Monitor IIS and SQL on a different domain

Question

• HI,

I wanted to know if we can monitor SQL and IIS which is on a differnet domain. Suppose the Controller is on Domain 1 and the SQL and IIS is on Domain 2 can we monitor.

If not what can be done to monitor. I tried to add a user from Domain 1 as admin to Domain 2 which would have allowed me to monitor but that is not possible.

Waiting for your response.

I also learned that making changes to the registry entry will help in this case, can anyone suggest what changes need to be done.

Thanks,
    Rajeev

Friday, July 10, 2009 11:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• To get this working you will need to manually open an IPC channel to the SQL and IIS machines with an account that has permissions in that domain. This allows the account running the load tests to "piggyback" across that IPC channel.

i have found this site to be a great help getting this going myself.
    http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/tlingenfelder/archive/2009/06/18/performance-counters-timeouts-and-load-testing-with-visual-studio-2008.aspx

what you can do is create a small bat file and set it up to run in the .testrunconfig file as a setup script.

openipc.bat
    --------------------
    net use \\SQLSERVER\IPC$ password1 /user:DOMAIN1\USER /persistent:yes
    net use \\IISSERVER\IPC$ password2 /user:DOMAIN2\USER /persistent:yes

hth,

steve
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

We are not able to Communicate to IIS and SQL remotely through IPC. IIS and SQL are in different domain. Following error displayed when try to Connect through IPC

"System error 53 has occurred.
    The network path was not found."

Since we are in Different domain, is there any specific port number that need to be opened so the we can communicate through IPC?

Also load test machines and the service are on WAN under different domain. We are planning to do a IPC with a user account on the SQL and IIS machines and then monitor the counters. Will this work?

Thank You,

Abijith

Monday, July 20, 2009 2:12 PM