Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:50 AM
We've problem starting the Build agent service on Virtual lab management environment
We're using the following configuration:
TFS-2010 SP1 and SCVMM-2008R2 up and running fine and have created single virtual machine running Win7 SP1. Our Hyper-V hosts are all 2008-R2.
When installing only Build Agent, without the other agents we on the VM, were able to start build agent service (See TFSBuildServiceHost -Working Station.exe log).
After installing Lab Agent, Test Agent, VS SP1, TFS SP1, VS SP1 Patch and TFS SP1 and composing the VM to a Virtual lab management environment (Single machine)
We were unable to start build agent service, we tried to recreate build agent, check for permission and security issues, all of these gave the same result, when trying to test connection from build agent to the controller on the build machine we got this error:
"Build Agent status is Unavailable
The agent status has been changed by the Team Foundation Server at 9/14/2011 (:02:24 AM GMT.
Reason: There was no endpoint listening at http://winie9new.ewave.co.il:9191/Build/v3.0/Service/Agent/74 that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, id present, for more details.
Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:25 AM
Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:37 PM
I solved this problem finally just yesterday in fact. The issue for me was that the TFS server could not resolve the build service endpoint on the build agent machine. For me, it was because the endpoint contained a machine name that was not propagated through DNS so the TFS server couldn't access it. The way I finally got it to work was by adding the build agent's machine name with its IP address to the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file on the TFS server.
One solution I tried that would be better, in my opinion (if it worked), was changing the endpoint to use the IP address instead of the machine name. I think this is what http://www.bitsntricks.com/tfs-2010-build-service/ is describing. This worked on the box where I have the build controller, but not where I have the build agent. Every time I try it on the build agent machine, as soon as I close the Build Service Properties dialog box, the machine name comes back and the IP address change is not applied. I'm guessing this may be because the build service on the agent machine is managed by Lab Manager because I get a message when I try to unregister the build service from TFS that says I can't because it is managed by Visual Studio Lab Management. I may start another thread on that issue because I don't think the above solution is going to work for us long-term.