Questions about authentication with Crystal Reports

Question

• Hey all,

First off, I know nothing about Crystal ... I've only deal with reporting services thus far. So everything you can tell me would helpeful. I have a couple authentication issues on my hands that I'd like to learn more about.

1) On one of my SQL servers housing data being fed to a crystal report continually logs Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON' in the errorlog. The host address of this error is in fact the application server housing Crystal Reports. These reports are built using windows authentication. When the user opens the report, it prompts them to enter their username/pass twice, and then it retrieves the data. This is the same time when the error above is displayed.

So I'm curious to know as to if the first pass of authentication fails, how does it work a second time through? I'm assuming the failure happens on initial connection and then the prompt for username/password is presented to the user, but why does it ask for it twice? To resolve this issue, should the crystal services be running under a domain account that has the appropriate access to the destination SQL server? If so, what services (There are quite a few of them ...)?

2) Can authentication be impersonated in Crystal? (we have version 10). I'm facing an issue where I need to allow a report to a windows security only server and I don't want to manage user nor group security. I would prefer to use a domain account and impersonate the report the run as that account and then manage the permissions appropriately.

Thanks all!
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:17 PM

All replies

• Any assistance would be most appreciated.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:30 PM
  • Anyone?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Hey Adam,
    Did you get any solution yet ? I have problems with Crystal Reports when impersonation too ?
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Nope, actually back on this topic now trying to find an answer again ...
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:21 PM