Having trouble with setup

Question

• I did the manual installation of the Visual C++ Express Edition and it tells me as the last step in the directions to click on setup.exe and follow directions.  The problem is when I click on setup.exe it tells me that it has a problem copying the C:\hiberfil.sys and when I searched for that file on my computer it was not there.  What is this file and how am I supposed to fix the problem?  Thanks!
    Friday, November 10, 2006 1:43 AM

Answers

• C:\hiberfil.sys file is a system file that is normally hidden and will not normally appear in the root folder directory for the C drive.

You can make it visible.  Open any folder view in Windows Explorer and select Tools | Folder Options ... | View | Advanced settings: Hidden files and folders | select Show hidden files and folders | click Apply.  While you're there, also uncheck Hide extensions for known file types if it is still checked.

What concerns me more is why Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition setup would touch this system file in any way.   (I don't even know why System Backup and Restore would copy it -- it's a big file.)

Exactly where did you find the "manual installation of the Visual C++ Express Edition" instructions? 

If you are on following the instructions on this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/

and you are able to burn CD-ROMs, I recommend that you burn the CD-ROM (at the "Burning a Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition to a CD" step.  The new CD-ROM will autostart when you insert it into a CD drive and it will work fine.  This will also give you a backup and a way to repeat the installation later if you are not satisfied with how it worked or need to repair your installation.  (It also takes less space than extracting the CD-ROM image to your hard drive and installing from there.)

If you cannot burn a CD-ROM, and must use the "Manually Installing an Express Edition on a local machine" approach, what software are you using to extract (or mount) the data in the ISO image file?

- Dennis

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:37 AM
  • Just to be clear.  When you make the CD-ROM and then you attempt to install from the CD-ROM, you receive a message that you require Windows XP Service Pack 2 before the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition can install?

If that is true, the use of IsoBuster will not make any difference.   The same limitations will apply either way.

When you say you have downloaded XP SP2 from Microsoft several times, do you mean via Windows Automatic Update?  Has it actually installed?  What fails: the download or the install?  What error message do you receive?

You can also obtain the Windows XP SP2 update on a free CD-ROM.  You can order the CD-ROM using this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

I think upgrading to Windows XP SP2 is the first problem that you must solve. 

- Dennis

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:57 PM

All replies

• C:\hiberfil.sys file is a system file that is normally hidden and will not normally appear in the root folder directory for the C drive.

You can make it visible.  Open any folder view in Windows Explorer and select Tools | Folder Options ... | View | Advanced settings: Hidden files and folders | select Show hidden files and folders | click Apply.  While you're there, also uncheck Hide extensions for known file types if it is still checked.

What concerns me more is why Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition setup would touch this system file in any way.   (I don't even know why System Backup and Restore would copy it -- it's a big file.)

Exactly where did you find the "manual installation of the Visual C++ Express Edition" instructions? 

If you are on following the instructions on this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/

and you are able to burn CD-ROMs, I recommend that you burn the CD-ROM (at the "Burning a Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition to a CD" step.  The new CD-ROM will autostart when you insert it into a CD drive and it will work fine.  This will also give you a backup and a way to repeat the installation later if you are not satisfied with how it worked or need to repair your installation.  (It also takes less space than extracting the CD-ROM image to your hard drive and installing from there.)

If you cannot burn a CD-ROM, and must use the "Manually Installing an Express Edition on a local machine" approach, what software are you using to extract (or mount) the data in the ISO image file?

- Dennis

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:37 AM
  • I tried to download the files to a CD and do the process from there and then it tells me that I don't have the required prerequisites and the one it mentions that I don't have is the Windows XP Service Pack 2. BUT...I have downloaded this from the Microsoft website like 5 times now and it still doesn't work! What am I supposed to do?  Also, I am using the IsoBuster program to do the extracting, which is the one that they give an example of in the instructions.

Friday, November 10, 2006 6:53 PM
  • Just to be clear.  When you make the CD-ROM and then you attempt to install from the CD-ROM, you receive a message that you require Windows XP Service Pack 2 before the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition can install?

If that is true, the use of IsoBuster will not make any difference.   The same limitations will apply either way.

When you say you have downloaded XP SP2 from Microsoft several times, do you mean via Windows Automatic Update?  Has it actually installed?  What fails: the download or the install?  What error message do you receive?

You can also obtain the Windows XP SP2 update on a free CD-ROM.  You can order the CD-ROM using this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

I think upgrading to Windows XP SP2 is the first problem that you must solve. 

- Dennis

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:57 PM
  • I don't think I was downloading from the right site to begin with...I never actually got a download thing for it until I went on the right site.  I will post again if I still have trouble.  Thanks so much for your help!
    Friday, November 10, 2006 8:38 PM