

Another challenge is that these are indeed disparate systems. There are several sub-challenges, if you will, as some of the application were shadow applications that received enough budget to be brought in house after the concept was proven (just the nature of business).

Yes, I'm a user of the system. Novorum Consulting is a Microsoft Partner, so I have dug through the system looking for the same information as well. I know it can be a bit frustrating when you are unable to easily locate the information, or even worse, if it is not on the web site at all.

I will voice your feedback to someone who has contact with the UX Engineer for the Partner website. Maybe they can start looking into an expedited control panel for users who just like to get in and get out of the tool.

jueves, 07 de agosto de 2008 16:12
  • It doesn't help that all of the testing requirements are years old. Heck, some of the Parter Program req's reference test that you can't even take anymore. The ref's to NET 1.0 test is a bit of a joke if you ask me.

I thought that us partners would be important enough to deserve a site with somewhat current information.

Do get me started about navigating the site, it is a complete mess. I couldnt get away with producing a cluster like that!

miércoles, 27 de agosto de 2008 22:40
  • I agree with you all! I think my main problem is that it is hard to find a lot of things or you have to follow a dozen links to get what you want. Sometimes I'm sure a resource exist because I've stumbled across it before but can never find it. I don't have any specific examples to mind but yes please, a redesign would be greatly appreciated! Smile

miércoles, 08 de octubre de 2008 13:41
  • I agree, very poor website.

martes, 14 de octubre de 2008 9:10
  • I also agree that the partner site is terrible

lunes, 24 de noviembre de 2008 19:03
  • I agree with all the negative sentiment towards the partner site shown in this thread.

The Microsoft Partner website is without a doubt the least user friendly and overall worst website I have ever had the misfortune to use.

Specific reasons for this:

1) Lots of confusing data capture/entry opportunities for no apparent reason. My business is a single location, 6 employee company. Why on Earth would I need to enter multiple locations, associated locations, my entire organisational tree etc. when all I actually want to do with the site, once a year, is to renew my MAPS!

2) The site is bloaty and slow. It's massively frustrating that every time I click on a link, it takes at least 15 seconds for the next page to finish loading. 9/10 times I find out it's not the page I want - I only got there due to vague and confusing link text. I then have to wait another 15 seconds to get back to where I started.

3) As I've already said above, trial and error is the only way to find what you want on this site - there's nothing intuitive about the navigation. Specifically, when I logged into the site today, having re-enrolled (I have no idea why I had to do this or what it meant) on my homepage I have a tab with "Benefits" listed on it. I have software licensing benefits - MAPS. There's no mention of how to do what I want here which is to renew! I also have "Business Critical Phone Support" - what I need this for I don't know. What does it support me to do? Microsoft Empower for ISVs - what's an ISV? There's no explanation on the page so I'd have to click one of the dreadfully slow links to find out.

4) Navigation links that don't do anything - at least half of the navigation menu leads to a page saying "Gold and certified members only" - why bother showing me the links in the first place? I don't know what they actually do so you're not upselling your services!

There are lots of others but I don't have time to elaborate further.

I think fundamentally the site is not clearly targeted at any one type or size of business and as a result it's a compromise for all. I'm sure designing something suitable wouldn't be easy, but Microsoft are the biggest software firm on the planet - producing a website this bad is not only a total embarassment to the company but is a missed opportunity and a massive inconvenience to partners like us (web developers) who aid your market penetration by developing software on your platform

Sort it out for pity's sake.
    viernes, 05 de diciembre de 2008 18:50
  • I concur 100% with all the comments. 

Mr_Shifty explained very well some of the problems; all of which I experience.

I dread going near the site and even more I I dread the day that I have to show someone else in the firm how to use it.

It needs a complete redesign from the ground-up and you need to start with structuring the main interface content around the needs of the different target audience: 

A) registered, certified and gold partners
    B) startups, small firms, medium-sized firms, large firms
    C) technology type (eg. ISV, Reseller, OEM or whatever technology band you 'fit')

I would also open up a suggestions box for all partners to contribute ideas, since we would all benefit enormously by an efficient, fast, intuitive and easy-to-use partner portal.

Thanks for listening,
    Richard
    www.electricscribes.com
    jueves, 09 de julio de 2009 13:25
  • I also concur 100% with the comments.

I have just gone through the excruciating process of renewing MAPS. If it was not for the fact that we need to use MS products in our business I would have given up. The website is bloody awful - the fact that you have to use IE to access the pages is my first thorn - when will MS finally recognize not everyone WANTS to use their poorly designed and security ridden swiss cheese excuse of a browser?

Secondly, it used to be cool about 10 years ago to open every link in a new window, it isn't now, nor is it neither fun nor intuitive to continually be sent on a circular route get anywhere / do anything on the site.

If it was my company and my money, I would have frankly stopped using MS products.

One irate customer,

Jim
    viernes, 24 de julio de 2009 10:17
  •  

I feel bad for adding to this thread, as I have had the opportunity to deal with several of the folks on the US ISV team recently and there were supremely helpful.  However, the site is, frankly, abysmal.

For me it's not about performance, but simply navigating for information, and as mentioned before, the occasional broken link.

All of this was greatly exacerbated recently when I realized that the US ISV team has their own website which is basically a silly duplicate of all the information on the Partner site (thus leading my business partner and I to stare in wonder, awe, and utter confusion as we tried to figure out what was going on).

Part of the reason the site is so difficult to deal with is because the program itself is so complicated.  Becoming a partner isn't nearly as simple as it should be; the buckets for points each have caps, and none of it is described in a way that makes life easy. 

When asking questions recently about the new Front Runner program for Windows 7, it was terribly obvious that things simply weren't as connected and simple as they should be (and, oh yeah, the partner website wasn't even up-to-date with information about Win7 and 2008R2 software tests); moreover, even the Front Runner site didn't have convenient, easy-to-read information about the related software tests on the public part of the site.

I really hope the folks running the ISV and partner programs will consider doing some informal user studies and see just how difficult partnering with Microsoft really is.  Sure, the friendly phone calls are great, but we're tech folks... give us a usable website and we'll take care of ourselves; it costs less and will generate more partners!

PS - I hope the Microsofties realize this is a thread borne out of love for MSFT, hoping you'll improve things for your good as much as ours...

miércoles, 05 de agosto de 2009 15:50
  • As a web developer myself I know how tricky it is to get a site right - and this is a fairly large site, which probably serves some intelligent (and possibly from time to time crabby?) software developers ... but just to add my own two cents: The site is not at all cross browser compatible with WebKit based browsers (such as FireFox, Safari and others) - many pages are simply unreadable in other browsers. I understand that Microsoft partners should use IE; but I would think that pages should at least be readable (if not functional) in other browsers. I develop for other platforms too, and find myself needing to open the partner site in other browsers from time to time to check licensing benefits, and realise that the page is just not readable because I'm not using IE. I think this makes sense since according to one of the earlier posts the site was designed a couple of years ago, probably when IE was still by far the largest browser by market share? The picture is a little different today though! Kudos for MS for even having a partner programme - I'm a fan, just thought I'd make the point that it would be nice to be able to just read the site in FireFox.
    Here is an examples of an unreadable page: https://partner.microsoft.com/40029254
    Thanks for the hard work Microsoft!

I feel bad for adding to this thread, as I have had the opportunity to deal with several of the folks on the US ISV team recently and there were supremely helpful.  However, the site is, frankly, abysmal.

For me it's not about performance, but simply navigating for information, and as mentioned before, the occasional broken link.

All of this was greatly exacerbated recently when I realized that the US ISV team has their own website which is basically a silly duplicate of all the information on the Partner site (thus leading my business partner and I to stare in wonder, awe, and utter confusion as we tried to figure out what was going on).

Part of the reason the site is so difficult to deal with is because the program itself is so complicated.  Becoming a partner isn't nearly as simple as it should be; the buckets for points each have caps, and none of it is described in a way that makes life easy. 

When asking questions recently about the new Front Runner program for Windows 7, it was terribly obvious that things simply weren't as connected and simple as they should be (and, oh yeah, the partner website wasn't even up-to-date with information about Win7 and 2008R2 software tests); moreover, even the Front Runner site didn't have convenient, easy-to-read information about the related software tests on the public part of the site.

I really hope the folks running the ISV and partner programs will consider doing some informal user studies and see just how difficult partnering with Microsoft really is.  Sure, the friendly phone calls are great, but we're tech folks... give us a usable website and we'll take care of ourselves; it costs less and will generate more partners!

PS - I hope the Microsofties realize this is a thread borne out of love for MSFT, hoping you'll improve things for your good as much as ours...

martes, 22 de septiembre de 2009 10:38
  • I've used the site today.

That page quoted above is still unreadable - and so are several others.

https://partner.microsoft.com/40029254

I am currently trying to get our company into Gold partner status and it is a nightmare.

We got an application tested on the ISV platform tests and it passed giving us 50 points.  

We got another on tested and got 20 points. I thought this would take us over the points we needed for Gold (we needed another 8 points).  It didn't - only the highest product points count.  Another waste of cash.

So then we got both products Tested for Works with Windows 2008 R2  - so that gave us another 100 points.  Guess what they don't count to Gold status.  This is getting ridiculous.

So now we're going for Customer refs.  

This is not very encouraging.

The new site is nearly as bad as the old one.  

viernes, 13 de noviembre de 2009 15:18
  • Partner Portal is such a pain, I had to change the hierarchy of the organization having 6 locations and it took me 3 hrs :) There are so many issues with this website (apart from being very lazy) that even we cant suggest what to do with it. Scrap it is say :)
    viernes, 12 de febrero de 2010 3:00
  • I would just like to say that I find the Partner website to be the most infuriating thing immaginable.  From text that makes no sense, to the links that always open avi in new windows, to the constant "We're sorry, a problem has occured" errors, the entire thing just plain sucks from start to finish.  There are way too many flaws to even list in an coherent post.  I strongly recommend that Microsoft nuke the existing site and start fresh.

\endrant

Oh, it seems to me there are a lot complaints about that. Hope Microsoft will get that improved.
    martes, 13 de julio de 2010 10:04
  • Re. Microsoft Partner Website; I was suggesting once to have a special Desktop UI that syc. with the MPN such that each of the partner\s staff can have only what is needed and used.

It is not like my page or anything but this is an offline / online tool that could be used and have lots of benefits such as:-

1- users can change the look and feel of the UI without having to look at the whole MPN

2- Works faster is it will sync only what is needed (see Nokia OVI if you know it)

3- Work on the move without having to Sync.

4- Integrate more issue to the UI such as Customer and their projects; so; the UI will have own data + MPN data

5- With an option to being able to move it to another PC, Backup, or Keep your licenses...

6- It will have a messaging part also where partners can see their dashboard and points all the time and see the status of their partnership without the hassle of browsing the whole MPN and MBS to get data

7- Have a portion where last pricing of selected products is updated...

And more

Would that be of any value to any one, or is it an old idea already

Hassan El-Meligy, Cairo
    viernes, 10 de septiembre de 2010 22:25
  • Re. Microsoft Partner Website; I was suggesting once to have a special Desktop UI that syc. with the MPN such that each of the partner\s staff can have only what is needed and used.

It is not like my page or anything but this is an offline / online tool that could be used and have lots of benefits such as:-

1- users can change the look and feel of the UI without having to look at the whole MPN

2- Works faster is it will sync only what is needed (see Nokia OVI if you know it)

3- Work on the move without having to Sync.

4- Integrate more issue to the UI such as Customer and their projects; so; the UI will have own data + MPN data

5- With an option to being able to move it to another PC, Backup, or Keep your licenses...

6- It will have a messaging part also where partners can see their dashboard and points all the time and see the status of their partnership without the hassle of browsing the whole MPN and MBS to get data

7- Have a portion where last pricing of selected products is updated...

And more

Would that be of any value to any one, or is it an old idea already

Hassan El-Meligy, Cairo

I would like to add; although browsing the web and cloud computing seems the fashion, but due to the low cost of hard drivers and memory things will go back to the user PC once more by having a shadow of all what they are doing on their PCs
    Hassan El-Meligy, Cairo
    viernes, 10 de septiembre de 2010 22:27
  • 100% Agree.

This sight is so frustrating and time consuming, it makes you seriously consider changing platforms, just so you don't have to deal with it any more.

Worst part is explaining to coworkers and bosses why its taking so dang long to get this done!

How do we get MS Corporate eyes on this?  I'm embarrassed for MS!

domingo, 24 de abril de 2011 5:23
  • I've found the Partner Site infuriating for many of the points already mentioned here (both before and after the upgrade).

I am a very small company (4 staff) and the only developer on it.  Specific issues (again already mentioned) include:

• Renewing MAPS took weeks
    • Must have gone around the MAPS reorder at least 10 times.  Was told to try again in a few days time but still took longer to resolve.
    • I get lost in the site and cannot work out how to navigate to where I want to go
    • The site seems to be a mash up on lots of other portals.
    • I still don't understand how the relationship between my Partner annual renewal and MAPS annual subscription should be on different months of the year.
    • Of course, non-IE browsers are likely not to work and even IE9 wouldn't work when I was using it last month!!!!!!  Had to use a VM with IE7 or IE8 installed to access the site!!!
    • The huge garish white-yellowey-green background does not help, especially as it causes a "colour flash" with every page refresh as we wait for the main page area to reload.

It is a shame that site run by such a reputable company as Microsoft cannot get this right.  Our own developement team (of 4) could have designed the site MUCH better in our opinon.

Best of luck resolviong some of these issues.  We will love you for it!

martes, 19 de julio de 2011 23:19
  • We have been a Microsoft Partner for 2 years and unfortinately, the partner website is like the US government. Bloated, impossible to navigate and find things. We had a full time guy just to manage the program - total waste of money. We were spending more time trying to figure out where information was, then selling. In the past year we have migrated to cloud services developing software on Amazon Web services and Google.

We would love to develop products based on MS cloud services, but we get no help from the partner program. One of my friends whoose company was a Gold partner, decided not to renew his Gold certification. Unfortunate indeed, since we are a strong believer in MS products. But our business experience working in the program has been a nightmare.

My only suggestion for the program managers is to cut the size of the program and make it simple. get rid of those people that do nothing but write article after article and fill the partner website with garbage information that it has become a horrible website.

Help us your partners to sell more Microsoft products.

miércoles, 09 de noviembre de 2011 18:03
  • Agree with nearly everything on this thread, and that the complaints are borne out of a positive viewpoint to improve, ie "constructive criticism".

The new partner portal is slightly better, but it is still overly complicated and I believe that part of the problem is that the actual Partner Programme itself is overly complicated.

"Keep it Simple" got lost a long way back.

If I had the power, I would setup an entirely new team, that knows absolutely nothing about the Partner Programme and redesigns the Programme from scratch and then builds a new system and website on top. The number one goal, which would be at the top of the agenda for every meeting would be "Keep it Simple" and read like a mantra at the start of every day. I would make it the locked down screensaver on every portal-developers workstations and make everyone wear caps that said "Partner Portal: Simples". :)

After 3 years I have given up using it and have no desire to get beyond basic level anymore, it's just too complicated/hassle/expensive for a small company like mine. It's more important to focus on my customers than my partnership status.

miércoles, 16 de noviembre de 2011 19:36
  • Looks like I am not alone in thinking that this portal is seriously lacking, especially in light of the fact that it is from Microsoft. 

Also looks as though nothing has been done about this in the past 3 years.  I just used the portal today, and it seems as bad or worse than it has ever been.

Of course, since Microsoft largely has the market cornered, I doubt that they care to address the problem, as it is not really a problem to them.

I wonder, given this, how many partners are going to be pointing their clients to other cloud solutions, such as Google Apps?

domingo, 01 de enero de 2012 15:51
  • This thread was written 2008, now we reached the year 2012 and the partner site is still a total "pain in the ass expierence". Kinda sad story, Microsoft..
    jueves, 12 de abril de 2012 22:50
  • This thread was written 2008, now we reached the year 2012 and the partner site is still a total "pain in the ass expierence". Kinda sad story, Microsoft..

July 2012 - the Partners website has been terrible since I first came across it - there appears to be 2 different websites now by the look of them, but I can't fathom what each of them is for - it really is TERRIBLE... The fact that people working on it aren't aware means they must not have to use it...

It doesn't do MS any favours whatsoever and as for 'encouraging' businesses to use their software, it does the complete opposite.

I'm trying to be helpful, but it is so bad I don't even know where to start - multiple logins, logouts, logins, 500 errors, browser issues (in IE!) drop down menus which appear, then dissappear, new windows opening, clicking on links which say things like 'Enrol' then take you directly to the partner homepage with no clue as to how you ended up back there, inadequate explanation of that all of the things are, like Action Pack / Partner Program / Cloud Essentials..

Then you get to find out where to order what you want - and the check out process hangs:"An error has occurred. Please refresh the
    browser or sign out and try again. If the problem persists, refer to the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page"

Please MS - could you produce a new website, don't care what you use to do it, just architect it properly please...

martes, 17 de julio de 2012 10:31
  • I can honestly say in several years every experience with the MS Partner site(s) has been abysmal.  It is surprising that a well funded tech company like Microsoft, that portrays itself as web savvy and wants partners to develop with its technologies could operate a "development support" site this bad!  Today I needed to renew my Action Pack Subscription.  It could not be done without calling someone.  Here's the fun I went through today just to try to give Microsoft $450 and renew my Action Pack.

(1) "The page was designed for Internet Explorer ... please try again with an approved version of IE ...."  I am using IE 9 that was shipped with my computer!

(2) "Internet Explorer cannot display the page..." (several times and nothing wrong with my internet connection)

(3) "Your account has not been accessed for over 18 months and has been deactivated"  It clearly was not deactivated as eventually I managed to log in, and I had accessed it a number of times in the last 18 months.

(4) "An error has occurred. Please refresh the browser or sign out and try again. If the problem persists, refer to the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page" (several times!!!!)

(5) My Action Pack renewal was "stuck" trying to make me take the assessment which it reported as "already in progress" which I just took this time last year (supposed to be every 24 months, not 12).  I could not even click on a link to re-assess since it thought it was "in progress", customer service had to have someone in the back office manually fix it.

(6) 12 hours later I still have not gotten an emailed receipt of my renewal, further I wanted to download the latest VS 2010.  It looks like MSDN site has not been updated yet as it is telling me my subscription is expired, meaning I probably need to make another phone call tomorrow to get the software I just paid for.

(7) The navigation is confusing, links do not take you to where they say they will, and inexplicably there are 4 different sites for a partner with a subscription: partners.microsoft.com, mspartner.microsoft.com, msdn.microsoft.com (where you get your VS), and there is the green and yellow legacy site that half the links take you there and it says something to the effect "there is a new site, you will be forwarded automatically in 10 seconds ..." which never happens, and when you click on the link to forward to the new site, you go to the main page, not the page you were originally intending to go to.  Why have links even go to this legacy site????

(8) I was asked to log in at least half a dozen times when 1 login should have been enough.  

So 4 years later, nothing changed!  It makes you wonder if anyone actually uses this site. 

• Editado Lee Cascio viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 1:47 spelling
    viernes, 20 de julio de 2012 1:47
  • I have just visited the new Microsoft Partner Network portal (mspartner.microsoft.com), and I am blown away.  I didn't know anything had changed, but it was time for me to make my annual pilgrimage so I could renew our membership.  Microsoft has clearly listened, and finding basic information is suddenly ... basic!  I haven't dug too deeply, but I can immediately see that serious effort was placed on making this a usable site.

[ It appears the "Partner Membership Center" (partners.microsoft.com) hasn't changed yet, unfortunately, but I'll take what I can get. ]

I hope others will join me in saying "Thanks Microsoft!  This has been long-awaited!"

martes, 23 de octubre de 2012 21:30
  • 2013 and it is still just a horrible experience. I am trying to sign in and manage my company and maybe buy an action pack subscription, however, I am running in circles. When I try to order the action pack, I'm prompted to enroll my company, so I fill out the form. I then get the error that the company I am trying to enroll is already enrolled (it is a one man company, so only me) and if I want to associate myself with it.

Good, then associate me with my own company! 

However, the association email never arrives and therefore nothing changes. I keep getting prompted to enroll the company, followed by the message that this company is already enrolled and whether I wish to associate myself with it.

Circles!

I have to say this is a huge mess. I have never experienced a sign-up process anywhere that was so impractical and so far a way from straight-forward. I seem to be bouncing around various MSN login, redirection pages and portals (IE only of course) sometimes even redirecting me to the MSN start page (what the..?).

As a developer who is trying to launch a start up it makes me doubt that Windows Azure, and Microsoft as a whole are the way to go as a technology and as a provider. Not even their own developers seem to be able to implement a portal with their technology stack that works and is compatible with standard browsers.

This is not the first problem I encounter. When I first enrolled, I couldn't even get my account verified, because no verification e-mail would arrive (other e-mails from other people and companies did of course). That is the most basic process in web account management that I could imagine.

Do they realize how utterly daunting this is for young developers and start ups to use their technology stack? They can revamp their portals to more simple 2 dimensional designs all they want, but if the processes behind it are awkward and more importantly just not working, then nothing is gained.

Well, at least I am not the only one who is frustrated!

• Editado SPlex jueves, 03 de enero de 2013 12:23
    jueves, 03 de enero de 2013 12:21
  • It is incredible that 5 years on, the Partner web site is still such a disaster. Everyone I know dreads having to open it even if just to find a basic bit of information. It's pretty obvious either no one at MSFT uses it or those that do don't feel empowered to do anything about it. 

That said, I have found one use for it - as a case study in how NOT to build a web site. It's also a great example of MSFT's determination to make the user experience as appalling as possible. And if nothing else its disorganization is consistent with the folks who work in the Partner program. One simple task recently required numerous emails and phone calls over a 2 MONTH period and every message I got conflicted with the previous one: one message would say "this is all done" and then I'd get a call asking for more information.. MSFT ended up spending much more servicing this task than they could ever hope to benefit from it. Probably one reason why they are doing so poorly as a company.

So the problem doesn't really lie with the website; the web site reflects the lack of management control and direction that plagues the whole program. Honestly, outsource the program to Google and you'll probably see an instant 25% increase in revenue.
    • Editado webbrewer domingo, 17 de febrero de 2013 1:58
    domingo, 17 de febrero de 2013 1:39
  • I couldnt agree more. As a MS Partner I take an hour of my time on schedule whenever I need software or partner key from the site. Its the most horrible slow not-working site from a big company, ive ever seen.

This isnt a hickup either, this has been going on for years now. And they dont care because we are dependant after all.

martes, 02 de abril de 2013 9:25
  • Microsoft Partner Network sucks.. full of errors and chaos

pinpoin microsoft small business specialist scam

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/b8003d92-2afa-41c7-a8fe-6e4e1ad7fc25

miércoles, 01 de mayo de 2013 4:48
  • July 30,  2013

The web site is still badly broken.

The partnership web site was unable to take my credit card.  Customer support referred me to the finance department to provide the card verbally which I did.   The payment was confirmed by finance - but now the finance department has no direct way to confirm the payment to the order!!!!

It has been 2 weeks...

Amazing!!!!!!

Frustrated in Houston

martes, 30 de julio de 2013 21:06
  • Signing in in agreement with the negative posts on here about the partner site. Totally unusable, broken links, pages timing out, utterly confusing etc etc.

All I want to do is renew my MAPS, I tried 18 months ago but in the end just gave up. Back again and still nothing's any better, awful site and awful user experience.

viernes, 20 de septiembre de 2013 11:55
  • Signing in in agreement with the negative posts on here about the partner site. Totally unusable, broken links, pages timing out, utterly confusing etc etc.

All I want to do is renew my MAPS, I tried 18 months ago but in the end just gave up. Back again and still nothing's any better, awful site and awful user experience.

It's november and it still sucks... error here.;...error there... oh look error... wow.... more internal errors.... oh look I cannot even get my Keys... brilliant.

Microsoft... You Suck!!!!

sábado, 09 de noviembre de 2013 14:01
  • Seriously, this is SUCH a terrible site. I dread logging into it... or trying to.... site is so dreadful slow and has a terrible user experience.
    viernes, 15 de noviembre de 2013 9:13
  • Dead links, pages that never render, endless new popups.

A random journey through disconnected Microsoft web pages.

It's the same each year. I end up on the phone for one or two hours with a representative in Germany, who patiently takes me through the process, usually providing alternative links because the advertised links fail.

It is unquestionably the worse UI experience I have ever had.

lunes, 18 de noviembre de 2013 15:32
  • I face this problem now in 2013?  I signed and paid up for Beginner Action Pack, MS replied by phone that I m short of some info to process the acceptance.  I open MS Partner Networks,  after the login, the prompt indicated error.  - IE cannot open MS Partner Centre.  etc.  ...   Found this site after Search.

SKY

martes, 03 de diciembre de 2013 13:33
  • I agree that just trying to renew my MAPS is so mind boggling difficult. I tried for the last hour and couldn't get IE 11 to work. I used Chrome and was told I needed to use IE. IE keeps refreshing and never gets further and tried compatibility settings, no go. When I finally got somewhere, it tells me that I have to complete a simple assessment. Okay, fine no problem but when you click the link it brings you to a learning site and tells you that nothing is required or recommended. I can't get past the renewal site to continue. I was trying to get a head start on the MAPS renewal because I know every year it is such a pain. I can't believe it hasn't gotten better.

So does ANYONE know how to renew MAPS quickly and what assessment is even needed?

Ugh.....

Rick Faria / RDF Technical Services, LLC / SBSC

miércoles, 04 de diciembre de 2013 5:51
  • The partner site is "Healthcare.Gov-ish".  I would like to add something more constructive than a rant, but it's been five years now.  Lots of the information is out of date, and I frequently have to use Firefox to access it because *several* versions of IE just don't work on it.  So I guess that means you listened to some of the cross browser commentary over the years... I guess.

I only bothered to comment because some of the MS competitors are coming on strong.  Not to be all "Winter is Coming" about things, but Google is aggressively hiring nationwide, contacting people on LinkedIn, etc.  This site needs to work, it needs to work well, and the Partner team needs to get its house in order!

sábado, 21 de diciembre de 2013 17:14
  • I can't enroll in the network

https://mspartner.microsoft.com/en/us/pages/membership/enroll.aspx

Same error every time: An error has occurred. Please refresh the browser or sign out and try again. If the problem persists, refer to the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Any help?

lunes, 27 de enero de 2014 11:03
  • tio_bill7

I was having the same issue when I was attempting to associate from the link on the MCP site, managed to do it via the following URL though:

https://partners.microsoft.com/partnerprogram/Welcome.aspx

There is an associate with an organisation link, completed the form and now just waiting for the confirmation email to come through. 

James.

lunes, 10 de marzo de 2014 8:32
  • I can't enroll in the network either, same problem. I have already been added to our organisation by the administrator, and now I try to enroll. After finding the organisation I try to enlist, but sistematically get the same error, saying the system is not available due to 'high demand'. Please help!

viernes, 25 de abril de 2014 8:36
  • It's been six years since the comment that started this thread and the site is, if possible, even more horrible than ever.

I mean, it's always been bad. It's always been confusing and slow. But I was just trying to renew my partnership a couple of days ago and now I'm getting dead links and error pages. The UI is a mixture of at least three different styles giving you different (or is the same?) information. It's really pretty pathetic.

At one point, after passing an assessment for the third time that day before the site acknowledged it, I was able to renew my partner membership and the site started telling me that I was a brand-new partner (I've been a Microsoft Partner since 2003) and that I didn't have any MCPs in my organization (I do. Me) and it gave me the wrong partner ID.

I opened the site in Chrome and it told me that I've been a partner for a long time, that I had one MCP in my organization and gave me my proper ID.

I wound up talking to tech support and, from the sound of it, they had the same problems. It took forever for they guy to do or find anything and when I asked him "Okay, now how long does your system say that I've been a partner" he told me he couldn't access that information right now and he'd have to call me back tomorrow (which he hasn't now an hour after our scheduled time).

I just went onto the site again trying to renew my Action Pack and get the error page "No Product SKU's were found for the information you provided." I didn't provide any SKU's. I clicked on a link. Microsoft provided the SKUs.

That website is an insult to Microsoft Partners.

viernes, 16 de mayo de 2014 16:02
  • I've just spent the last two hours of my life navigating in circles of broken links.

This is absolutely infuriating to attempt to use.

martes, 22 de julio de 2014 15:51
  • I see this thread began in 2008.  As of today, August 17, 2014, most of the problem experience expressed above since then is still there today.  I stay off because of the frustration with poor organization, repeated re-signons, broken links, "Something is wrong ..." pages, etc.  I really enjoy the benefits of the program, but this site is not one of them.

If I get on, I use an old retired XP machine with IE8.  Some things work with Chrome under Win 7.  Don't see any improvement using it with Win 8.  I don't mention that to my customers.

MSRP

domingo, 17 de agosto de 2014 21:46
  • It is a disaster.I'm unsure even how to sign up to resell office 365. everything is broken. I can't even get to a place to find a decent phone number to call.
    lunes, 01 de septiembre de 2014 23:18