none
Approval Workflow Regenerates After Task Is Marked Complete

Question

• I inherited maintenance of an approval workflow that was set up several years ago.  I am not a programmer but have used SharePoint Designer to make some changes.  After one change about a month ago, the workflow keeps regenerating when the engineer in charge of the item marks it as complete.  In other words, it starts the workflow over from scratch and emails the first approver as if this is a brand new item.  I can then go in and terminate the workflow to stop it from continuing.

Let me describe the change made a month ago.  There are three approvers, but the way the process was set up, the second approver still gets asked if they want to approve the item if the first approver rejects the change.  Then the workflow rejects the change if either party had rejected it.  The second approver requested that we change this, so that if the first approver rejects the change, the second approver doesn't get notified.  I made this change and it is working.  I wonder if there is a non-documented limitation in the process that limits you to two levels of approval, and perhaps that's the reason it was set up the way it was initially.  Could this be the source of the problem?

One other note.  I have completely removed all old instances of the workflow.  There is only one in existence now.  However, when the third approver is looking at the choices (approve, reject, etc), there is a section at the bottom asking if they want to *start* the already running workflow!  It only appears when the third approver is looking at the options.  This, too, points to the possibility that the workflow can't handle more than 2 levels.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Any help would be appreciated!
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• I think you have also changed the workflow to run when the item is modified and that is why it keeps restarting every time the workflow task is completed.

Make your workflow start automatically when Item is created in the library, and NOT when it is Modified.

See if this helps
    Dennis Alzoubi
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Check this out, it might be helpful:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/07/13/service-pack-2-prevents-an-on-change-workflow-from-starting-itself.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage
    Dennis Alzoubi
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:12 PM

All replies

• I think you have also changed the workflow to run when the item is modified and that is why it keeps restarting every time the workflow task is completed.

Make your workflow start automatically when Item is created in the library, and NOT when it is Modified.

See if this helps
    Dennis Alzoubi
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Check this out, it might be helpful:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/07/13/service-pack-2-prevents-an-on-change-workflow-from-starting-itself.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage
    Dennis Alzoubi
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Dennis,

Thank you.  One of our developers just noticed the same thing.  I'm going to fix it this afternoon.  Thanks very much!
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:27 PM