How do I get a registration key or register my free(I think) Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition

Question

• I am college student, I downloaded a Micor visual Basic 2005 and successfully registered it.  I then became aware they were discontinuing 2005 and update for a free 2008l. I did it. I never got a register key only in a number of days it will not work if I don't register.  i called microsoft and MSDN subscrber from my school. No one has not given a definite it answer. Help
    • Moved by Riquel_Dong Friday, July 10, 2009 1:23 AM one issue about registering VB Express (From:Visual Basic Express Edition)
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try the Help category in an Express version and see if there isn't a registration there.
    Renee
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 12:30 AM
  • If I remember correctly, the 2008 Express editions no longer have the registration requirement.

I don't know this for sure, but 2005 registration codes might no longer be supported now that the 2008 editions have been out for a while.

Get 2008 here:  http://www.microsoft.com/express/
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Ohh I think Binary coder is correct. I never thought someone would try to register 2005.
    Renee
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:11 AM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/regfaq/

Registration FAQ
    Coding for fun Be a good forum member mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful
    • Proposed as answer by Martin Xie - MSFT Monday, July 13, 2009 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:31 AM
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 2:46 AM
  • What occurs when you click  "Register Product" on the "Help" menu?
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:24 AM
  • Try the Help category in an Express version and see if there isn't a registration there.
    Renee
    I tried that and I get register now or give me a register key number, so I don't have register key no. so I do the register now. 
    And it prompts for my Window ID e-mail info and I give it and then it looks like it is trying to link to somewhere and just never happens and I get no response. I have waited for 20 mins. and nothing. Now what?
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:17 PM
  • If I remember correctly, the 2008 Express editions no longer have the registration requirement.

I don't know this for sure, but 2005 registration codes might no longer be supported now that the 2008 editions have been out for a while.

Get 2008 here:  http://www.microsoft.com/express/
    If they don't have a register requirment, why am I being prompted to do so?
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Ohh I think Binary coder is correct. I never thought someone would try to register 2005.
    Renee
    I don't think I actually put a key in, I just got a e-mail of I have successfully register 2005 when I was down, downloading and installing it.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:19 PM
  • On second thought. you really should down load 2008 Express and try to convert the files to 2008.
    Renee
    I have download and install 2008, the problem is I have 8 days to register or it expires. I don't know how or where to get definitive info.
    I contact microsoft no conclusive help.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:22 PM
  • What occurs when you click  "Register Product" on the "Help" menu?
    I get register now prompt or give me the register key prompt. So of course not having the key I go to the register now prompt and click on it and it then ask for my Windows ID e-mail address and password and then it looks like its trying to do something and stays in a waiting state and I get nothing back. Help
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Make sure that you aren't signed into your Hotmail account and clear your cookies.  Then try the register product routine again.
    • Proposed as answer by Martin Xie - MSFT Monday, July 13, 2009 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:31 AM
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:47 PM
  • how do I go about getting a register key or to register it. I have 7 days left.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:55 PM
  • What's the purpose of starting a duplicate thread.  Your problem is not with registering VBE.  It's logging into the registration site.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 2:35 PM
  • What's the purpose of starting a duplicate thread.  Your problem is not with registering VBE.  It's logging into the registration site.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 2:36 PM
  • G.Tate,

You're wasting my time with a duplicate post?  You've gotten several very good answers on another thread. If you have more problems, reply on that thread.

David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 2:36 PM