Performance Level

Question

• Three questions about performance:

1) The Microsoft Validation tool 

The HD DVD forum performance document (http://www.dvdforum.org/images/HD_DVD-Video_Guideline20060828.pdf) is a great document to understand performance guidelines.  I notice that the Validator seems to be running a Player Performance Analysis, and I wonder... Is this analysis built from the DVD Forum Guideline above?

2) Performance Level

Annex W speaks of a Performance Class that is not accessable by API, and then references the pdf document above.  Is there a concept of player performance level (like a player of Performance Class 1 doesn't support x, y, z features and this could be monitored with code)?

3) Capapbility Parameters

Are these the only player support parameters that can be monitored through code?

Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:21 AM

Answers

• I think the validator just looks at things like total # of XPath expressions or some other basic metric; there is no way to validate (eg) pixel buffer usage with static analysis.

There is a concept of a player performance level, and Performance Level 2 has been discussed in the forum. I don't think it has anything that impacts HDi though (it is about A/V decode and output requirements)

Finally, the parameters (and associated API properties) are indeed the only things you can monitor; there is no way to (eg) query what kind of CPU or how much RAM you have, etc.

Monday, April 09, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• I think the validator just looks at things like total # of XPath expressions or some other basic metric; there is no way to validate (eg) pixel buffer usage with static analysis.

There is a concept of a player performance level, and Performance Level 2 has been discussed in the forum. I don't think it has anything that impacts HDi though (it is about A/V decode and output requirements)

Finally, the parameters (and associated API properties) are indeed the only things you can monitor; there is no way to (eg) query what kind of CPU or how much RAM you have, etc.

Monday, April 09, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Thank you Peter.
    Monday, April 09, 2007 7:53 PM