HOW TO: Check printer spool

Pregunta

• Hi,

I want to create a program that could check if the selected printer has a spool, what I mean it can check if the selected printer is currently printing or not.  It can check also the status, documents and other printer details.  Anybody here can help me pls

Thanks...
    martes, 19 de agosto de 2008 2:16

Respuestas

• Hi Cyber,

Based on your post, my understanding of your question is that you need to monitor the printing queue and manipulate the printing jobs. In this scenario you can use Windows API to monitor a print queue and use WMI to control print jobs. I recommend that you read two articles about this kind of problem.

1. Monitoring a Printer Queue from VB.NET. This article shows how to monitor a printer queue from Visual Basic .NET.
    2. A simple approach for controlling print jobs using WMI. This article presents a simplified approach of controlling print jobs using WMI.

Or you can have a look at the PrintQueue class. Here is the code snippet about using this class.

Imports System.Printing

Imports System.Text

Imports System.IO

Public Class Form1

Dim localPrintServer2 As LocalPrintServer

Dim defaultPrintQueue2 As PrintQueue

Dim ht1 As Hashtable

Dim ht2 As Hashtable

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

localPrintServer2 = New LocalPrintServer()

defaultPrintQueue2 = LocalPrintServer.GetDefaultPrintQueue()

ht1 = New Hashtable

ht2 = New Hashtable

Timer1.Enabled = True

Timer1.Interval = 50

Dim jobs As PrintJobInfoCollection = defaultPrintQueue2.GetPrintJobInfoCollection

For Each job As PrintSystemJobInfo In jobs

ht2.Add(job.JobIdentifier, job.Name)

Next

End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick

Dim jobs As PrintJobInfoCollection = defaultPrintQueue2.GetPrintJobInfoCollection

If (Not ht2.Contains(job.JobIdentifier)) Then

If (Not ht1.Contains(job.JobIdentifier)) Then

ht1.Add(job.JobIdentifier, job.Name)

TextBox1.Text = TextBox1.Text & job.JobIdentifier.ToString & job.Name & vbNewLine

job.Pause()

End If

End If

Next

End Sub

End Class

Best regards,

Riquel

miércoles, 20 de agosto de 2008 8:13
    Moderador

Todas las respuestas

• Hi Cyber,

Based on your post, my understanding of your question is that you need to monitor the printing queue and manipulate the printing jobs. In this scenario you can use Windows API to monitor a print queue and use WMI to control print jobs. I recommend that you read two articles about this kind of problem.

1. Monitoring a Printer Queue from VB.NET. This article shows how to monitor a printer queue from Visual Basic .NET.
    2. A simple approach for controlling print jobs using WMI. This article presents a simplified approach of controlling print jobs using WMI.

Or you can have a look at the PrintQueue class. Here is the code snippet about using this class.

Imports System.Printing

Imports System.Text

Imports System.IO

Public Class Form1

Dim localPrintServer2 As LocalPrintServer

Dim defaultPrintQueue2 As PrintQueue

Dim ht1 As Hashtable

Dim ht2 As Hashtable

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

localPrintServer2 = New LocalPrintServer()

ht1 = New Hashtable

ht2 = New Hashtable

Timer1.Enabled = True

Timer1.Interval = 50

ht2.Add(job.JobIdentifier, job.Name)

Next

End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick

TextBox1.Text = TextBox1.Text & job.JobIdentifier.ToString & job.Name & vbNewLine

job.Pause()

End If

End If

Next

End Sub

End Class

Best regards,

Riquel

miércoles, 20 de agosto de 2008 8:13
    Moderador
  • Hi Riquel,

Thanks for the code, its working!, but is there any way to check if the printer was done printing?

What I mean is when i embedded the above code in my program, it execute and display that the printer is printing but how do i know if it is done?

Thanks again

Regards,

Lloyd

martes, 16 de septiembre de 2008 7:18
  • Hi Lloyd,

You can compare the current list to the previous list to know which job is finished in this scenario.

Best regards,
    Riquel
    miércoles, 17 de septiembre de 2008 3:10
    Moderador
  • Hi Cyber,

The snippet you provided will work perfectly in a scenario that I am setting up, the only problem is that it is only looking at the default printer's queue. I cant seem to figure out how to make it loop through all the printer queues and get the jobs from all printers installed on the machine. How could this code be modified to look at all printer queues on a system?

Thanks a lot!
    miércoles, 05 de agosto de 2009 13:48
  • Hi,

Thank you for this code...but I have a small problem.

When the Job is paused we still can go in "Printers" (of the control panel) and right click on the job and resume it.
    How can we block that IN this program ?

Something like :

if(job.isresume)
    job.pause()
    end if

??
    Thank you !
    miércoles, 12 de agosto de 2009 1:27
  • hi riquel,

Some how this code is not working for me. I have run the application and send prints to the
    default printer and its is not showing any thing in the text box and are not going in the loop at all

job.Pause()

End If

End If

Next

I am new to vb.net and most probably its a small mistake

sorry if its a stupid question

miércoles, 21 de octubre de 2009 13:11
  • Hello Riquel,

I found your code very helpfull and thanks for sharing, I just need some more assistance if you could help me, from this code I could gues your are expert in print programming and have good knowledge of it, any ways God bless your, next my first question is that, I would like to get the number of copies of a job, in the que and limit the users if they print more than selected copies the the queue should pause it. not the number of pages in a job, the number of copies, and the second thing is , this code works on the local machine, how if a print is sent from the network, is there any way that I can pause that print wich is coming from the network or another machine, on the network, most of my printers are connected through ip, and some are shared printers.

I would really appreciate, your co operation in this regards,

martes, 22 de noviembre de 2011 2:40