none
I am trying to modify an existing workflow in WSS 3.0 using SharePoint Designer 2007

Question

• I am trying to modify an existing workflow in a WSS 3.0 site using Sharepoint Designer 2007, while the existing workflow is doing what it is supposed to I need to add an email notification but I can't see any of my workflows in SharePoint Designer.  Why not?
    Monday, July 20, 2009 11:26 PM

Answers

• Because it's not a workflow editor for that type of workflow.  SPD workflows are built through an GUI that is much different than what you are talking about.  You cannot edit built-in workflows with SPD.  We can't say that anymore than we already have.  I don't know why you keep asking that - we've said it in no uncertain terms.

SPD is not a code development tool.  It is a web development tool, but you don't write .NET code in there.  You do that with Visual Studio, and that is required for building or modifying that type of workflow.  With SPD, you can create your own from scratch and then modify them.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:36 PM

All replies

• You can't - they do not interact.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Define "existing". If you mean a sample workflow (Three State Workflow, Approval (MOSS only) ) or a workflow someone created in Visual Studio, then you can't use SharePoint Designer (SPD) to make changes.

If the work was created in SPD, then and only then can it be updated in SPD.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Monday, July 20, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Oh yeah.  If you're talking about existing SPD workflows that others have built, then you may not have access to the workflow library that can only be found through SPD (unless you know the direct URL).  This is a list with its own permissions related to workflows.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:25 AM
  • Then how do I modify a workflow in WSS 3.0?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:55 PM
  • What kind of workflow? If it is not a SharePoint Desinger workflow then you would need the original C#, VB or whatever code and then you would use Visual Studio to edit, recompile and redeploy the code.

Microsoft supplied the Three State, Approval and other workflows as samples / demos. The cool thing is that they are generally useful as is. If you really want to rewrite these, you are out of luck as MS did not release the code. I think someone duplicated the Approval workflow and has the code available on their blog site, or maybe even codeplex.com...

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:31 PM
  • We created a site Window SharePoint Services 3.0 site for our training departments using one of the MS templates called " Employee Training, Scheduling and Materials" in that there is a tri-stae workfolw that when someone registers for a class it palces their name in the registered list, if the course is full it gives them a message that says something to that effect.  In addition we would like it to email training and have them put on a waiting list.  How do I add this step to the existing workflow, I thought I had to do so in SharePoint Designer 2007, but I can not see the workflows for the site, but I see them working.  I'm confused your documentation is very unclear in this respect.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:33 PM
  • As I said above Microsoft supplied the Three State, Approval and other workflows as samples / demos. They are not modifiable without the source code and Microsoft did not release the source code.

There are Sharepoin Designer workflows and Visual Studio workflows. The Three State workflow is a Visual Studio workflow. The Visual Studio workflows cannot be seen or edited from SharePoint Designer.

Your best bet may be to:

A) Create a workflow entirely in SharePoint Designer that does what the three state workflow does.

B) Create a new SharePoint Designer workflow that monitors the Choice list used by the three state workflow and sends an email when the state is changed to the final state. The Three State work and this workflow would be running independently, but when the first one changes the state to the final state, then the SPD workflow sends the email.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Thanks, what brought this whole thing up is if you try to edit the workflow in WSS 3.0 with the browser an error message pops up and says it cannot be edited in the browser and must be edited in an application like sharepoint designer.  Thats why I thought I could edit the workflow in sharepoint designer.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Clayton,

Im confused, if I open the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 site by copying the browser link into SharePoint Designer 2007 I can view and edit all of the code for that site.  If there are workflows associated with that site and I know there are as I saw them at one point.  Why cant I edit them using the workflow designer and second why cant I see them anymore is there a setting in SP Designer that I could have turned off?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Because it's not a workflow editor for that type of workflow.  SPD workflows are built through an GUI that is much different than what you are talking about.  You cannot edit built-in workflows with SPD.  We can't say that anymore than we already have.  I don't know why you keep asking that - we've said it in no uncertain terms.

SPD is not a code development tool.  It is a web development tool, but you don't write .NET code in there.  You do that with Visual Studio, and that is required for building or modifying that type of workflow.  With SPD, you can create your own from scratch and then modify them.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Perhaps you could answer a similar question for me.

I have created a Workflow in SharePoint Designer and need the workflow to run with elevated permissions regaurdless of the user permissions that kickoff the workflow. The workflow runs on a InfoPath form library for requesting vacation. The form then moves from the drop box to the archive library where employees will not have access to it. The workflow fails because the users that kickoff the workflow do not have access to that library. I have googled for several days and found tons of code examples. My programming background is pretty limited, I understand Public vs Private classes and methods but don't know where the code is stored for the workflow I created in SPD. I could probably figure out how to modify the code with the examples I found if I only knew where it was. SPD only displays the xml xoml and rules documents. If there is a easier method to accomplish my goal while restricting access to those resources Im all ears. 

SharePoint 2007  W/Services 3.0

SharePoint Designer 2007

Server 2003

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:38 PM