none
SyncToy 2.0 Error Message - Exception during preview: An internal error occured in the sync runtime

Pregunta

• I just started getting an error message in SyncToy with an existing folder pair that reads:
    "Exception during preview: An internal error occured in the sync runtime."

I am running SyncToy 2.0 (version 2.0.100.0) on Vista x64.

The folder pair is performing an Echo operation from an internal hdd to an external hdd.  Both hdds use the NTFS file system.  This folder pair has worked for about 2 months now without any problems.

Here is the log information from SyncToy:
    ==========================================================
    SYNC: 11/30/2008 19:02:11:653: Started scanning directory : F:\Users\Aakash\
    SYNC: 11/30/2008 19:02:11:653: Started scanning directory : I:\Users\Aakash\Files (No Email)\
    SYNC: 11/30/2008 19:02:29:921: Stopped scanning directory : F:\Users\Aakash\
    SYNC: 11/30/2008 19:02:31:590: Stopped scanning directory : I:\Users\Aakash\Files (No Email)\
    SYNC: 11/30/2008 19:02:32:058: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncRuntimeInternalErrorException: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.
     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004101D): The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 11/30/2008 19:02:32:058: *** Exception during preview: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.
    ==========================================================

How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks.
    lunes, 01 de diciembre de 2008 3:48

Todas las respuestas

• Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    jueves, 04 de diciembre de 2008 8:39
  • Hi Aakash - I am experiencing the same problem. Did you manage to fix the problem eventually? Do you think it can be related to the amount of characters in the path (to the server).

jueves, 11 de diciembre de 2008 6:30
  • Unfortunately I haven't been able to resolve this yet.  I use SyncToy as my backup software and I do rotating backups on a weekly basis.  So, I have two folder pair copies for each area that I backup.  In my situation, both of my folder pairs produce this same error.  I considered the folder length, but in the same folder where I am having this problem, I have a much longer file that is successfully being backed up.  I also considered that it was the .docx format (that's the file that kept getting stuck), but changing it to .doc didn't help.  So, I'm still at a loss.
    jueves, 11 de diciembre de 2008 6:35
  • Hi there, I have the same problem now with running Windows XP SP3 and all 12.2008 fixes. Any ideas?

Here ist my logfile output.

SYNC: 12/13/2008 19:10:47:671: Started scanning directory : D:\Dokumente\Eigene Dateien\
    SYNC: 12/13/2008 19:10:48:875: Started scanning directory : T:\PrivDataBackup-PCHOME-OK\Eigene Dateien\
    SYNC: 12/13/2008 19:11:38:750: Stopped scanning directory : D:\Dokumente\Eigene Dateien\
    SYNC: 12/13/2008 19:11:39:515: Stopped scanning directory : T:\PrivDataBackup-PCHOME-OK\Eigene Dateien\
    SYNC: 12/13/2008 19:11:40:609: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncRuntimeInternalErrorException: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.
     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004101D): The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.
       bei Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       bei Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
       bei Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       bei Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       bei Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       bei Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       bei SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       bei SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       bei SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       bei SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       bei SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 12/13/2008 19:11:40:609: *** Exception during preview: An internal error occurred in the sync runtime.

sábado, 13 de diciembre de 2008 18:20
  • I just got this error but managed to solve it.

I looked at the folder that SyncToy was comparing when the error appears. I went to that folder and found a PDF with a very long filename (can't see any dodgy characters but very long). I shortened the filename and re-ran the preview. Problem solved.

Not saying it will work for anyone else. Hope it does.

AJL
    domingo, 22 de febrero de 2009 14:10
  • I am sorry this thread went unaddressed this long.
    SyncToy (and the underlying FileSyncProvider component) both can sync files/folders with path length upto 260 characters.  Items with longer path can cause an itnernal error.

Another thing that may cause an internal error is when a file/folder is locked. This can happen when there's indexing going on on the source/destination or an antivirus program happens to lock with the file briefly, preventing access by SyncToy. This isn't usually harmful - the file should get sync'ed over next time without corruption.

Hope this helps,
    Sameer

martes, 24 de febrero de 2009 21:54
  • I know this thread is old, but in case somebody needs this help I'll post it...

I was having the same problem and all I had to do was create a new folder pair (same folders). It worked right away and I deleted the old pair.

viernes, 17 de febrero de 2012 1:24
  • Yup, same problem on window 7 with sync-toy.

It got resolved by just deleting and re-creating the folder pair config.

miércoles, 02 de mayo de 2012 0:53