Feb 07 CTP GAT Install Fails: Can't find Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller

Question

• Windows XP (SP2)

Visual Studio 2005

I believe I downloaded the June CTP GAT and June GAX and installed these successfully.  I also installed the July (VB) Web Service Software Factory.  Then, realizing that there were updates available, I downloaded these and attempted to install:

Feb 07 GAX

Feb 07 GAT

Feb 07 SFT

The GAX I can get to install fine.  There's no uninstall for GAT (not that I can find, anyway).  The new GAT won't install because of the error in the subject line.  Similarly, the December 2006 WSSF (refresh) won't install because of the same error.  I have looked in PublicAssemblies and I cannot find any file called Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller.dll.

The Feb 07 SFT won't install because it is looking for the June CTP for GAT.

At one point, I had an issue with the mvp.xml.dll causing problems, but I was able to work around that by using gacutil /i to register the assembly.

Ay de mi.  Is there anyway to get this done now?  Or do I need to uninstall Studio and start fresh?

Regards,

hmscott

Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:00 PM

Answers

• For some reason it seems that you don't have the Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio assembly in the PublicAssemblies folder.

You could try to use Fusion to figure out where is trying to locate the assembly. Try to repair the installation before try to uninstall.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Hi Jeannie,

This assembly is part of GAX. Please try repairing the GAX installation, that should bring back the assembly.

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:40 AM
  • Where did you download the HoL from? The updated version of this HoL is bundled with the Clarius SFT (http://softwarefactoriestoolkit.net), that one should work out of the box with the latest GAX version, otherwise you will need to modify references, etc, manually in order to point them to the latest GAX assemblies.

EntLib shouldn't matter in this case, as it is not required by either GAX or the HoL.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Before try to update to the Feb version of GAX/GAT you should uninstall the previous versions, to do that you also should uninstall any previously installed package, in your case that is WSSF July CTP.

So, try to uninstall the packages in the following order:
    - Uninstall WSSF.
    - Uninstall any other package that you've registered, that could be any guidance package created using GAT.
    - Uninstall GAT (June version in your case)
    - Uninstall GAX. (June version in your case)

You can uninstall those items through control panel/add remove programs or using the same msi that you used to install that.

Regarding the Clarius SFT Feb 07, few days after the releasing, we did some fixes in the installer so ensure that you're having the latest msi.

hope it helps.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:37 PM
  • I was able to uninstall WSSF.

I don't think I registered any other packages.

I can't find GAT To uninstall it.  It does not appear to be anywhere in the Add/Remove Programs list.

When I go to uninstall GAX, I get the error "Can't find Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller" and the uninstall process rolls back (leaving it installed).

Regards,

hmscott

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:29 PM
  • For some reason it seems that you don't have the Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio assembly in the PublicAssemblies folder.

You could try to use Fusion to figure out where is trying to locate the assembly. Try to repair the installation before try to uninstall.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Where do you get this assembly?

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio

Friday, May 25, 2007 2:59 PM
  • I've the same problem.

I've downloaded the "Hands on Lab 2005" solution for GAT testing, but I can't find some references,

although I've instaled Microsoft Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007, Microsoft Guidance Automation Extensions and Microsoft Guidance Automation Toolkit.

Bye.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Hi Jeannie,

This assembly is part of GAX. Please try repairing the GAX installation, that should bring back the assembly.

thanks,
    -Victor.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:40 AM
  • Where did you download the HoL from? The updated version of this HoL is bundled with the Clarius SFT (http://softwarefactoriestoolkit.net), that one should work out of the box with the latest GAX version, otherwise you will need to modify references, etc, manually in order to point them to the latest GAX assemblies.

EntLib shouldn't matter in this case, as it is not required by either GAX or the HoL.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:44 AM