how to monitor network traffic

Question

• Here is my problem

- I live in a house with DSL coming in and being split to two routers, one for the two bottom floors and one for the top two floors.

- The internet gets really slow and feels like it's being stressed (probably because we have ten people in the house)

- I want to see who is on the entire network (both routers) and monitor each users traffic to see if someone is eating up all the bandwidth.

Here is the question:

Does anyone know what a good free open source tool for monitoring my network traffic usage is for each user on our home network and restricting or shaping each users traffic so they don't use more than a certain amount?

chuckdawit
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In a properly configured network you (as a user) have no access to data from other users, so you can neither monitor nor "shape" their traffic.

In other words, there is no software solution for your case. The only way to achieve a "fair" distribution of bandwidth is to insert a box (either some router with shaping capabilities or a PC configured to be a router) as the main (and only) connection to the DSL line, and distribute to the other routers from there.

Of course there´s always the possibility of appealing to your fellow residents´ community sense :-)

Cristian.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Microsoft Network Monitor may help (depending on your routers) - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en.

• Proposed as answer by StLuisRey Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by StLuisRey Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by witdaj Monday, August 22, 2011 7:14 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Hello, freeware are wireshark, capsa free, spiceworks...
    • Edited by samsonchen08 Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:49 AM found links
    • Proposed as answer by Steve JainMVP Monday, January 16, 2012 9:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Or you could get yourself a nice DDWRT and not only see all the users their connections and traffic but also the name and MAC of the device in question ie. XBOX MAC DELL ect,
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:58 PM
  • this is not true.

you can always use a sniffing program sutch as wireshark (or other sniffing program).

when the program is correctly configured you can see everything that passes in your network.
    I do have to say that this program ( when other users are not informed of the use of it) can violate the privacy of other users!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Here's how to run Wireshark... after you download it.

Start the trace via the interface, recreate the error and then "Follow the Stream"

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Actually what you said is wrong. If your network is setup properly unless you are poisoning the network (which is not done using wireshark) you cannot see all the data on the network. Switches (which most home routers have LAN facing) only send frames to the host they were destined for if they are in their table. So you would only see broadcasts and multicasts :/.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:11 PM
  • True but who wants to see ALL the data on the network anyway? It's enough to pick one single host or client and see just the stuff that passes by on that segment.  In fact sometimes its too much.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:00 PM
  • LAN Desktop Spy Monitor and LAN Employee Monitor are both good home network monitoring software, it helps you to monitor each users traffic .

• Edited by madcat99 Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:19 AM
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:15 AM