Monday, March 12, 2012 9:59 PM
Hi I cannot start my Visual Studio 2010 Professional. When I go to run it a pop up box says "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close". Then another pop up says "Microsoft Visual Studio has stopped working".
It doesn't even allow me to open the program. I tried to reinstall it but that doesnt seem to work.
Any ideas what might be up??
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:18 AM
As Visual Studio 2010 uses .NET Framework 4.0, you might want to check the integrity of .NET 4.0.
Please run this tool, targeting 4.0:
Post the first 15 lines and last 15 lines of tool output here.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:30 AMI ran that tool and still the same errors appearing when i go to run VS
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:44 AM
Hi johnycoyne, please follow the steps below to collect the Activity Log of VS 2010 so that more error details can be retrieved.
1. Click "Start"
2. Click "All Programs"
3. Click "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010"
4. Click "Visual Studio Tools"
5. Click "Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)"
6. Type "devenv /log"
7. Once the program crashes, please go to %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ (you can paste this in Run)
8. Upload the ActivityLog.xml file to SkyDrive or any free file hosting provider and post back the link here
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:42 PM
The tool checks you .NET Framework. It does not fix anything. I asked you to run it so we can identify your problem.
Please post the output as requested. Did .NET 4.0 verify successfully (look at the last few lines of the tool output)?
- Edited by pvdg42MVP Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:44 PM