none
How to use KPI to display multi-level financial budget?

Question

• Hi All,

I have a question when I am using the KPI to demonstrate financial data for my organisation. What I want to see is:

Project Managers (PA) will be able to view Project task costs: PTA,PTB,PTC.
    Portfolio Managers (A) will be able to view Projects budget: PA, PB,PC,PD, which is sum-up value of each task.
    Top Level Managers will see overall budgets of four portfolios : A,B,C,D, which is the sum-up value of each portfolios.

So, I have created a KPI to display financial data in Portfolio Managers' level, which is a sum value of the KPI Value indicating the acutal cost of each project, and it is working fine.
    However, the question is if I can sum of the portfolio budget and pass its value to the Top level Manager, and make sure they can see the total budget of the portfolios?

It drives me nuts! Thanks for help!

BTW, I can use JQuery, but no CODE, or SharePoint Designer due to company policy...

Cheers,
    NewWay
    New Way to KM
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 6:36 AM

Answers

• Can you just put all your project tasks in one task list? Create a view for each project, i.e., 5 project task views in total. And create one KPI list. The 5 project level indicators can be based on these project task views. And the program level indicator can be based on all list item view.  Since you don’t have indicator on indicators now, you don’t have to use the manual update rules.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• Could you please kindly share with us how are the Project task costs defined in SharePoint? Are they defined in a SharePoint list with one list item for one task? And how are the Project budget defined? In another SharePoint list?

How do you define KPI? Are you using the SharePoint KPI list template?
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Thanks Yuming,

All those task costs are stored in a list for each project. i.e. Project A has a list of task costs consists of 5 tasks. Project Budget is the total sum up of these 5 tasks. Therefore, in order to present the project budget, a KPI has been setup using SP KPI list template which is linked to the project tasks list.

The problem comes when managers want to see overall budget across all the projects. We created another KPI list (Program level) pointing to different KPI Lists (Project level), and tried to get a sum up value of the project budget. It is working, but we have to configure the KPI list to use manual rule update in order to get the sum up, but it is a little bit difficiult for managers to click on "update" option and get latest data.

Cheers,
    Newway

New Way to KM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:36 PM
  • Can you just put all your project tasks in one task list? Create a view for each project, i.e., 5 project task views in total. And create one KPI list. The 5 project level indicators can be based on these project task views. And the program level indicator can be based on all list item view.  Since you don’t have indicator on indicators now, you don’t have to use the manual update rules.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:56 AM