Visual Studio Express Edition and MySQL

Question

• Is there any way to connect Visual Studio Expres Edition to MySQL and collect data with C#?

Thank's

Friday, December 29, 2006 12:05 AM

Answers

• That's not true Figo Mei I just ported an Application I was building from MySql to Sql Server Express and both of them were / are working TCP Based, you just need to change your connection string to indicate the use of TCP instead of Name Pipes . And I'm programming in Visual C# Express Edition.

For MySql using ODBC is the easiest way out, while not the best performing one. OleDB should be able too. I'm using OleDB now, but on SQL Express. It's all a matter of finding a valid provider. In the MySql homepage there are all the providers you need to install to make it work. Hope I have been useful.
    Friday, December 29, 2006 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, Milan

Visual Studio Express Edition only supports local access and local sqlserver express.

Thank you

Friday, December 29, 2006 3:48 AM
  • That's not true Figo Mei I just ported an Application I was building from MySql to Sql Server Express and both of them were / are working TCP Based, you just need to change your connection string to indicate the use of TCP instead of Name Pipes . And I'm programming in Visual C# Express Edition.

For MySql using ODBC is the easiest way out, while not the best performing one. OleDB should be able too. I'm using OleDB now, but on SQL Express. It's all a matter of finding a valid provider. In the MySql homepage there are all the providers you need to install to make it work. Hope I have been useful.
    Friday, December 29, 2006 12:14 PM
  • It is wery useful. There are great number of hosting providers with MySQL support because it is free and therefore host is much cheeper. Thank you people very much.  :)
    Friday, December 29, 2006 8:32 PM
  • search mysql .net connector. I'm using it in one of my projects. In fact there is also a .net connector for Postgresql.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:43 AM