where are my programs installed to??

Question

• im puzzled as to where my published projects are being installed to when i run the setup.exe! ...ive looked in users/me/appdata/apps/2.0  but theres only folders with weird numbers on them and my program isnt in any of them :\

(using windows Vista by the way).  but where do they go i really want to see where my program is and what files its actually installed on the computer

im baffled lol

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:24 AM

Answers

• Select Tools/Options from the menu toolbar.  A dialog box opens with a list of options in the left window pane.  Click the + in front of Projects & Solutions.  Select General.  In the Visual Studio projects location box at the top right side, you will see the location of your projects.  I recommend creating a folder and locating it where you prefer beforehand.  Then change the path in the location box. 

Now that you know where your old projects were saved, you can move them all to your preferred folder.  If you try to access them from the Start page after they've been moved, they will no longer be found until you run them again from the File menu.  Just delete the old association when the question comes up.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:16 AM

All replies

• I was having the same question and was going to start a thread about that.
    Well, since you have already started it, then I will just continue it.

I installed my program and was wondering where it went. Then I put a line in my program to tell me where the program is located. It appears that the software is not installed under Programs Files, but it is somewhere inside the Windows folder. Try to put the code in your application:

messagebox.show(system.io.directory.getcurrentDirectory)

something like that.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:44 AM
  • Select Tools/Options from the menu toolbar.  A dialog box opens with a list of options in the left window pane.  Click the + in front of Projects & Solutions.  Select General.  In the Visual Studio projects location box at the top right side, you will see the location of your projects.  I recommend creating a folder and locating it where you prefer beforehand.  Then change the path in the location box. 

Now that you know where your old projects were saved, you can move them all to your preferred folder.  If you try to access them from the Start page after they've been moved, they will no longer be found until you run them again from the File menu.  Just delete the old association when the question comes up.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:16 AM
  • well, thanks for the notification. althou i haven't tried yet (but i will), it seems like the right answer for me.

thanks!
    Friday, April 13, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Hi Solitaire!

I believed your answer was right, but when I tried it, it is not what I meant to do.

I can see the location of my project, and mine is always located in Visual Studio 2005\Projects. The problem is: after publishing the application, I then try to install the application in my computer. The application is installed, but I can't find where the application has been installed. It's not in the Program Files, it's somewhere. Can we specify where we want to install our application?

Thanks a lot in advanced!!
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:12 AM
  • After I checked it, my application is installed in:

Local Settings\Apps\2.0\2LC9WN9K.V2B\QXZHHK17.QE8\myry..tion_a9465199b2fe2b89_0001.0000_acfaff353402b04d

What is this mean? Can it be installed under Program Files?

Thanks a lot!
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:34 AM