Visual Basic 2008 Express - Templates

Question

• Hello,

It appears that Visual Basic 2008 Express will create templates, but there does not seem to be a way to use these templates. Maybe I am creating them incorrectly or missing something entirely on how to use a created template.

Does any body have experience with creating and using templates with Visual Basic 2008 Express? (Assuming it is possible...)

Thank you in advance!!!

Kyle
    Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Technically speaking vb does not support any thing but one template, but one template is all you
    need?

One template is exactly what you need on a one template basis.

Renee
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Thank you for your response...

I am not sure what you mean by "one template is all you need". I will have to disagree unless you know another way of keep references added in for one project to always stay added so I do not have to go and manually add the same *.dll's everytime I need to create a new class or app. However even if this was a solution, one may not always want the same references added all the time for other projects... This is one case of why a resuable template in Visual Basic 2008 Express would be nice...

Thank you again for your response.

Has anybody had any experience with this situation?

Kyle
    Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:58 PM
  • I have saved projects as templates . What VBE 2008 does is save the project as a .zip file in my templates directory . When I start a new project I have the option of choosing one of my templates and a unique name for the project . How is it your createing the template ? File menu export template ?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Yes, that is how I attempted to export my templates. I get the zip file, however there is nothing under "my templates" when I try to create a new project\class from these templates I have exported.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your response.
    Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:33 PM
  • What VB is trying to do is something else. "One template" is an expression. You may make multiple templates, all copies of the other, varying what you want to vary.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:05 PM
  • There is a checkbox on the export dialogs for automatically importing new templates into VS did you check it when you exported the template ?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Yes I did check the check box and my pathing is standard or I did not alter anything from the installation...

Any other ideas?

Thank you all for your help!

Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:23 PM
  • No can't think of any your templates should be there when you click the create project link .
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:27 PM
  • You might want to try the below step-by-step process and create a new template item:

http://www.vbdotnetheaven.com/UploadFile/progalex/AdsCreateExportClasses01242006114527AM/AdsCreateExportClasses.aspx
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:52 PM